Wiki Posts
Search

Min Airtran Elite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Min Airtran Elite

I must be the minimum flying Airtran Elite.

I got Elite status just over a year ago. I flew exactly 6 round trips in 88 days to meet the 6 RT in 90 day requirement.

I am renewing Elite status at the end of the week. I am taking a $59 one way trip tomorrow ATL-RDU to meet people who are driving (and I'll drive back with them), which is the last 1 way I need to maintain status which ends in 6 days.

I would have already had it had I not used credits from the credit card signup for a round trip to San Fran this year.

I end up traveling a good bit on Delta for work (company's preferred airline, haven't gotten status there yet since I haven't done much international yet), but occasionally get Airtran flights in. And with SW in Atlanta, I've taken some SW flights this year, too (to BWI, another one coming up to HOU).

Any other elite flyers that just barely scrape by, getting the last flight necessary in the last week possible?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Since you fly Southwest too have you taken them up on a A-list status match from Airtran Elite?

You're not alone there are quite a few travellers that will book a sale fare out and back on an off day just to keep Elite.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by traveller001
Since you fly Southwest too have you taken them up on a A-list status match from Airtran Elite?

You're not alone there are quite a few travellers that will book a sale fare out and back on an off day just to keep Elite.
Yes I have. Although it isn't worth that much - an A18 boarding pass is about the same as the A30 I typically get by checking in on my phone at T-24, thanks to an alarm I set when I put the flight on my calendar (I have a lot of experience flying southwest as I've only moved back to Atlanta recently - lived in SW serviced areas most of my life other than the 1999-2004 when I killed Airtran's X-fares flying out of Atlanta all the time). And the one flight I flew as A-list was a $120 round trip ATL-BWI, so that 25% extra points or whatever amounted to very little.

I already had a 1 way trip this year (flew back to DC area to move my wife down after I had already moved down), so I only need the 1 way to keep the status. Grabbed it on the awesome 1 day sale when it was $59, and it let's me save a vacation day I would have had to use to travel all day (the other people I'm going up there with including my wife are leaving at 10:30 this morning). And I don't have any baggage - packed it all with the wife to take in the car.

I'm wondering about upgrade chances on this last flight. 8 BC seats still remain in the seat map, yesterday when I checked in at T-23 there were business class upgrades for sale for $69. Today when I went to print out my boarding pass, the upgrades are listed as sold out (and also listed as $49, weird). And the flight is sold out in coach and business class on the website for new tickets (although the flight before and after have both for sale). I think I have a good shot.

I feel like all this should get some sort of "nice blog post" type response.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
Nice blog post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.