Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
So I learned something new today: Barclay Arrival Plus discontinued its trip cancellation coverage for financial insolvency of a common carrier. Hurray.

I've had the card a year. Trip cancellation was a part of the benefits last year, and things changed earlier this year and before i purchased my Air Berlin flight on June 1, 2017.

So, going a different way...anyone have any success disputing an Air Berlin charge with your cc company instead of filing an insurance claim? I figure i could try to argue that i paid for services that clearly are never going to be given.

Thoughts?

The only option for replacing the flight appears to be a couple much more expensive flights and at far less desirable times. Hoping to at least get back what i paid for the original AB flight if i have to go that route.
I gave it a shot with the LBB Airberlin Credit Card and they almost immediately came back with a "No" and the instructions on filing directly with Airberlin.

I searched through the AGB of the card and there isn't even mention of filing a claim with the card issuer if plain ol' "services" (ie physical products) were not delivered. (Although with German being my second language, I could of missed that part.)

Anyways, for those who may want to try with a German card issuer:

am XXXXX habe ich mit der AirBerlin Visa Kreditkarte einen Flug mit der Air Berlin (Buchungsreferenz XXXXXX) in Höhe von EUR XXXX gebucht.

Dieser Flug ist im Zuge des Insolvenzverfahrens der Firma Air Berlin mit Mitteilung vom gestrigen Tage gestrichen worden. Zwar wurde meine Zahlung ordnungsgemäß autorisiert, dennoch ist der Gegenwert der Zahlung nicht mehr gegeben. Da mit dieser ersatzlosen Streichung ein von mir bezahlter Service nicht durchgeführt wird, liegt meiner Meinung nach ein Rückbuchungsgrund vor.

Ich bitte Sie daher freundlich um Rückbuchung dieser Zahlung.

Bitte finden Sie die unterstützende Dokumentation im Anhang.

Herzliche Grüße und vielen Dank für Ihre Unterstützung,
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:01 am

I take back somewhat of what I said above.

Here was the reply I received from LBB,

vielen Dank für Ihre Reklamation über das Kreditkarten-Banking.

Geben Sie beim Bezahlen Ihre Kartennummer an, erteilen Sie uns eine Zahlungsanweisung. Diese können Sie, anders als beim Lastschrifteinzugsverfahren, nicht bei uns widerrufen.

Kann eine Leistung wegen Insolvenz nicht erbracht werden, müssen Sie Ihre Forderung direkt bei dem Unternehmen bzw. dessen Insolvenzverwalter geltend machen.

Wir können Ihren Einspruch zur Prüfung an die Vertragsbank des Unternehmens airberlin weiterleiten, wenn folgende Bedingungen erfüllt sind:

- die Flugbuchung war vor dem 15.08.2017
- die Flüge werden nicht von einem anderen Unternehmen übernommen,
- die Flugdaten sind abgelaufen oder eine Stornierungsbestätigung liegt vor oder die Insolvenz des Unternehmens ist bestätigt
- Sie als Kunde haben bereits selbst versucht, den Sachverhalt mit airberlin bzw. dem
Insolvenzverwalter zu klären

Bitte senden Sie uns die beigefügte Erklärung vollständig ausgefüllt bis spätestens 14 Tage nach Ablauf der Flugdaten zurück und fügen Sie alle relevanten Nachweise bei.

- Buchungsbestätigung von airberlin für die Flüge

Wir schreiben die Beträge dann unter Vorbehalt Ihrem Kartenkonto gut.

Sollten sich neue Aspekte ergeben, informieren wir Sie.

So it looks like their four conditions are

- The flight booking was before 15/08/2017
- The flight was not taken over by another company
- The bankruptcy of the company is confirmed or There is a cancellation confirmation. or the flight data has expired (I don't know how to translate this)
- As a customer of Airberlin you have tried to deal with the cancellation with Airberlin, tried to be re-routed or reimbursed.

In any case, I know this is a specific case with LBB and a German issued credit card but another possibility is opening a case with the ECC here (EN): https://www.evz.de/index.php?id=2529

and here is EU regulations about credit card charge backs (EN):
http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/do..._report_en.pdf
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:03 am

Thanks for the help. Really appreciated.

I would fit those four conditions if my credit applies the same rules. May as well give it a shot.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
So I learned something new today: Barclay Arrival Plus discontinued its trip cancellation coverage for financial insolvency of a common carrier. Hurray.

I've had the card a year. Trip cancellation was a part of the benefits last year, and things changed earlier this year and before i purchased my Air Berlin flight on June 1, 2017.

So, going a different way...anyone have any success disputing an Air Berlin charge with your cc company instead of filing an insurance claim? I figure i could try to argue that i paid for services that clearly are never going to be given.

Thoughts?

The only option for replacing the flight appears to be a couple much more expensive flights and at far less desirable times. Hoping to at least get back what i paid for the original AB flight if i have to go that route.
Is this a US card? If so, have you tried a chargeback? You should be able to get back the charges paid on the original ticket. New tickets you will have to pay out of pocket unless you have other insurance coverage.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Is this a US card? If so, have you tried a chargeback? You should be able to get back the charges paid on the original ticket. New tickets you will have to pay out of pocket unless you have other insurance coverage.
Yes, US card. I started the dispute process with the CC company today so we'll see if I get anywhere.

To complicate things, the payment and itinerary process for Air Berlin was through an intermediary company in Miami called GoToGate. So, the payment actually shows up as GoToGate instead of Air Berlin.

I don't expect Air Berlin to be operating a January 7th flight, so looks we will be booking a more expensive alternative. Oh well. Will make sure I use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card with proper trip cancellation coverage this time. At least it's just a $200 lesson and not a $2,000 lesson.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ironically, DKB, who is owned by LBB is ofering you help if you purchased an AB ticket before Aug 15: https://www.dkb.de/info/air-berlin.html
tsolaaa likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ironically, DKB, who is owned by LBB is ofering you help if you purchased an AB ticket before Aug 15: https://www.dkb.de/info/air-berlin.html
Good find!

I feel like I may of hijacked this thread. I opened a new one here

so we can organize findings and (hopeful) resolutions.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:19 pm
formerly mrshyt

Programs: IB+ Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrshyt
I have an AB flight tomorrow, just checked in today using their mobile app and during check in it allowed me to choose and enter my Iberia FF#. The other airline options were there as well.

I will report back later this week if IB Elite Points and Avios post, it usually takes a few days, fingers crossed.
Surprise surprise, I login to my IB+ account today and the Avios and Elite Points from my final Air Berlin flight back in August have just posted! ^
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Deleted by op

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.