Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Checking in baggage at Auckland domestic new process

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

Hi,
the new process for checking in bags (i.e. customers scanning bag tags while dropping off bags) looks like a recipe for disaster when it's busy. Some people still have trouble with the kiosks! Not sure how this new requirement will be coped with.
It used to be bad enough just lining up to drop off the bags.
Can't quite see how this enhances the customer experience. It only seems to free up an AirNZ member from scanning behind the scenes.
Premium desk is of little assistance I find, it's too slow usually.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
Hi,
the new process for checking in bags (i.e. customers scanning bag tags while dropping off bags) looks like a recipe for disaster when it's busy. Some people still have trouble with the kiosks! Not sure how this new requirement will be coped with.
It used to be bad enough just lining up to drop off the bags.
Can't quite see how this enhances the customer experience. It only seems to free up an AirNZ member from scanning behind the scenes.
Premium desk is of little assistance I find, it's too slow usually.
Its NEVER been about enhancing the customer experience. I am one of the people who has trouble with the kiosks...last time I was is AKL 4 kiosks malfunctioned while I was in the process of checking in, and I was locked out. More than half the machines were out of order. And how many staff were there? NONE. Even though I am not an exalted airnz FF, I had no choice but to go to the Premium desk where a patronising supercilious agent claimed to be able to solve all my problems: she did not.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Yep it's a disaster when it's busy
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:42 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Self loading freight.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:51 am

My partners name has a hyphen in it so Air NZ's automated systems refused to do anything for her. She cannot check-in online or check-in at a kiosk and must always see a staff member to get them to manually do it, which is a hassle when they tend to be so hard to find. Pretty poor really, but understandable I guess given the age of their IT systems.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by codyc1515
My partners name has a hyphen in it so Air NZ's automated systems refused to do anything for her. She cannot check-in online or check-in at a kiosk and must always see a staff member to get them to manually do it, which is a hassle when they tend to be so hard to find. Pretty poor really, but understandable I guess given the age of their IT systems.
mine does too but never had issues as the system removes the hypen, (which causes issues at TSA pe screening but that is another story).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Self loading freight.
Ain't that the truth!!
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: NZ Koru
What was wrong with the old drop and go system? It was probably one of the best bag drops out there until the recent changes.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Like most things- when it works- it is fine. My last 3 drops were failures.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What was wrong with the old drop and go system? It was probably one of the best bag drops out there until the recent changes.
A cynic might say Air NZ is trying to capture 'lost' ancillary revenue - bags being over weight.... perhaps too many folks dropping bags over 23kg? or worse, over 32kg which needs 2 staff to lift.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
A cynic might say Air NZ is trying to capture 'lost' ancillary revenue - bags being over weight.... perhaps too many folks dropping bags over 23kg? or worse, over 32kg which needs 2 staff to lift.
I think you're partially correct - but I was also told a year or so ago one of the reasons for moving to this was to get more accurate weight data for aircraft loading. I'd just assumed bags were weighted behind the scenes automatically but I don't think that is the case at all airports and that some of this is still manual.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I think you're partially correct - but I was also told a year or so ago one of the reasons for moving to this was to get more accurate weight data for aircraft loading. I'd just assumed bags were weighted behind the scenes automatically but I don't think that is the case at all airports and that some of this is still manual.
I would also have assumed bags were weighed behind the scenes, but if not then this change is a quite plausible explanation.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
One small data point, just observed this at 1330 on Weds arvo, very quiet in the terminal. Long line at the new bag drop. Think their new "clever" system is too clever for many of their customers! People just looking confused! Only one harried employee trying to help all six drop off booths
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Hawaiian's check-in system (which was, ironically, modelled on the original NZ version) has scales aligned to each kiosk so that the bag is weighed at the kiosk before it is tagged and then wheeled over to be dropped off. Admittedly this doesn't rule out a situation where someone could weigh and tag the bag, and then open the bag to sneak more stuff inside, but this seems like a better way of managing the drop process. Oh well, too late now.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
One small data point, just observed this at 1330 on Weds arvo, very quiet in the terminal. Long line at the new bag drop. Think their new "clever" system is too clever for many of their customers! People just looking confused! Only one harried employee trying to help all six drop off booths
yep 100+ people waiting to lodge their bags on Saturday morning - queue snaked right around the check-in area. Goodness knows how long it would take to get through that.

This has changed my behavior - I always used kiosk to check myself in (typically travel with baggage), now I will go the elite counter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.