Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Number of Elites

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by bce1
I would also care less except for one thing..... I have to transit via LAX 6-8 times a year. I dispair every time and in response to a complaint about why NZ cannot do more - given they do for their EP1s - was - there are two many elites - upto 15-20 on each in bound plane so they couldn’t do more as to many..... so I extrapolated! Or else stuck in another teir like qantas.
I am confused. What do you want them to do? To zip you past security? This post is very confusing. LAX has no good provisions for that because the USA does not have allowances for that when entering their country. You transit through LAX 6-8 times a year... do you not know USA laws and security measures? You're entering into a country that has been greatly impacted politically by terrorism and was isolationist for many years, this isn't New Zealand. And as far as I'm aware, Qantas has no provisions for it's First Class guests either.

Perhaps the EP1s have some magical way that celebrities get to use to clear security, but the USA is extremely tight and this would always be an extreme thing for a very, very elite group of exclusive guests due to their extreme security regulations. As in, EP1 level. It'll never be an option for "Elites" unless the "Elite" program became EP1 level exclusive, in which case... you would no longer qualify.

The problem there has nothing to do there being too many Elites. The problem here is that the New Zealand GOVERNMENT won't pay so that we can join the Global Entry program. That would fix the vast majority of the USA arrival woes.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Ouch. No need to sound so hostile.
im well aware of the process. Despite the rules a number of airlines have processes to expedite the process for their top tier elites. My comment was simply in reference to an NZ staff member saying they only have CBP permission to expidite clearance for a couple of passengers per flight - it’s still clearance, it’s just expedited. If you have 15 elites that will never work - if you have 1-2 passengers it might. My only point.
Ellice likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:28 pm

And that in itself is conjecture, to say the least. I don't know of any airline that has any "public" FFP that can get around USA security measures. If they do, then it's the exclusive/private EP1 style.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
You are missing the point. It’s not getting around anything. It’s expedited. And having gone through with an EP1 in November, I can confidently say a number of other airlines were using the same lane. But the thread is drifting off topic. So I will stop there.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by taupo
To your point:

My wife's EP kit was sent three times, plus two more tags for my requal. So eight extra.
I double mine up as to not show my details and double thickness makes them robust and 2 lanyards helps on each set. Safety first!
Ellice and NZ_Flyer like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:33 pm

Doesn't LAX also have the VIP terminal?
Suspect a car there & back would be one way to do it.

Think VA for a time were running their crew via the VIP terminal. Think saved them time so could get to hotel and onto the rest time sooner & also leave hotel later so more rest time
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
My two gripes are:
priority boarding, why cant they manage that properly? Qantas seem to be able to manage it on their domestic flights. Its not about feeling important or anything just purely practical. If they want to make this more practical, limit it to Star Gold and above (i.e. not Koru)

And I get frustrated by the endless negotiation over when you do or don't have to pay a fee to use their phone service. Quite often there are situations when you cant do something online, and you have to ask/ negotiate to waive the fee. I don't see why they cant just waive phone service fees for Elites? Simple change and surely wouldn't be that much of a revenue hit?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
My two gripes are:
priority boarding, why cant they manage that properly? Qantas seem to be able to manage it on their domestic flights. Its not about feeling important or anything just purely practical. If they want to make this more practical, limit it to Star Gold and above (i.e. not Koru)

And I get frustrated by the endless negotiation over when you do or don't have to pay a fee to use their phone service. Quite often there are situations when you cant do something online, and you have to ask/ negotiate to waive the fee. I don't see why they cant just waive phone service fees for Elites? Simple change and surely wouldn't be that much of a revenue hit?
I agree with the priority boarding issues and the inconsistency of helpfulness and charging on the phone, but my major gripe is the overcrowded lounges. I pay huge money to fly Air NZ J and very frequently the AKL lounge is unpleasantly full. Just the ability to "find a seat" does not make it a pleasant or acceptable place to be. It is certainly not a place to be able to quietly relax or work. I couldn't care less about the food, I just want a nice coffee and a quiet place to sit.

The reason for asking the number of Elites in the first place was that I was comparing benefits with a QF Plat colleague and he asked me how many Elites there were. I had to say I had no idea.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:04 pm

We worked it out before. I think we figured out that you get QF Platinum faster than Elite via flying, although with credit cards it evens the gap. The difference of course with QF Plat is that they have their own dedicated lounges. In another thread we were wistfully talked about elite only lounges but that is not going to happen unless Star Alliance forces it

I have stepped foot in a QF Platinum lounge once and only once but it was amazing 🤩
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bce1
. Despite the rules a number of airlines have processes to expedite the process for their top tier elites. My comment was simply in reference to an NZ staff member saying they only have CBP permission to expidite clearance for a couple of passengers per flight - it’s still clearance, it’s just expedited. If you have 15 elites that will never work - if you have 1-2 passengers it might. My only point.
Air Canada has this at LHR for arriving business class passengers. On board, you are given a fast track pass that is handed in when entering fast track. Presumedly AC pays LHR foe this service. If entering LHR on a non-EU passport, it saves a lot of time.
Quite sure NZ could have a similar arrangement at LHR for business class pax and/or GE's.

It has nothng to do with circumventing CPB, ICE or TSA, it's all about a faster and smoother journey through the acronyms. Much like Priority Check In, Priority Boarding, Priorirty Phone Answering etc, no circumvention, just looking for a more efficient and expeditious process.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
NZ have fast track passes at LHR for Elite pax flying in BP.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Priority access LHR

Originally Posted by sbiddle
NZ have fast track passes at LHR for Elite pax flying in BP.
They also gave the fast track pass to Elite on PE (and their guest)
It was faster
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
They just did it to me right now. Stuck in hideous traffic so missing my flight from AKL. App said 'your booking cannot be changed online "

Flexi ticket. The agent made a point about telling me as an exception they would waive the service fee
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
They just did it to me right now. Stuck in hideous traffic so missing my flight from AKL. App said 'your booking cannot be changed online "

Flexi ticket. The agent made a point about telling me as an exception they would waive the service fee
Yep that’s a bug bear for me as well. And NZ have obviously tightened up to gain extra revenue. A few years ago if you said you’d tried online and it didn’t work they’d waive the fee without you even asking. Now you have to push back with the agents quite hard in these cases where you can’t make a change online. Seems like they were told charge these fees unless the customer pushes back and doesn’t accept
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry

Instead of " Mr.OJMaker, as a show of gratitiude to you being one of our loyal frequent fliers, we will gladly waive the service fee, have a good flight."

The call centre has waived fees for me in such a manner, without any patronising comments or tone, it goes a long way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.