FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Claiming Money Back Credit Card Companies for AB Flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1876635-claiming-money-back-credit-card-companies-ab-flights.html)

tsolaaa Nov 9, 2017 2:22 am

Claiming Money Back Credit Card Companies for AB Flights

Figured we may want to start a new thread so that we can organize all information out there on the topic as I started to hijack the Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy thread

tsolaaa Nov 9, 2017 2:26 am

For those who booked any AB flights with their LBB - Airberlin Credit Card:

I used the following template to claim my funds back.

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
am XXXXX habe ich mit der AirBerlin Visa Kreditkarte einen Flug mit der Air Berlin (Buchungsreferenz XXXXXX) in Höhe von EUR XXXX gebucht.

Dieser Flug ist im Zuge des Insolvenzverfahrens der Firma Air Berlin mit Mitteilung vom gestrigen Tage gestrichen worden. Zwar wurde meine Zahlung ordnungsgemäß autorisiert, dennoch ist der Gegenwert der Zahlung nicht mehr gegeben. Da mit dieser ersatzlosen Streichung ein von mir bezahlter Service nicht durchgeführt wird, liegt meiner Meinung nach ein Rückbuchungsgrund vor.

Ich bitte Sie daher freundlich um Rückbuchung dieser Zahlung.

Bitte finden Sie die unterstützende Dokumentation im Anhang.

Herzliche Grüße und vielen Dank für Ihre Unterstützung,

XXXX
I received the following reply:

vielen Dank für Ihre Reklamation über das Kreditkarten-Banking.

Geben Sie beim Bezahlen Ihre Kartennummer an, erteilen Sie uns eine Zahlungsanweisung. Diese können Sie, anders als beim Lastschrifteinzugsverfahren, nicht bei uns widerrufen.

Kann eine Leistung wegen Insolvenz nicht erbracht werden, müssen Sie Ihre Forderung direkt bei dem Unternehmen bzw. dessen Insolvenzverwalter geltend machen.

Wir können Ihren Einspruch zur Prüfung an die Vertragsbank des Unternehmens airberlin weiterleiten, wenn folgende Bedingungen erfüllt sind:

- die Flugbuchung war vor dem 15.08.2017
- die Flüge werden nicht von einem anderen Unternehmen übernommen,
- die Flugdaten sind abgelaufen oder eine Stornierungsbestätigung liegt vor oder die Insolvenz des Unternehmens ist bestätigt
- Sie als Kunde haben bereits selbst versucht, den Sachverhalt mit airberlin bzw. dem
Insolvenzverwalter zu klären

Bitte senden Sie uns die beigefügte Erklärung vollständig ausgefüllt bis spätestens 14 Tage nach Ablauf der Flugdaten zurück und fügen Sie alle relevanten Nachweise bei.

- Buchungsbestätigung von airberlin für die Flüge

Wir schreiben die Beträge dann unter Vorbehalt Ihrem Kartenkonto gut.

Sollten sich neue Aspekte ergeben, informieren wir Sie.
For non-german speakers, the main points where:

- The flight booking was before 15/08/2017
- The flight was not taken over by another company
- The bankruptcy of the company is confirmed or There is a cancellation confirmation. or the flight data has expired (I don't know how to translate this)
- As a customer of Airberlin you have tried to deal with the cancellation with Airberlin, tried to be re-routed or reimbursed.

----

If you are having troubles with the credit card companies in Germany/EU, you may want to try filing a case with the ECC: (EN): https://www.evz.de/index.php?id=2529

Lastly, Here is a pamphlet on EU regulations about credit card charge backs: (EN)
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/do..._report_en.pdf

---
@oliver2002 also found out that if you booked using your DKB credit card here in Germany, you can also apply for a refund:

Ironically, DKB, who is owned by LBB is ofering you help if you purchased an AB ticket before Aug 15: https://www.dkb.de/info/air-berlin.html

tomaszp Nov 15, 2017 3:50 pm

I filed a claim with Chase on my Reserve card which does cover Trip Interruptions due to Airline insolvency. At this point, Chase is asking for a letter, on the carrier's letterhead, stating that no refund was issued. I'm not sure how to obtain such letter from a bankrupt company but am still not losing hope.

Often1 Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Apples and oranges. You are talking about trip interruption insurance. This thread is about credit card chargebacks.

Presuming that you are still within the deadline, you should file an online dispute with Chase. Chase will issue an immediate temporary credit and then in short order a permanent credit. No need to chase down documents for insurance.

tsolaaa Nov 17, 2017 1:58 am

As of today, I was successfully refunded by LBB the full amount of my ticket.

FlyerTalker005 Nov 19, 2017 4:34 am

If you paid Air Berlin by Visa, Mastercard or American Express you are protected in the case of insolvency. The German language frequent flyer site has more info here, for those who have cards issued in Germany.

Brian Chen Nov 21, 2017 6:12 pm

So here is the update with chase:

If you filed with their travel interruption insurance, this isn't really chase, this is a third party insurance provider that chase uses. Spoke to several people and their MO is that they won't cover it. Who knows why but they just won't and punting it back to chase.

So the right course of action I learned is to call chase directly (not the insurance, but the number on your credit card), and file a dispute and tell them what happened. Doing that right now.

Often1 Nov 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Very few travel insurance policies cover insolvency. It is usually one of the stated exceptions. Should check your policy carefully before making a claim.

Disputing the charge is always the way to go in insolvency. So long as you meet the deadlines it is a statutory entitlement and, in the case of AB where the large CC issuers such as Chase keep track, you will have your credit relatively immediately.

TProphet Nov 25, 2017 12:34 pm

Don't file any insurance, file a dispute for services paid and not received.

Visa/MC/AMEX will uphold a dispute in this case. You paid for something you didn't get. It isn't in dispute that you didn't get it. However, you have a limited time to make the claim so file promptly.

rafipl Dec 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Hello. I'm trying to recover money for airberlin tickets witch chargeback. After few weeks I got a response from the bank that I should report a bonding authority claim within 7 days of receiving the answer. Within 7 days of sending the claim I have to start the chargeback procedure again. Finally, there is information that it is a formal requirement that the bank may attempt to recover money. Is the bank doing the right thing? I found a record in the regulations of VISA services, but I do not fully understand the last sentence:

For a Chargeback related to non-receipt of travel services from a provider who has failed, if the services are covered by a bonding authority/insurance scheme, the Issuer must attempt to obtain reimbursement from the relevant bonding authority/insurance scheme, unless the bond or insurance scheme is insufficient. If the bond or insurance scheme is insufficient, the Issuer may use information in the public domain to initiate the Chargeback.
Should I appeal according to the above? Or should I, as recommended, submit a claim for bonding authority and then start the chargeback again?
Thank you for your help!

Fabo.sk Dec 12, 2017 9:09 am

I would say that in general they are right, as your first avenue of complaint would be the airline insurance per the conditions.

It could be argued though that they should just do the chargeback, seeing as it is indeed information in public domain, that you won't get your money back otherwise.

Often1 Dec 12, 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by rafipl (Post 29162025)
Hello. I'm trying to recover money for airberlin tickets witch chargeback. After few weeks I got a response from the bank that I should report a bonding authority claim within 7 days of receiving the answer. Within 7 days of sending the claim I have to start the chargeback procedure again. Finally, there is information that it is a formal requirement that the bank may attempt to recover money. Is the bank doing the right thing? I found a record in the regulations of VISA services, but I do not fully understand the last sentence: Should I appeal according to the above? Or should I, as recommended, submit a claim for bonding authority and then start the chargeback again?
Thank you for your help!

The answer to your question will depend on where you are located, where your credit card issuer (bank) is located and where the AB e-tickets were issued.

Just as one example, in the US, if the claim is made within 60 days, you have a statutory right to a chargeback credit and it is for the card issuer to recover from any insurance which may be available.

Brian Chen Jan 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Just wanted to follow up. I got declined using the insurance but when I called chase CS directly, they credited it to me. This week, I received a letter that the credit stands and the case is closed. So it all worked out!

tomaszp Jan 26, 2018 2:35 pm

I also want to follow up: I purchased the ticket with both Chase Ultimate Rewards and cash.

The cash portion was refunded by credit card chargeback for services not received.
The Ultimate Rewards portion was also refunded as cash by Chase's Trip Interruption Insurance.

Case closed. All ended well :)

intuition Jan 30, 2018 4:11 am

So I had a AB ticket for early november purchased via Supersavertravel (Svenska Resegruppen). I know, I know, don't use OTAs as they take no responsibility. Supersavertravel didn't contact me even after the flight was definitely cancelled, and after a terrible back-and-forth on their phone-system they refused "involuntary rebooking" and said I should make arrangements myself.

When they so bluntly disregarded their obligations, my only option was to ask my CC issuer to refund based on non-delivery of items purchased. Now, 2.5 month later, everything was refunded.

So it ended well for me too. I do hope the CC company did manage to extract that money from supersavertravel. It would make me even happier knowing they had to pay the price. Note to self - stay away from these travel agents.