Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does Priority Pass stay profitable?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Why do people think that Priority Pass is charging back the credit card companies for every visit? People keep saying that, but no one has sourced it.

Sounds like an accounting nightmare to me. It seems MUCH more likely that the credit card companies pay Priority Pass an annual (discounted) membership fee for each cardholder who is a member, and PP makes money just as they do with all the people who buy a pass directly.
I completely agree. The owner of PP, the Collinson group, is actually sort of an insurance company.

I'm sure they are very good at estimating the expected number of lounge visits per individual and are even able to break that down by location. (I imagine what the pay lounges is highly variable. Some lounges in Central/Eastern Europe have walk-up fees of less than 15€. In such places, it seems save to assume that PP pays <10€ per visitor.)
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotturnip
all the people who buy a pass directly.
Originally Posted by davie355
Very hard to see how that kind of purchase would be rational
@davie355: This is an international forum and not everybody has access to attractive CCs which include PP. Also, sometimes PP runs promos in cooperation with hotel chains or airlines which reduce their usual price by up to 40% or so.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

Great discussion, totally agree that Flyertalk users are a niche group and not a good measure of PP usage. Generally, people who fly a lot have access via their airline, people who don’t, don’t subscribe to PP individually and may not even bother to apply via their cc.

Re: restaurants, one offputting factor is that the bill can easily exceed whatever is included with PP and people might just go for a cheaper option, say the food court. Flyertalk people might have it worked out but others might not care to do the maths. Same for lounge hopping as someone else has mentioned already. Average flyers don’t do it much.
IndyHoosier and g289t like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:32 pm

I wonder if airlines subsidize priority pass restaurants. BOS just changed so there is no security side access between terminals B and C (also no E to B access). There is a restaurant Steffanies that has locations in Terminal B, C and E, but the only one that takes priority pass is the terminal B location. Airlines in terminal B are AA, UAL and Air Canada. I wonder if one of those airlines subsiidizes either Stefanies or PP. I think all Stefanie locations have the same menu.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sjm0028
.....the only one that takes priority pass is the terminal B location. Airlines in terminal B are AA, UAL and Air Canada. I wonder if one of those airlines subsiidizes either Stefanies or PP.....
This suggests that the B location has surplus capacity (i.e. they need more business). I don't see how you infer that there is some type of subsidy?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:59 pm

My wife and I primarily fly Delta and have access to Delta lounges outside of Priority Pass. Priority Pass is our backup. We use it in Dubai (not located there anymore but haven't changed my handle), sometimes in Brisbane, Fiji, sometimes in the Netherlands (now that Delta life members can't use KLM anymore). I've got Centurion Lounge access and Delta Lounge Access. We probably use Priority Pass ten times a year. Very few of our stays are over an hour. I don't see the issue.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryanp
I completely agree. The owner of PP, the Collinson group, is actually sort of an insurance company.

I'm sure they are very good at estimating the expected number of lounge visits per individual and are even able to break that down by location. (I imagine what the pay lounges is highly variable. Some lounges in Central/Eastern Europe have walk-up fees of less than 15€. In such places, it seems save to assume that PP pays <10€ per visitor.)
I currently have PP through a half-dozen credit cards. A few of them offer unlimited visits + 2 guests, one offers 10 visits per year, and the rest offer membership with a per-per-use arrangement.
I'm basically down to just using one of the unlimited memberships.

However, consider how many "flat fee" arrangements PP has collected from my various cards and is only paying out usage on one card. Perhaps the ubiquitous inclusion of PP in travel credit cards is part of their strategy to ensure multiple duplicate memberships per individual with really only one that is ever utilized.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
I'm kind of curious why restaurants aren't scrambling to sign up to be part of PP. Is there some kind of contractual reason that many restaurants can't participate? What is better than people giving you business spending other people's (in this case PP or your CC issuer) money?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I'm kind of curious why restaurants aren't scrambling to sign up to be part of PP. Is there some kind of contractual reason that many restaurants can't participate? What is better than people giving you business spending other people's (in this case PP or your CC issuer) money?
A lot of restaurants in airports are actually run by the same few companies (for instance, HMSHost and SSP America), so there might be some contractual complications involved. It's possible all of their restaurants would need to be on PP, not just one or two per airport.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
I'm kind of curious why restaurants aren't scrambling to sign up to be part of PP. Is there some kind of contractual reason that many restaurants can't participate?
Who says they can't? I would assume either the restaurant doesn't want to join or PP doesn't want to sign-up the restaurant. Problems with organizational architecture--as suggested by the previous poster--may play a role here and there, but I find it pretty far-fetched to think that's the dominant factor here.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Because I don't think they are all getting USD 24.00 per visit...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:55 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Sealink
Because I don't think they are all getting USD 24.00 per visit...
That's one thing.

For another, PP's speciality is sort of making good use of spare capacity in lounges. They're likely getting quite good deals with the lounges. Perhaps they're sometimes paying even less than the main airlines using the lounge. After all, PP's customers get lower priority, sometimes enjoy fewer services (e.g., extra section just for business/elite travellers, not for PP users; PP user co-payment for shower, etc.) PP helps improve lounge's capacity utilization so they can add to the lounge's bottom line even if they pay very little (but more than the variable costs..)

So why should they sign up restaurants if they have a decent lounge portfolio at a given airport? The major factor behind the restaurants from PP's perspective is to close gaps in their coverage. Sure, this improvement-of-capacity-utilization idea plays a role there, too. But from restaurants' perspective, PP is a bit of a slippery slope. More so than for lounges. The buzz word is product cannibalization.
Sealink likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
I have no doubt that Priority Pass gets a guaranteed cash flow from the CC companies. As noted by others above there most likely are many CC holders who have the card who rarely ever use it but are happy to have it. It is an excellent inducement to take on a Travel themed CC . It helped get me even though I have Lifetime United Club access.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Si99
Its probably another one of these new age business models where earnings are not important, only the size of the network (and consequently a generally positive public perception) are important. Look at Uber... it's a valuation game, not an earnings game.
I wouldn't agree on your point about Uber though. They take around 25% off drivers earnings, so I'd say that's profit.
offerendum likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I'm sure PP is getting a good cash flow from CC companies where many holders never use it. I have friends with Amex plat who are like that. I mean, they would, but just don't travel all that much. They might use a Centurion once or twice a year. Also, even for frequent travelers who've been in a lot of PP lounges, the restaurants are a little more trouble to use because you need more time. From my two restaurant experiences, you will need at least an hour - and I have seen them when they have long lines for a seat at meal times, and just passed them by. For lounge use at departure or on many connections, I am often physically be in the lounge for no more than a half an hour or so.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.