Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Houston transfer from Domestic to International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

Hi looking to book flight from New York to Houston with United Airlines, transfering to Air New Zealand flight to Auckland.
Transfer time is 1 hour. is this sufficient time to get through customs and security, also will luggage be transfered or will we need to collect.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Gillto!

I have moved your question to the Air New Zealand forum where I hope you will receive some help.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Gillto
Hi looking to book flight from New York to Houston with United Airlines, transfering to Air New Zealand flight to Auckland.
Transfer time is 1 hour. is this sufficient time to get through customs and security, also will luggage be transfered or will we need to collect.
You won't have to go through customs or security in Houston. You will pass through security in NY. There is no transfer security in the States nor are there outgoing immigration checks. It will be a very simple connection. Assuming that this is all on one ticket (and actually even if it isn't) your bags will be checked through. The biggest issue is Houston is a pretty big airport and you could face a fairly long walk from the gate you arrive at to the D Gates that Air New Zealand leaves from. Because of this, any delay in your NYC-Houston flight could cause you to miss your connection. So, 1 hour is tight but not because of security or customs....
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
No customs or security for a domestic to international connection in the US, assuming you are able to remain airside to get between the arrival and departure gates
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
No customs or security for a domestic to international connection in the US, assuming you are able to remain airside to get between the arrival and departure gates
Houston is all connected airside, that shouldn't be any issue. I'm hesitant to say that there is nothing to worry about with this connection as I sometimes worry about 6 hour connections, but anything that could go wrong here is out of the OP's hands (most likely late arriving to IAH) so they should make it easily.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not book a one-hour connection on this route. The question is not whether it is doable because it is within MCT and thus doable. The question for OP are the consequences of a misconnect.

While there are no security or passport control issues and presuming that this is booked on a single ticket as a connection, the onwards ticket is protected, the consequence of a misconnect mean either a messy delay and/or a lousy reroute, potentially in poor seats. Conversely, there are 9 nonstops a day EWR-IAH and 8 LGA-IAH, a total of 17 non-stops. I would unhesitatingly book a health connection time at IAH unless my schedule absolutely required me to be in NYC until the short connection.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Recently did a similar connection over Houston. I had a two hour connection.
Arrival to IAH was 20 minutes late (which can often happen). By the time we deboarded , and I walked to the D gates where AirNZ leaves from, there was about 15 minutes before boarding started.
A one hour connection is risky.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:46 am

We did this last week and were happy to have had a 2 hour connection because our UA flight from LGA was 30 minutes late. Plan Bs from IAH to AKL are not plentiful.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Like others, Departing LGA we were delayed 45min departing due to ground traffic. The corporate TA was trying to convince me that 1 hour would be fine, but very glad I stuck to my guns and took an earlier flight and longer connection.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm now a very risk adverse person when it comes to connections. With a few exceptions I'll never book anything that connections with a long haul flight unless it's on the same PNR, and I'd never contemplate a 1hr connection anywhere even if it does meet the MCT. Having to rush between gates (or even worse terminals) to make flights is never a nice experience.
1P and Bub001 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.