FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airport Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges-763/)
-   -   Saddest airport lounge you have ever visited (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airport-lounges/2042520-saddest-airport-lounge-you-have-ever-visited.html)

BuildingMyBento Aug 16, 2022 8:03 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ (Post 34518712)
The secret there is to go in the kitchen and have the staff come out and make you fresh food. You know, like they are supposed to, but they always hide away.

That and don’t take the months expired drinks from the fridge, ask for non expired ones that the staff regularly stash away and take home along with the food.

You want something, have to ask for it.

If your CA ticket is messed how they will call however many internal numbers it takes and curse, yell from the top of their lungs for an hour plus nonstop until your ticket is fixed. So there is that - good customer service (Chinese style), literally no matter what it takes and extremely persistent.

The smoking, though, that’s annoying and hard to get away from.

"Good" customer service isn't supposed to be something that the customer seeks out. Most stores I'd enter in China, the underage staff was either squatting watching Youku, or smoking. Sometimes both. But restaurants.in China are usually quite swift ... that's a horse of a different color.

As for saddest lounges, the Travellers' Lounge Sama Sama (by gate C5) at KUL was terrible. Didn't help that one employee hacked up enough lungs for her coworkers.

JDogg Aug 16, 2022 9:14 am

ATL - International Terminal (F)

Flying BA First to LHR, you are relegated to a roped off section of a larger shared lounge where people queue to get in for the free drinks and hang out there with their mates for long periods— so long they have a waitlist and text people when they can get access. Luckily (or are we?) BA passengers seem to jump the queue for this cramped corner behind the rope. Very odd. And I won’t even go into the food. One positive, when the flight coming in from Ireland was late, the manager threw out all the riff-raff in the main lounge and allowed the BA prems. to stay past closing, which was quite admirable.

zaccaggie Aug 16, 2022 9:57 am

Georgetown Guyana. Roraima Airways "executive lounge".
A room with ugly leather chairs and some sad food. last visit there sep 2019, although with the oil boom in Guyana they were remodeling the airport and it may be better now

Runners up are the other caribbean lounges i used to frequent - nassau, bridgetown, curacao, port of spain

Oakshadow Aug 16, 2022 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by JDogg (Post 34519160)
Flying BA First to LHR, you are relegated to a roped off section of a larger shared lounge where people queue to get in for the free drinks and hang out there with their mates for long periods— so long they have a waitlist and text people when they can get access. Luckily (or are we?) BA passengers seem to jump the queue for this cramped corner behind the rope. Very odd. And I won’t even go into the food. One positive, when the flight coming in from Ireland was late, the manager threw out all the riff-raff in the main lounge and allowed the BA prems. to stay past closing, which was quite admirable.

Are you speaking of The Club? That's the only non-DL lounge in F.

CMK10 Aug 18, 2022 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by JDogg (Post 34519160)

Yep, The Club at ATL. Pretty similar set up at The Club at MCO which BA also uses.

Boraxo Aug 27, 2022 11:01 am

The OGG lounge is the worst in USA by far. Overseas the CCS lounge and many at LOS are mediocre though in some ways exceed OGG as they offer free alcoholic beverages and restrooms, if not edible food

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Aug 27, 2022 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 34550059)
The OGG lounge is the worst in USA by far. Overseas the CCS lounge and many at LOS are mediocre though in some ways exceed OGG as they offer free alcoholic beverages and restrooms, if not edible food

I have to visit the OGG club on Wednesday, wish me luck.

philemer Aug 27, 2022 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM (Post 34550702)
I have to visit the OGG club on Wednesday, wish me luck.

Have to? :)

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Aug 27, 2022 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 34551259)
Have to? :)

Unfortunately it still beats the gate area, and not being in Maui.

For real though, you'd think the two major airports that Hawaiian Airlines served would actually have decent lounges.

As opposed to weeeellllll....

econ Aug 28, 2022 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM (Post 34551296)
Unfortunately it still beats the gate area

If you haven't been there yet, you may end up being surprised. I've found there's almost always somewhere in the terminal or gate area that's more comfortable than this place.

StSebastian Aug 29, 2022 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 33343680)
The America West and then US Airways LAS Lounge which was also outside security and the most dark, cave like lounge I ever visited.

In its defense, at that time it was the ONLY lounge at all in Las Vegas, left over from being the America West hub, and when it closed there was nothing for a while. I remember going in there ~2005 and there was a sign at the staffed bar that noted tipping was not necessary/allowed. I asked the employee about it and they mentioned that they were required to post that (by whom I do not know), but that they were happy to accept them if proffered. It was dark, and inconvenient outside of security (this was before PreCheck, so if there was a big line you could be waiting for a while).

While I did not encounter it, I remember someone from my company traveling through XNA and sent a photo of their "business center/lounge", which was just a dark windowless hallway in the terminal with two basic tables and some chairs, and a simple velvet rope and sign at the entrance to the hallway. This would have been ~2011, and I wish I could find that photo to post here in this thread.

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Aug 31, 2022 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by econ (Post 34553637)
If you haven't been there yet, you may end up being surprised. I've found there's almost always somewhere in the terminal or gate area that's more comfortable than this place.

Update: I didn't think that this could possibly be worse than the passport club but somehow it is.

Nevermind the fact that it's insanely crowded.

Yeah this rightfully earns the prize for the worst US airport lounge. Just pathetic, especially considering I visited the SLC and LAX SCs yesterday

StuckInYYZ Sep 3, 2022 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Fyfan (Post 34568141)
Marhaba Lounge, Melbourne Terminal 2 (many international airlines during the pandemic contracted this lounge for there passengers).

Just looking back at the photos makes me physically sick 🤢

I'm not sure what's wrong with the lounge. Food offerings look like standard pandemic protocol (with a few exceptions)... Not sure if there was any other foodstuffs, but far from the saddest looking.

WrightHI Sep 7, 2022 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 34550059)

One of these days you OGG-haters really need to check out the HA lounge at ITO. And KOA is basically like OGG but without the windows.