Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand 777-300ER hit by another plane at Los Angeles airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:54 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

An Air New Zealand Boeing 777-300 has been hit by another plane on the tarmac at Los Angeles International Airport.
The plane was parked on the gate and ready for boarding when its horizontal stabiliser was clipped by an aircraft from another airline.
The plane's scheduled flight NZ5 from Los Angeles to Auckland this evening (12 November local time) had to be cancelled...
Stuff
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
That headline is pretty sensational!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:30 am

So which other airline clipped them?

Surprised Stuff published a pax with a balanced opinion. Nothing to over the top. Stuff happens, just go with it. Normally they find someone who is all up in arms about the situation.
ps107, princeville and kyanar like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

I was wondering why it was parked up down the back.

Guess that's going to kill the upgrade chances. Looks like business is full for 13th and 14th LAX-AKL. Normal schedule for 15th November.
Can't believe the bad luck Air NZ has had.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Nov 13, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:36 pm

Ground incidents like these are more common than you might think. In the past and off the top of my head I can think of a TK aircraft that was clipped in IST, an AF A380 that was involved in a wing collision in JFK and a CX 77W that was pushed back into a pole in FCO. It might be more accurate to say that NZ has been lucky up until now!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: NZ *E, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Ground incidents like these are more common than you might think. In the past and off the top of my head I can think of a TK aircraft that was clipped in IST, an AF A380 that was involved in a wing collision in JFK and a CX 77W that was pushed back into a pole in FCO. It might be more accurate to say that NZ has been lucky up until now!
Are there established procedures for who pays for the damage and hotels for the inconvenienced passengers? Presumably in this case Air NZ pays for the repairs and hotel + local transport etc., and then invoices the offending airline? Or is it a lawyer fest?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Caractacus
Are there established procedures for who pays for the damage and hotels for the inconvenienced passengers? Presumably in this case Air NZ pays for the repairs and hotel + local transport etc., and then invoices the offending airline? Or is it a lawyer fest?
AirNZ's insurance company will deal with.

Also not sure how blame can be done as I pretty sure the NTSB reports are a no blame report, just there to try and stop it happening again.

Though given from what I understand the NZ plane was fully parked at the gate, so guess the other plane will be at fault or incorrect marshalling. Is there any better reports out yet which state who the other plane was?

ASN doesn't mention the other plane https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=217708
AV Herald doesn't mention anything yet https://avherald.com/
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Caractacus
It will all end up with insurers. Air NZ's plane will be insured and the carrier who pinged them will carry professional liability insurance which covers negligence like this (assuming they and not Los Angeles Ground are at fault - in which case their insurer will probably have to get involved as well).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Why are they common? These are million dollar aircraft. I look after things that are expensive. We have sensors on cars for parking or lane departures etc.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Key phrase 'more common that you might think', which is not necessarily 'common' (however that could be defined for this incident).

Given the extraordinary number of flights and ground movements everyday day globally, and that human error will always exist, it follows that there will be events like this happening from time-to-time. Certainly, there will have been many more near misses.

Sensors on cars for parking and lane departures sure hasn't eliminated car v car/building/tree events....
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes on-ground accidents happens more than most people think.

Wayward baggage carts/bins have been known to cause issues too.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
An AC aircraft at LAX was hit by a food truck. At YYZ, a BR 777 backed into a lighting pole. Other aircraft have backed into each other, the fence. One brand new LO 787 got sliced and diced by an AC bird at YYZ and was placed in the hangar for a long time, bed rest and surgery required. I wonder where the wing-walkers are.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: NZ *E, AA Lifetime Gold
Stuff has now posted photos of the damage to the AirNZ plane

Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:03 pm

How onground aircraft collisions happen:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...lisions-happen
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
How onground aircraft collisions happen:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...lisions-happen
interesting the parts are stored in Dubai
Warehousing must be cheap there and delivery from there the more efficient than say the factory in the USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.