FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1142410-alaska-airlines-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free-2010-2014-a.html)

baliktad Sep 6, 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 19264794)
Good news is that calling AS was easy: no hold time and they provided the AS confirmation number.

Bad news is that no seats are available on the AS site either, and I can't edit the FF# with the Delta number already there. Unless there's a backdoor, such as setting up a new AS account and getting access to more itinerary editing tools than the screen you see when you type in a confirmation number.

That said, I'm assuming if I call AS again, they could just change the FF# over the phone? Or would the fact that I'm ticketed via DL prevent them from adding an AA number to the itin?

I'd definitely prefer earning AA miles and having access to the full seatmap if it's possible... :)

DL may or may not be amenable to changing the FF number (particularly to an AA one, not even sure they would support entering that). In any case, you can check in online at exactly T-24. At that point you will be asked to reconfirm your mileage earning option and can put in your AA FF number. All unoccupied seats will be available to select from at that point anyway regardless of your mileage earning affiliation.

spence35 Sep 6, 2012 10:30 am

Originally Posted by kwl747 (Post 19262600)
I fly this route about 7 times a year and the cheapest I've seen this year for that flight is $169ow ai, with $210-$243ow being the most 'common' price range. If you can get it under $200ow I would buy, although with the AS price guarantee, if the trip is going to occur, mine as well purchase now to avoid possible higher fares.

As for the redeye and schedule changes. I've been booted off the past few years too, so I would book knowing that it might get cancelled and you put on a different flight. However, I didn't check the times but wonder if the aircraft flying the SEA redeye flies SEA-MCO-SAN and the aircraft flying the SAN redeye flies SAN-MCO-SEA, or do both aircraft do a turn?

I'm thinking the 739er will be perfect on this route in the winter, since AS tends to have demand for more than 1 daily flight but not 2.

Yeah, I'm actually not too worried about the pricing of the flights. They seem relatively low at the moment. It's more the scheduling.

We fly this route whenever we go to Disney World in January. For the past 2 years, they had the SEA-MCO red-eye running every night. Our vacation is booked so that we were planning on arriving Friday morning. We figured we'd plan on taking the same red-eye we've always taken on Thursday night. Problem is, that red-eye isn't running nightly in January, but only Friday and Saturday night.

I was hoping they would run this flight throughout the week, but it's looking like that's a no-go at this point. I asked their twitter rep about it last night and they said they made their winter changes 2 weeks ago, so it's pretty unlikely that they'll expand that red-eye to more nights. :td:

It's not the end of the world for us, but it does throw a wrench in our plans. We may have to take Thursday off to catch the 9am nonstop flight, or we can think about taking the SEA-SAN-MCO red-eye, which I'd prefer not to do as that involves way more flying.

We'll have to hold off on booking until the 19th, as that's when I should get my companion fare again. Hopefully there are seats left on the Thursday 9am flight in 2 weeks; it's already almost booked completely in non-Flex/Elite Status seating.

nomii Sep 6, 2012 2:51 pm

I have about $40 in my alaska wallet (due to previous flight price reductions).
These will expire in about 2 months.

All my travel for next 4-5 months is already booked, so I don't envision buying alaska flights anytime before the expiry date.

What are my options to not have my wallet funds expire? Can I buy a refundable ticket and cancel it or something?

jackal Sep 6, 2012 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by noamaan (Post 19266915)
Can I buy a refundable ticket and cancel it or something?

Shh. ;)

pinniped Sep 7, 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 19264862)
DL may or may not be amenable to changing the FF number (particularly to an AA one, not even sure they would support entering that). In any case, you can check in online at exactly T-24. At that point you will be asked to reconfirm your mileage earning option and can put in your AA FF number. All unoccupied seats will be available to select from at that point anyway regardless of your mileage earning affiliation.

Yeah, I *know* DL wouldn't. :) But could AS? Now I have an AS confirmation number: could I call them and have them wipe out my DL number in their system and insert an AA one?

Seems like a simple question but I've never really thought about it because AS is one of those rare birds that partners across the alliances. At the end of the day, who awards frequent flier miles? The ticketing airline (DL ticket, DL flight number) or the operating airline (AS metal)?

baliktad Sep 7, 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 19271044)
Yeah, I *know* DL wouldn't. :) But could AS? Now I have an AS confirmation number: could I call them and have them wipe out my DL number in their system and insert an AA one?

Seems like a simple question but I've never really thought about it because AS is one of those rare birds that partners across the alliances. At the end of the day, who awards frequent flier miles? The ticketing airline (DL ticket, DL flight number) or the operating airline (AS metal)?

He who issues the ticket, controls the ticket. I don't expect you'll be able to call up AS and get them to change a DL-issued ticket. But instead of asking here, why not just call AS and ask them yourself? Not sure why you're so reluctant to call AS.

blr1222 Sep 10, 2012 12:26 am

I'm flying on an award ticket in first class later this week. I'm going from DEN-SEA-HNL-SEA-DEN.

I know I will get lounge access at the Board Room in SEA, but do I get lounge access at partner lounges in DEN and HNL?

Thank you in advance for your help!

beckoa Sep 10, 2012 1:49 am

Originally Posted by blr1222 (Post 19285881)
I'm flying on an award ticket in first class later this week. I'm going from DEN-SEA-HNL-SEA-DEN.

I know I will get lounge access at the Board Room in SEA, but do I get lounge access at partner lounges in DEN and HNL?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Nope - needs to be an AS operated Boardroom. SEA is nice and you might get soup. Haven't been to the new AAdmirals club (well not brand new now) but one of three IIRC Boardroom members have access to. Same with HNL- BR members gain access to the DL Skyclub. (which is ok since it has self-serve beverages). But HNL has lots of other options including Kona Brewing Company and the central garden area where you can look at the gardens and Koi.

Remember to save a bit of time for Agriculture Inspection too...

sharona211 Sep 11, 2012 1:38 pm

using companion cert.

Can I use the $99 companion certificate if I book the first fare using the "use miles for up to 50% off" option?

TIA

beckoa Sep 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by sharona211
Can I use the $99 companion certificate if I book the first fare using the "use miles for up to 50% off" option?

TIA

No

Its one discount or the other.

Mywallet funds can be applied but that's it. Everything else is basically limited to one discount.

YLW Sep 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 18878821)
Theoretically you can have two mileage numbers in one PNR - rumor has it, sabre allows this, though I'm not expert. In practice very few people would actually know how to enter your MP number for the KLM flights and your AA number for the Westjet flights.

Several thoughts:
-enter your Alaska Mileage Plan Number in the reservation, and when Westjet doesn't credit, send it in to AA; I'd think they'd credit it with the explanation.
-enter no number in, and submit all flights for retroactive credit to their respective partners.
-enter your Alaska Mileage plan number into the reservation, and when you check in for westjet at that airport, give them your AA number...then your mileage plan number again at the next airport...
-final thought...I believe DL is a partner of both westjet and KLM, so if your goal is just to earn some miles somewhere and you don't particularly need AS or AA miles, you might be able to earn DL miles for the whole itin.

Word to the wise...be very careful about KLM bookings. Certain fare classes are not eligible to earn Alaska miles, and codeshare flights also often are not eligible.

Belated thanks for the tips, and the heads up re (in)eligibility of KLM fare classes!
In a nutshell:
--the WS segment has KL flight #, so not eligible for WS/AA miles, and questionable if KL would credit;
--YVR-AMS is fare code N, so earns nothing, on AS/DL/KL;
--AMS-IST is fare code L, so will earn 100% actual miles flown.

I will use our AS #s and since the ticket was half price, will not whine about the limited number of miles this is going to haul in.

golfingboy Sep 11, 2012 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by YLW (Post 19297054)
Belated thanks for the tips, and the heads up re (in)eligibility of KLM fare classes!
In a nutshell:
--the WS segment has KL flight #, so not eligible for WS/AA miles, and questionable if KL would credit;
--YVR-AMS is fare code N, so earns nothing, on AS/DL/KL;
--AMS-IST is fare code L, so will earn 100% actual miles flown.

I will use our AS #s and since the ticket was half price, will not whine about the limited number of miles this is going to haul in.

For the YVR-AMS sector, you can earn miles with DL.

Code:

Effective June 1, 2011 KLM Marketed Flights
Discounted Economy: K, H, L, Q, E, G, N, T 100%  100% 100% Yes

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#KL

Granted it is SkyPesos, but at least it is better to earn miles than to let it go to waste :)

YLW Sep 11, 2012 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 19297224)
For the YVR-AMS sector, you can earn miles with DL.

Code:

Effective June 1, 2011 KLM Marketed Flights
Discounted Economy: K, H, L, Q, E, G, N, T 100%  100% 100% Yes

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#KL

Granted it is SkyPesos, but at least it is better to earn miles than to let it go to waste :)

Thanks! When will I learn to read more carefully?
So, because I much prefer AS miles, is it best to leave our mileage preference blank on our reservation, then send the YVR-AMS boarding passes to DL and AMS-IST ones to AS, after all our flights are completed?

golfingboy Sep 11, 2012 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by YLW (Post 19297951)
Thanks! When will I learn to read more carefully?
So, because I much prefer AS miles, is it best to leave our mileage preference blank on our reservation, then send the YVR-AMS boarding passes to DL and AMS-IST ones to AS, after all our flights are completed?

You could do just that. IME, KL flights did not post to my AS account and when I asked KL agents to add my AS FF # they kept saying AS is not in SkyTeam so they do not partner with KLM. This was in AMS and the supervisor agreed with his front line employees, and the manual from HQ that the employee took out to find AS did not have AS in it.

If I were you, just leave it blank, retain the original confirmation e-mail and all KL boarding passes then send it to AS and DL after your trip to request credit.

beckoa Sep 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 19298113)
You could do just that. IME, KL flights did not post to my AS account and when I asked KL agents to add my AS FF # they kept saying AS is not in SkyTeam so they do not partner with KLM. This was in AMS and the supervisor agreed with his front line employees, and the manual from HQ that the employee took out to find AS did not have AS in it.

If I were you, just leave it blank, retain the original confirmation e-mail and all KL boarding passes then send it to AS and DL after your trip to request credit.

Checking in at klm.com did yield a field for me to add my AS MP # (but this is only for the europe-usa segments) as DL controls OLCI ex-USA. And I *think* that might have posted automatically but can't recall...