Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Why doesn’t participate in the US TSA PreCheck?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Does anyone know why NZ, unlike QF and nearly every other major airline, including low cost carriers, has decided to not participate in PreCheck, which provides for expedited screening for trusted travelers at US airports?

Last edited by SFO_FT; Jun 24, 2022 at 10:58 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Because it is only of use to US citizens / permanent residents and either they don’t carry enough or are to egalitarian to bother? Maybe they have decided not to facilitate a programme that offers no benefit to 99% of their customers? There is no reason it couldn’t easily be expanded to many other countries….. at least those with intelligence sharing agreements but the US has chosen not to - for no clear reason, in much the same way NZ doesn’t use it!
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by bce1
Because it is only of use to US citizens / permanent residents and either they don’t carry enough or are to egalitarian to bother? Maybe they have decided not to facilitate a programme that offers no benefit to 99% of their customers? There is no reason it couldn’t easily be expanded to many other countries….. at least those with intelligence sharing agreements but the US has chosen not to - for no clear reason, in much the same way NZ doesn’t use it!
When I fly SFO or LAX to Auckland (at least pre COVID), I would say at least 60% of passengers are American. It is strange NZ still aren't on board, since most international carriers I've been on have had this.
SeaProf likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: RFC
Because it costs money to participate. There's no benefit to the airline bottom line so why would they bother when it's not a point of differentiation between carriers?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Because it costs money to participate. There's no benefit to the airline bottom line so why would they bother when it's not a point of differentiation between carriers?
Nope. It’s not a cost issue. Even Spirit Airlines, an ultra LCC in the US, participates. TSA wants carriers to participate as every passenger that uses PreCheck costs the TSA, and the airlines who pay for it, less than non-PreCheck pax. Maybe it’s a customer data sharing issue with AirNZ.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:05 pm

Poor management? I guess you can give them a pass on this one for the past few years...
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Nope. It’s not a cost issue. Even Spirit Airlines, an ultra LCC in the US, participates. TSA wants carriers to participate as every passenger that uses PreCheck costs the TSA, and the airlines who pay for it, less than non-PreCheck pax. Maybe it’s a customer data sharing issue with AirNZ.
Yes but Spirit nearly all their customers would be eligible. So they can spread their fixed costs of running the integration & initial setup over more pax and flights.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: RFC
I don't think so. Spirit is bigger, with almost twice the revenue of NZ, and is competing in a very different market. Spirit pretty much has to participate given it's primarily flying US domestic market and everyone else there does. The other aspect is that the cost regime is completely different. For Spirit the cost of participation is fully tax deductible. For NZ it would be an external cost and is only deductible on US income, which is minimal. There is no bottom line benefit to NZ by participating as far as I can see. I would expect that it is purely a cost consideration for NZ; they simply won't spend money if they can avoid it or it adds nothing to their bottom line.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:59 am
Original Poster

All good points. But, the list of carriers that have gone through the hassle of being a participant in the program include a large number of carriers smaller than NZ, with small numbers of US departures, and/or with small numbers of pax that likely have gone through the process of enrolling in PreCheck. Allegiant, Volaris, even PAL Express, which doesn’t even fly to the US! Given how competitive NZ is with QF, I doubt it’s a cost issue but instead is a data sharing issue. Why oh why would Key Lime Air, GlobalX charters, and Air Serbia spend the $ to participate if participation was a financial cost to the carriers?
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
All good points. But, the list of carriers that have gone through the hassle of being a participant in the program include a large number of carriers smaller than NZ, with small numbers of US departures, and/or with small numbers of pax that likely have gone through the process of enrolling in PreCheck. Allegiant, Volaris, even PAL Express, which doesn’t even fly to the US! Given how competitive NZ is with QF, I doubt it’s a cost issue but instead is a data sharing issue. Why oh why would Key Lime Air, GlobalX charters, and Air Serbia spend the $ to participate if participation was a financial cost to the carriers?
Suspect it's primarily internal IT, NZ has a bunch of hand rolled stuff and doesn't use Sabre like Allegiant/Volaris/Air Serbia which I imagine can just plug into the DHS systems with a bit of config.
jawnbc likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Lots of pneumatic tubes at The Hub, eh? NZ and all other carriers flying into and out of the US are required to submit APIS data (passport and pax info, etc) to the US Government and I would have thought that that data would, after being received by the US, would generate a massage back to the carrier noting PreCheck eligibility for the relevant pax. Maybe NZ IT is so bad that it can’t put those messages on the PNR/DCS, but even that doesn’t make sense as the dreaded SSSS (secondary screening) does get applied to selected pax, so I don’t believe it’s an IT issue. Hmm, quite the mystery. Maybe an email to the Head of Commercial will provide an answer.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ *E
As I head to the airport now, I'm wondering why they still haven't implemented this -- they must be the few international carriers yet to do so?
Old Jul 3, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by samjnz
As I head to the airport now, I'm wondering why they still haven't implemented this -- they must be the few international carriers yet to do so?
Are they losing customers to QF, AA or DL because of this? Given the number of cities covered AirNZ has the best NA to NZ coverage.

I'm not about to pick a different airline based on pre check.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Are they losing customers to QF, AA or DL because of this? Given the number of cities covered AirNZ has the best NA to NZ coverage.

I'm not about to pick a different airline based on pre check.
It's not something I have had to worry about, given I fly out of Seattle. As such, I attach pre-check to my flight out of Seattle and then don't have to go through security in LAX, SFO (depending on airline) or YVR. Coming back, I always have pre-check lined up for the flight back to SEA, so again it's not an issue at LAX or SFO. Thus, of North Americans (at least based on my experiences), mainly only those who originate in one of the cities NZ flies to have to worry about it.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: NZ Elite, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Forget Pre Check - I've got a Greencard and can't even check in online with Air NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.