FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1142410-alaska-airlines-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free-2010-2014-a.html)

Boraxo Dec 13, 2010 12:37 am

Can you use MVPG paper upgrade certificates after you lose Gold status?

beckoa Dec 13, 2010 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 15437316)

yes... they are give them out as 'guest certs' so not sure why one would have an issue...

BLI-Flyer Dec 13, 2010 7:11 am

Yes, but they will have to be someone else's certificates. The expiration date on your certificates matches the expiration date on your MVPG status. So if your MVPG status expires December 31 this year, that's also the expiration date on your upgrade certificates. (Just wanted to point this out in case you were thinking about saving this year's certificates for next year - it won't work because the certificates will have expired.)

BOB W Dec 13, 2010 8:32 pm

Yes, you can or you can give them to anyone else to use. They are fully transferable as long as they are used before the expiration date..

JasonDelta Dec 14, 2010 9:42 am

I've got a quick question about partner miles. I flew recently AA LAX-BOS for business, and while the travel agent who books the tickets is usually pretty good about making sure my AS MP# is on the itinerary, I realized at the airport that it had not been entered. Unfortunately I realized this as I was waiting to board at the gate, so I quickly used my smartphone to go to the AA website to put it in. I'm just wondering if this was possibly too late for it to register for the first leg of the flight (that left just 15 minutes after I made this update)? Anyone have any experience posting their MP# this late in the game?

BLI-Flyer Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by JasonDelta (Post 15447530)
I've got a quick question about partner miles. I flew recently AA LAX-BOS for business, and while the travel agent who books the tickets is usually pretty good about making sure my AS MP# is on the itinerary, I realized at the airport that it had not been entered. Unfortunately I realized this as I was waiting to board at the gate, so I quickly used my smartphone to go to the AA website to put it in. I'm just wondering if this was possibly too late for it to register for the first leg of the flight (that left just 15 minutes after I made this update)? Anyone have any experience posting their MP# this late in the game?

If your boarding pass (you did save it, right?) doesn't have a frequent flyer number on it, you can e-mail, mail, or fax it to AS and have the segment credited to your account. http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileageplan/faqs/Credit.asp

JasonDelta Dec 14, 2010 11:37 am

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer (Post 15448255)
If your boarding pass (you did save it, right?) doesn't have a frequent flyer number on it, you can e-mail, mail, or fax it to AS and have the segment credited to your account. http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileageplan/faqs/Credit.asp

Yes, definitely saved the BP as I figured that would be my back-up option. I guess I was just hoping the last minute MP# addition to the reservation would do the trick. Is there any problem with duplication (e.g. faxing in BP, even though AA has MP# and is in the process of posting miles) just to make sure it posts?

beckoa Dec 14, 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JasonDelta (Post 15448330)
Yes, definitely saved the BP as I figured that would be my back-up option. I guess I was just hoping the last minute MP# addition to the reservation would do the trick. Is there any problem with duplication (e.g. faxing in BP, even though AA has MP# and is in the process of posting miles) just to make sure it posts?

I'd wait a week or two to see if it posts... and if the return posts w/o the outbound, fax it in...

JasonDelta Dec 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 15449705)
I'd wait a week or two to see if it posts... and if the return posts w/o the outbound, fax it in...

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just so impatient and wanting to see my status change (last week's trips will push me over to MVPG) haha ;)

beckoa Dec 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by JasonDelta (Post 15450003)
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm just so impatient and wanting to see my status change (last week's trips will push me over to MVPG) haha ;)

Definitely understand... waiting for MVPG75K to update fully myself.

Any upcoming AS flights in the next two weeks... or do you want the status to just show :D

jackal Dec 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by JasonDelta (Post 15447530)

Did you put it in your reservation or on the on-line check-in screen? Having never flown AA, I'm not sure how integrated their regular reservations system is with the OLCI system. DL's seems pretty integrated (i.e. any changes you make to the reservation will show up immediately in OLCI, and any changes you make in OLCI will show up immediately in the reservation), but I'm not sure about AA.

In any case, were I in your shoes, I probably would have walked up to a gate agent and asked them in person to make sure my AS Mileage Plan number was in the reservation and on my boarding pass. That probably would have been the best insurance.

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 15450031)

Poor sod, still waiting. Some of us know how to force things through and are already confirmed as shiny, 75-karat Golds! :p

JasonDelta Dec 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 15450031)

Any upcoming AS flights in the next two weeks... or do you want the status to just show :D

I've got an LAX-SEA-PDX flight coming up this weekend, but mostly just want to see the fruits of my labor! :D

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 15451389)
In any case, were I in your shoes, I probably would have walked up to a gate agent and asked them in person to make sure my AS Mileage Plan number was in the reservation and on my boarding pass. That probably would have been the best insurance.

I put the MP# on my reservation online - didn't even think to have the GA put it on my BP... I'll remember that if it ever happens again (hopefully not though). It appeared on my return flight's BP, so at least AA's systems aren't so archaic that it didn't catch the change 3 days later.

BOB W Dec 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 15451389)
Poor sod, still waiting. Some of us know how to force things through and are already confirmed as shiny, 75-karat Golds! :p

He beat you. Check out post #442 of the 75K thread.:cool:

jackal Dec 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 15451720)
He beat you. Check out post #442 of the 75K thread.:cool:

All he said there was that his miles had posted and he was waiting for the status update processor to run. Mine already has. :p

danimal78 Dec 14, 2010 9:22 pm

MVP Upgrade when travelling on a companion fare

I'm MVP and will be travelling with someone who is not. I am on the regular fare, and he is on the companion 99 dollar fare. Is there anyway for my to upgrade to first class, and leave him in the back, or will I be stuck in the back with him? ;)