FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Koru Club Access with United Club Membership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1936433-koru-club-access-united-club-membership.html)

weibelt Oct 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Koru Club Access with United Club Membership

I know there has been some discussion,(https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...plus-club.html), on this in the past.

I have called UA and they have said that a UA club membership should get access to Air New Zealand lounges that display the Star Alliance Gold symbol. The Star Alliance access policy, (https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder), says that the membership is valid for access.

I have been denied access access and just walked away instead of arguing. I was wondering if the above resources are wrong and access shouldn’t be granted or if there is someway to try to make the access go smoother?

I have talked to other UA club members and it seems like it is a crap shoot if you get access with more denials than admissions.

RTWFF Oct 19, 2018 4:35 pm

In my experience Air NZ make it up as they go along. If I ever think there's going to be an issue I print a copy of the relevant rule and take it along with me. It has never failed

cavemanzk Oct 19, 2018 4:43 pm

What NZ lounge was it that rejected you? NZ has in recent weeks been rejecting people in AKL (even there own passengers) and re-directing them to another lounge due to overcrowding.

sbiddle Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Where are you flying from/to and where does it say you specifically have access?

The only reference I see on the *A site referring to United Club membership being entitled to access is to a "business lounge" of which Air NZ do not have any.

Having *G would give entitlement to them all, but United Club membership is not *G.

weibelt Oct 19, 2018 4:49 pm

NPL just now. Previously CHC. I know that they have been sending some people at AKL to a contract lounge. It is not a capacity issue. I know people who have gotten CHC and AKL access, but it doesn’t seem to be consistent

sbiddle Oct 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by weibelt (Post 30334413)
NPL just now. Previously CHC. I know that they have been sending some people at AKL to a contract lounge. It is not a capacity issue. I know people who have gotten CHC and AKL access, but it doesn’t seem to be consistent

I'm just keen to know where it says you're entitled to access. Regardless of other things posted on here previously I can't see a single reference on the *A or United websites saying that you're entitled to Koru access so I'm curious where you're seeing this.

cavemanzk Oct 19, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by weibelt (Post 30334413)

Doesn't NZ treat the regional lounges differently to *A Gold Lounges?

weibelt Oct 19, 2018 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 30334427)
Doesn't NZ treat the regional lounges differently to *A Gold Lounges?

I don’t know, but the regional lounges display the *A Gold lounge symbol.

sbiddle Oct 19, 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by weibelt (Post 30334447)

I don’t know, but the regional lounges display the *A Gold lounge symbol.

Every Koru lounge is a *G lounge.

United Club membership is however not *G membership.

kyanar Oct 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30334467)
Every Koru lounge is a *G lounge.

United Club membership is however not *G membership.

Doesn't matter. StarAlliance says United Club and Maple Leaf Club membership give you access to NZ *G lounges.

sbiddle Oct 19, 2018 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar (Post 30334893)
Doesn't matter. StarAlliance says United Club and Maple Leaf Club membership give you access to NZ *G lounges.

Where specifically does it say that? I can't see any reference anywhere that says that and spent a long time today (ironically in a UA lounge!) looking for something that says this.

Xiaotung Oct 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30335136)
Where specifically does it say that? I can't see any reference anywhere that says that and spent a long time today (ironically in a UA lounge!) looking for something that says this.

Here. This policy has been in place since as long as I can remember and the list used to include CO and US lounge membership.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-access-policy

Paid Lounge Membership Customers

As holder of an eligible Paid Lounge Membership, you have access to any Star Alliance member airline’s Business Class Lounge at the airport where your flight departs. Eligible paid memberships are United Club and Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide.

You will need to show your boarding pass for a Star Alliance member airline operated flight together with your valid paid lounge membership card, displaying the Star Alliance Lounge Logo.

You are entitled to bring one guest travelling on any Star Alliance flight departing from the same airport on the same day.

Xiaotung Oct 19, 2018 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30334408)
Where are you flying from/to and where does it say you specifically have access?

The only reference I see on the *A site referring to United Club membership being entitled to access is to a "business lounge" of which Air NZ do not have any.

Having *G would give entitlement to them all, but United Club membership is not *G.

This is funny. Business lounge is just a generic name. Most airlines brand their lounge in some way but it doesn't make it not a business lounge. I don't think the whole Star network has a lounge that's named "Business Lounge".

And I think all lounges other than First are Business Lounges. And all Star business lounges carry the Star Gold signage with a few exceptions.

sbiddle Oct 20, 2018 12:02 am

I don't interpret "business lounge" as meaning all *G lounges.

Certainly using the *A lounge finder and selecting United Club as the eligibility doesn't bring up Koru lounges (nor most *G lounges) in some random searches I tried. Looking at the United Club site makes no mention of accessing *G lounges either.

What does "business lounge" mean? That's a very good question. It's very clear it does not mean all *G lounges.
​​​​​​
So I guess I'm asking the same question again... Where does it say anywhere United Club membership gives access to *G lounges?

Xiaotung Oct 20, 2018 12:27 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30335248)
I don't interpret "business lounge" as meaning all *G lounges.

When a member airline has a lounge for their Business Class pax, they must also extend that lounge access to *G pax as well, unless there is an alternative such as the Kris Gold lounges at SIN and the Polaris alternative being United Club.

So yes all member owned Business Class lounges must be *G designated. You are being pedantic. There is no such thing as Economy Class lounge.