FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Checking in baggage at Auckland domestic new process (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1932536-checking-baggage-auckland-domestic-new-process.html)

jeffrocowboy Sep 25, 2018 10:42 pm

Checking in baggage at Auckland domestic new process

Hi,
the new process for checking in bags (i.e. customers scanning bag tags while dropping off bags) looks like a recipe for disaster when it's busy. Some people still have trouble with the kiosks! Not sure how this new requirement will be coped with.
It used to be bad enough just lining up to drop off the bags.
Can't quite see how this enhances the customer experience. It only seems to free up an AirNZ member from scanning behind the scenes.
Premium desk is of little assistance I find, it's too slow usually.

Bub001 Sep 25, 2018 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy (Post 30246205)
Hi,
the new process for checking in bags (i.e. customers scanning bag tags while dropping off bags) looks like a recipe for disaster when it's busy. Some people still have trouble with the kiosks! Not sure how this new requirement will be coped with.
It used to be bad enough just lining up to drop off the bags.
Can't quite see how this enhances the customer experience. It only seems to free up an AirNZ member from scanning behind the scenes.
Premium desk is of little assistance I find, it's too slow usually.

It’s NEVER been about enhancing the customer experience. I am one of the people who has trouble with the kiosks...last time I was is AKL 4 kiosks malfunctioned while I was in the process of checking in, and I was locked out. More than half the machines were out of order. And how many staff were there? NONE. Even though I am not an exalted airnz FF, I had no choice but to go to the Premium desk where a patronising supercilious agent claimed to be able to solve all my problems: she did not.

NZ_Flyer Sep 26, 2018 12:43 am

Yep it's a disaster when it's busy

kiwicyclo Sep 27, 2018 1:42 am

Self loading freight.

codyc1515 Sep 28, 2018 3:51 am

My partners name has a hyphen in it so Air NZ's automated systems refused to do anything for her. She cannot check-in online or check-in at a kiosk and must always see a staff member to get them to manually do it, which is a hassle when they tend to be so hard to find. Pretty poor really, but understandable I guess given the age of their IT systems.

Markhm Sep 28, 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515 (Post 30255672)
My partners name has a hyphen in it so Air NZ's automated systems refused to do anything for her. She cannot check-in online or check-in at a kiosk and must always see a staff member to get them to manually do it, which is a hassle when they tend to be so hard to find. Pretty poor really, but understandable I guess given the age of their IT systems.

mine does too but never had issues as the system removes the hypen, (which causes issues at TSA pe screening but that is another story).

mad_atta Oct 2, 2018 4:53 am

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo (Post 30251093)
Self loading freight.

:D Ain't that the truth!!

cavemanzk Oct 2, 2018 10:43 am

What was wrong with the old drop and go system? It was probably one of the best bag drops out there until the recent changes.

zebranz Oct 2, 2018 11:39 am

Like most things- when it works- it is fine. My last 3 drops were failures.

Thai-Kiwi Oct 2, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 30270521)
What was wrong with the old drop and go system? It was probably one of the best bag drops out there until the recent changes.

A cynic might say Air NZ is trying to capture 'lost' ancillary revenue - bags being over weight.... perhaps too many folks dropping bags over 23kg? or worse, over 32kg which needs 2 staff to lift.

sbiddle Oct 2, 2018 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30271127)
A cynic might say Air NZ is trying to capture 'lost' ancillary revenue - bags being over weight.... perhaps too many folks dropping bags over 23kg? or worse, over 32kg which needs 2 staff to lift.

I think you're partially correct - but I was also told a year or so ago one of the reasons for moving to this was to get more accurate weight data for aircraft loading. I'd just assumed bags were weighted behind the scenes automatically but I don't think that is the case at all airports and that some of this is still manual.

Thai-Kiwi Oct 2, 2018 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30271247)
I think you're partially correct - but I was also told a year or so ago one of the reasons for moving to this was to get more accurate weight data for aircraft loading. I'd just assumed bags were weighted behind the scenes automatically but I don't think that is the case at all airports and that some of this is still manual.

I would also have assumed bags were weighed behind the scenes, but if not then this change is a quite plausible explanation.

oranjemakker Oct 23, 2018 6:54 pm

One small data point, just observed this at 1330 on Weds arvo, very quiet in the terminal. Long line at the new bag drop. Think their new "clever" system is too clever for many of their customers! People just looking confused! Only one harried employee trying to help all six drop off booths

Top of climb Oct 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30271247)

Hawaiian's check-in system (which was, ironically, modelled on the original NZ version) has scales aligned to each kiosk so that the bag is weighed at the kiosk before it is tagged and then wheeled over to be dropped off. Admittedly this doesn't rule out a situation where someone could weigh and tag the bag, and then open the bag to sneak more stuff inside, but this seems like a better way of managing the drop process. Oh well, too late now.

jeffrocowboy Dec 5, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 30348748)
One small data point, just observed this at 1330 on Weds arvo, very quiet in the terminal. Long line at the new bag drop. Think their new "clever" system is too clever for many of their customers! People just looking confused! Only one harried employee trying to help all six drop off booths

yep 100+ people waiting to lodge their bags on Saturday morning - queue snaked right around the check-in area. Goodness knows how long it would take to get through that.

This has changed my behavior - I always used kiosk to check myself in (typically travel with baggage), now I will go the elite counter