FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   airberlin | topbonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus-696/)
-   -   Flight attendant demanded that l delete the picture! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airberlin-topbonus/1588817-flight-attendant-demanded-l-delete-picture.html)

Yes2milesandpoints Jun 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Flight attendant demanded that l delete the picture!

If l was out of line, l will accept it and not complain to the airline, so l'm seeking advice from more experienced travelers than myself. Here's what happened.

My husband and l were about to board a connecting flight (Air Berlin from Hamburg to SKG, originally booked through BA from LHR). Upon entering l saw a flight attendant welcoming everyone on board and offering candy, so l thought: nice touch. I've never been welcomed on board with candy before - so l took a picture. The only way l can describe the flight attendant's reaction and tone of voice was like a woman at boarding school with a ruler who was ready to smack me because she caught me being naughty. In the meanest most reprimanding voice she said, "You did not ask my permission to take my picture?" I was stunned and speechless, searching for words. I said "excuse me?" ( l'm thinking, is she really mad that l took a picture?) Mind you, we are still at the entrance to the plane. Last thing l would want is for her to throw me off the plane as a disruptive passenger. In any case, it happened so fast my brain couldn't formulate a response. Then she said "You should have asked. Delete it please." Looking me dead in the face, she waited for me to delete the photo, while the woman behind me is waiting to come in the plane. So l deleted it and my husband and l went to our seats. All throughout the flight, I felt totally humiliated just because of how she spoke to me. I am completely not against her telling me to delete the photo, but did she really need to speak to and adult like l was a 2 year old child? Is there a picture taking etiquette l didnt hear about? I know immigration check points and security areas are off limits for photos. Anything else l should know?

In contrast, a few days earlier l was on a Virgin Atlantic plane from New York to London and not only did those flight attendants pose for pictures, they took pictures for me in first class. So l never dreamed l would have this experience on Air Berlin. Interestingly, l received avrewuest from British Airways to complete a survey about my flight experience. Like l said, if I'm wrong l won't complain. What do you think?

bmrisko Jun 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Some people don't like having their picture taken...I've learned it is always best to ask.

NewbieRunner Jun 26, 2014 3:26 pm

It could have been worse.
Thrown Off a United Airlines Flight for Taking Pictures!

view Jun 26, 2014 3:37 pm

So you met a grumpy FA. It could happen anywhere. 10 bucks that if you had asked, you would get permission. Oh, and no point complaining in a BA survey, if you really want to complain get in touch with AB directly. If would not expect anything other than a nice e-mail stating she was in the right asking for it to be deleted.

User Name Jun 26, 2014 3:55 pm

There's always "pretend deleting".

As an aside if a crime of some sort's been committed by taking the picture then the picture itself is evidence. In some countries (e.g. the UK) even the police don't have the authority to demand you delete a picture.

That said, it's precious little comfort if you find yourself stood at the gate watching your plane depart.

Moomba Jun 26, 2014 4:08 pm

As this is not a trip report and OP seems to be asking if they should complain I will move this over to the airberlin forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports

Non-NonRev Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

I think it's common courtesy, and a respect of the personal privacy of others, to ask before taking a photo of an individual (as opposed to a crowd shot).

Or in this case, frame the shot so that you capture the candy gift without capturing the cabin crew member's face.

Gus2013 Jun 26, 2014 4:25 pm

I am not sure if this is grounds to complain to the airline... Some people really do not like having their picture taken without asking for permission first. I once took a photo of a particularly impressive doner kebab rotating meat "thing" (I think it was in Vienna), and the guy running the stand immediately bolted out with his half-meter-long meat-shaving knife and starting waving it at me demanding that I delete the photo. Lesson learned, if you ask first then most people are more than happy to oblige/pose.

IMH Jun 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Yes2milesandpoints (Post 23101867)
l took a picture. [...] she said, "You did not ask my permission to take my picture?"

Assuming she's correct -- i.e. you photographed her without asking -- then it is perfectly reasonable for her to object (and surprising -- to me -- that you were "stunned and speechless"). Under German law she can certainly require you not to publish or display the picture, including to your friends or on a FaceTwit page.

That leaves the alleged "meanest most reprimanding voice"... That would be a case of your word against hers. Not really much of a basis for a complaint, although obviously it would have been better if she'd made a point more gently.

Often1 Jun 26, 2014 7:36 pm

If OP didn't ask and get an affirmative response, OP was 100% wrong and it was entirely appropriate for the FA to make the demand. If OP didn't like the tone of the "ask" that's truly subjective.

seawolf Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Flight attendant demanded that l delete the picture!

It is common courtesy to ask.

airplanegod Jun 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 23101939)

I can understand this Air Berlin situation from the FA's POV, but this UA one is 1000 times worse. He was taking a picture of the seat. Talk about a FA and pilot on a power trip... Sadly UA probably promoted them.

BOShappyflyer Jun 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Ditto. It is common courtesy to ask.

Keep in mind that she's working a job. Flip it around: You wouldn't want random people coming to your workplace and taking pictures of you working at your job without being asked, would you? (that is, regardless of whether your job is client facing or not).

Her job deals with customer, but it still doesn't take away her right to privacy. I'd imagine a number of FA would oblige, but it is first and foremost, a common courtesy to ask. So she wasn't out of line.

kiwiandrew Jun 27, 2014 12:27 am

Common courtesy would have been to ask first. I could understand you feel embarrassed at being caught out for your lack of manners. I'm not sure why you chose to feel humiliated about it though. You made a mistake, but presumably you apologised to her for your lack of courtesy, I think if she is prepared to let it go then you should just move on, lesson learned.

tom911 Jun 27, 2014 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Yes2milesandpoints (Post 23101867)
Is there a picture taking etiquette l didnt hear about?

Sounds like it's a little more than an etiquette issue in Germany. I wasn't aware they had laws such as this:

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 23102314)
Under German law she can certainly require you not to publish or display the picture, including to your friends or on a FaceTwit page.

Does sound like an impossible law to enforce, particularly when the flyer posts the photo when back in the U.S.