Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic a321NEO ‘Experience’

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2022, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Domestic a321NEO ‘Experience’

I flew AKL-WLG on OYA this morning, I was half expecting that I was about to walk onto Spirt Airlines.

But NZ seems to have kept some class, they are the same seat’s as the International a321N’s. Although san’s Inseat IFE, and USB ports (although I was in row 1).

Row 1 has a proper bulkhead, like the rest of the NEO’s with decent leg room.

Did notice that had opted for the AirSpace new style overhead bin, instead of the stupid pivoting ones of the International fleet. They seemed allot bigger than the CEO’s overhead.

Overall was an pretty standard NZ experience, although not installing WIFI on a 2022 build is questionable.

Seemed like the flight was 100% full.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
But no Space+ seating. Best is 83cm compared to 88cm on 32A. Yes, the seat is slightly different but still doesn’t compare in my view.
jeffrocowboy and mad_atta like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
But no Space+ seating. Best is 83cm compared to 88cm on 32A. Yes, the seat is slightly different but still doesn’t compare in my view.
Unless one can snag an exit row seat, it would seem. 12A/F on the 733 was always the prize. Yet another Koru "enhancement", along with the loss of the cheap multi-trip travel insurance that used to be available. Makes me pine for the soap man.

justakiwi
Old Nov 10, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Why install WiFi? Nobody will want to pay for it and it simply becomes an increased cost.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 11:16 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I flew on ZK-OYA as NZ412 on Tuesday morning.

Message received from NZ on Monday afternoon.

"A message from Air New Zealand.
With the exciting introduction of our larger A321 Neo Aircraft, we will be commencing boarding 5 minutes earlier for your flight tomorrow. Please be at the gate ready to board at least 15 minutes before departure.
We look forward to welcoming you on board soon!"

We boarded early, doors closed then waited for over 10 minutes before pushback. A few comments from around me about receiving message and then the wait.

Very thin Plastic.
Thai-Kiwi and cavemanzk like this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLG Base
I flew on ZK-OYA as NZ412 on Tuesday morning.

Message received from NZ on Monday afternoon.

"A message from Air New Zealand.
With the exciting introduction of our larger A321 Neo Aircraft, we will be commencing boarding 5 minutes earlier for your flight tomorrow. Please be at the gate ready to board at least 15 minutes before departure.
We look forward to welcoming you on board soon!"

We boarded early, doors closed then waited for over 10 minutes before pushback. A few comments from around me about receiving message and then the wait.

Very thin Plastic.
I got that text too for NZ405 yesterday morning, and just got it again for NZ452 today.

Yet never remember getting these tests when flying the International a321N’s on domestic.

Ironically NZ405 boarded late, yesterday due to airport resources…
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:41 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was getting off an Air Baltic A220 (my first time in they type) and as we boarded the bus to the terminal this particular 321 did a missed approach into Hamburg. Obviously a flight test from nearby Finkenwerder. A Mexican VivaAerobus performed a similar manoeuvre later. It brightened up my rainy day seeing the Koru in an autumnal Northern Europe - and likely the only time you’ll see it there nowadays.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Back from ZQN on ZK-OYA the other day. Not having the Space+ Seats is a huge negative. Its amazing how much of a diffence it makes. Not having WiFi isn't a biggy for me, as I never seem to have much luck connecting to it usually anyways. No need for IFE on such short Domestic flights.

On arrival at Auckland they only deplaned using the airbridge. No Air Stairs at the rear door. Full flight of well over 200 pax through the one exit..
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Back from ZQN on ZK-OYA the other day. Not having the Space+ Seats is a huge negative. Its amazing how much of a diffence it makes. Not having WiFi isn't a biggy for me, as I never seem to have much luck connecting to it usually anyways. No need for IFE on such short Domestic flights.

On arrival at Auckland they only deplaned using the airbridge. No Air Stairs at the rear door. Full flight of well over 200 pax through the one exit..
Was it weather or gate? As know some gates can't do stairs due to layout of apron.

Really need to make sure it goes to gates which allow stairs
Old Nov 10, 2022, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Was it weather or gate? As know some gates can't do stairs due to layout of apron.

I think it’s just the one gate closed to to the props now that can’t take boarding via stairs?

NZ are currently down a gate, with ramp works going on right in front of there gates.

That new terminal can’t come fast enough, although it’s great to see some steel piles sticking out of the ground now.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit

It was Gate I think, which hopefully will be avoidable in the future.

It really did take an age to deplane. Some people dawdle so bad!

Not a flight I wanted to be seated so far back on. But gotta book early if you want a decent seat nowadays....
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

About to board OYA again in WLG, running 30minutes late. Yet only being de boarded and re boarded by a single air bridge.

Seems all of NZ’s AKL a320/1 services tonight seem to be running with delays of 30-60minutes.

None of them have used rear boarding tonight in WLG. JQ we’re using it for there AKL flight.

Maybe NZ’s passengers are a little bit more softer to rain?
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:16 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The weather today hasn't helped. I flew back from ROT and was OK but TRG and AKL have had issues.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The weather today hasn't helped. I flew back from ROT and was OK but TRG and AKL have had issues.

Twice today I've tried to fly AKL - TRG and twice got diverted back to AKL. just one of those days Try again tomorrow
Old Nov 11, 2022, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Twice today I've tried to fly AKL - TRG and twice got diverted back to AKL. just one of those days Try again tomorrow
If only you get status points for every attempted landing.
HighFlyingKiwi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.