Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is Booking Credit Card needed at checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold

Just seeking some guidance. Hoping to pay for some J tickets for my parents MEL - YVR on my credit card (trying to take advantage of some last minute charges before changes to Aus issued AMEX points earnings).

Is the original booking credit card needed at checkin? I know it is a requirement for some Airlines but the Air NZ site only mentions passport.

I make one or two trips between Aust. & NZ every year and have never been asked for the card. Furthermore I have never been asked for the booking credit card leaving MEL on any flight on any airline - but just wanted to check this matches with the experiences of others and some obscure small print isn't floating around somewhere
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Nope.

Well I say nope because I've never been asked for it in probably 300 flights over the past few years.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I've never been asked for it, including for flights out of Melbourne.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:59 pm

Never been asked on AirNZ

Where I have heard about airlines doing it, is where a credit card issuing country is totally out of whack with purchase country. Particularly east Europe where a lot of card dumps are used & traded. Then that is only one flag, other flags like first time traveler, credit card name & passport not matching.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Never been asked on AirNZ

Where I have heard about airlines doing it, is where a credit card issuing country is totally out of whack with purchase country. Particularly east Europe where a lot of card dumps are used & traded. Then that is only one flag, other flags like first time traveler, credit card name & passport not matching.
Only time I’ve ever had it was with Esayjet in TXL, admittedly I brought the ticket on bus on the way to the airport, so gusse that would trigger an few alerts buying an ticket 2.5hrs before departure.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
It has been required extensively in Asia. SQ, TG, CX, MH, BR, FD, KE, OZ.... have all either asked me to see the card, or at least had it mentioned on the T&C that the card may be requested. The requirement to show the CCrd seemed to be lodged in a text entry in the PNR notes.

SQ, CX and MH all had a form you could complete and visit or scan and email your CCrd for verification (along with license or passport scan sometimes).

Regarding the text entry in PNR notes, I know this as when visiting the THAI office in Seoul, once the card check had been completed, I asked for a document to subsequently provide my to son, and was given a long telex-style print with the specific section of text highlighted with something like " CCRD CHK: CCRD VERIFIED SEOUL OFFICE DDMMMYY".

It all seemed so archaic.....especially since there is no check if using an OTA. Maybe airlines were being defrauded in Asia more than we might expect....
ps107 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 3:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
It has been required extensively in Asia. SQ, TG, CX, MH, BR, FD, KE, OZ....

It all seemed so archaic.....especially since there is no check if using an OTA. Maybe airlines were being defrauded in Asia more than we might expect....
it could also just be a hangover from the past - I have seen a fair bit of unnecessary and outdated bureaucracy/processes in Asian businesses.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
If it's booked through an OTA the airline can send an agency debit memo. If booked directly the airline bears the loss in the case of fraud.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:52 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
I once had the SQ AKL Airport Manager ring me prior to a flight to SIN to make sure I had the credit card I had used for the booking with me.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Thank's all - good feedback. They should be fine but just in case I'll be a good son and hang around while they check-in - instead of just dumping them at the airport curb! It's one way so no return leg to worry about.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by chad75
Thank's all - good feedback. They should be fine but just in case I'll be a good son and hang around while they check-in - instead of just dumping them at the airport curb! It's one way so no return leg to worry about.
Unfortunately all of the respondents have answered as if you are traveling, but as your OP makes clear it's your parents who are traveling. I've certainly been asked to show a credit card - most recently for TG in Sydney - when I was paying for my partner's ticket and not traveling myself. SQ actually has a question about whether you are travelling at the same time as someone else whose ticket you are buying who is not on a PNR with you. As you'll be there are check-in it might be wise to hang around until they've got their boarding passes safely in hand
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Unfortunately all of the respondents have answered as if you are traveling, but as your OP makes clear it's your parents who are traveling. I've certainly been asked to show a credit card - most recently for TG in Sydney - when I was paying for my partner's ticket and not traveling myself. SQ actually has a question about whether you are travelling at the same time as someone else whose ticket you are buying who is not on a PNR with you. As you'll be there are check-in it might be wise to hang around until they've got their boarding passes safely in hand
A lot of us will travel on flights brought by business credit cards which may be in business name or bosses name (in smaller companies) and don't have a card issued to them.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I had such a check once - before an Indigo flight from Delhi to Bangkok, some 5-6 years ago. Only time it happened to me.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Business account credit card

Originally Posted by nzkarit
A lot of us will travel on flights brought by business credit cards which may be in business name or bosses name (in smaller companies) and don't have a card issued to them.
And the UATP travel credit card issued by airnz which is in the company name and generally used as a virtual card not with a physical card
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
And the UATP travel credit card issued by airnz which is in the company name and generally used as a virtual card not with a physical card
Though doubt any airline would ask to see a UATP card as bookings while be labeled as such.

I haven't heard of much fraud happening via those as much harder to cash out so not a target for carding rings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.