Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Do FA's control alcohol consumption on flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do FA's control alcohol consumption on flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mad_atta
... I would say you never know what you're missing out on [not talking to other people].
Lemme guess- you're one of those folks who talks to your rideshare driver unsolicited too, huh?

Uber and/or Lyft were supposed to be rolling out a selectable "Quiet" option where the driver won't try and start up a stupid conversation about "your day" or the like, but I haven't seen it rolled out.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Lemme guess- you're one of those folks who talks to your rideshare driver unsolicited too, huh?

Uber and/or Lyft were supposed to be rolling out a selectable "Quiet" option where the driver won't try and start up a stupid conversation about "your day" or the like, but I haven't seen it rolled out.
I make a point of saying hello and asking them how their day/evening/night is going, and take my cue from their response as to whether they want to talk. In other words I treat them like a human and an equal, not a servant.

But I think what you’re really asking is am I one of those annoying incessant chatterboxes who inflicts inane conversation onto others - and to that the answer is a definite no. I’m far more often in the situation of fending off other people’s inane chatter rather than encountering reluctant conversationalists.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of times when I have zero desire to talk to other people, in which case I hope others will respect that as I would for them. But for those of you who are so militantly defending your right not to engage with the world around you, and almost wear that misanthropy as a badge of pride, my point is that you’re probably missing out on some enriching experiences. If you view travel and your fellow travellers as something to be endured and avoided respectively, then your experience will be shaped by that expectation. Is your latest email or Netflix series or podcast so incredibly urgent that you simply can’t afford a few minutes of human interaction?

OK, OK, I’ll get off my soapbox.

sbiddle, toop28, KiwiJC and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Is your latest email or Netflix series or podcast so incredibly urgent that you simply can’t afford a few minutes of human interaction?
YES, dammit- especially since many times that's the only real time I get to do those things in peace and without interruption- I've caught up more on my various store-and-watch-later streaming services at 30Kft than I have at home lately, for instance.

you’re really asking is am I one of those annoying incessant chatterboxes
Hmmmm ...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Issues such as this need to be raised to cabin crew on the spot. They are trained to deal with these situations and can, in the first instance, simply cut the drunk off. To be frank, if it's not worth reporting on the spot, it's not really that big a deal.

As to the assertion that the law is what the "commander" says it is, that is rubbish. It is a NZ aircraft departing the US. Both NZ and US laws as they relate to alcohol service will apply. NZ agreed to that in seeking landing rights in the US.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Often1
As to the assertion that the law is what the "commander" says it is, that is rubbish. It is a NZ aircraft departing the US. Both NZ and US laws as they relate to alcohol service will apply. NZ agreed to that in seeking landing rights in the US.
Utter rubbish. Given there's no such thing as "US law" anyway (as the United States Constitution does not imbue the Federal Government with the right to regulate liquor service) this is totally impossible. Unless you mean the law changes depending on which state you're currently flying over, which is just stupid - especially given on an international flight, it would be illegal if you were correct to serve alcohol to 19 year olds on NZ1 - yet weirdly, they serve alcohol to 19 year olds. And as to the regime for the registration state of the airline - also impossible. Air New Zealand holds no liquor licenses for any of its international jets (and yes, this means if you get an equipment swap on a domestic flight to an international jet, they cannot legally serve alcohol) and the Sale of Liquor Act says nothing about aircraft save that a person can buy duty free if they're about to get on one. Based on your assertion, on an NZ flight you would never be able to get alcohol, which is clearly not the case.

When in the air, the law that applies is that contained within the ICAO treaties. Liquor service is not among them, meaning the law is totally silent on the topic. In accordance with the Montreal Protocol 2014, however, it is unlawful to cause a disturbance on a plane and all ICAO member nations have ratified that. Australia took it one step further and just made it plain illegal to be intoxicated on an aircraft.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:06 am

Programs: AirNZ G*, AirAsia Black
Sad

I'm truly upset that everyone here has missed the point and is victim blaming. It's not your fault this happened. The tone in which people are highlighting your politeness does NOT matter, this was not your fault and it frustrates me that those who have commented are blaming you for this persons drunken actions.

Anyway, the Sale of Liquor act will apply, it might just take a few e-mails and a bit of research to find if AirNZ have their Liquor License with Auckland Council or another authority to lay a complaint.

Originally Posted by toop28
So I had an uncomfortable experience on my last flight with ANZ.
Like all of us that travel alone, I am always seated next to a stranger.
I am polite and make some small talk since I'll be next to this person for the next 10 1/2 hrs.
Flying LAX-LHR in PE. The conversation started out fine. We then put on our headphones and watched tv.
Then the drinks began flowing. One drink, then 2 then 3 and so on. For him, not me. Dinner and more drinks. By drink 8, he was clearly inebriated. He became very creepy.
He was trying to engage me in conversation and kept looking over at me. He would tap me on the shoulder to get my attention when I was clearly ignoring him. I was really uncomfortable and just sat with my arms folded and in the corner of my chair for the whole flight.
Luckily he passed out by the next drink.
Shouldn't the FA's be accountable for how many drinks they give passengers? He was clearly drunk, yet they kept serving him.
I was going to approach the FA and ask them not to serve him anymore but I don't know if I can even do that.
What would you have done in this instance?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by mcgma760
I'm truly upset that everyone here has missed the point and is victim blaming. It's not your fault this happened. The tone in which people are highlighting your politeness does NOT matter, this was not your fault and it frustrates me that those who have commented are blaming you for this persons drunken actions.

Anyway, the Sale of Liquor act will apply, it might just take a few e-mails and a bit of research to find if AirNZ have their Liquor License with Auckland Council or another authority to lay a complaint.
Won't that be their domestic liquor license? Don't think you need a liquor for international flights. Even the the international lounges I think are a corner case, as they will have the spirits out for free pour for the 6am flights while the domestic lounge doesn't
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by mcgma760
The Sale of Liquor act does not apply to international flights, as they are not in New Zealand. Air New Zealand have liquor licenses for all domestic craft (note entries for "Air New Zealand" and a Premises Address of "ZK-XXX", where XXX denotes the registration of a domestic craft), but no international craft. Yes, this does mean that if you get equipment swapped on a domestic route to an international craft, alcohol cannot be served.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
The Sale of Liquor act does not apply to international flights, as they are not in New Zealand. Air New Zealand have liquor licenses for all domestic craft (note entries for "Air New Zealand" and a Premises Address of "ZK-XXX", where XXX denotes the registration of a domestic craft), but no international craft. Yes, this does mean that if you get equipment swapped on a domestic route to an international craft, alcohol cannot be served.
This is really interesting, thanks. I've had Koru Hour service (with alcohol) on an international A320 before, which from your post suggested wouldn't be possible, so I downloaded the register to have a nosey. It looks like all the international configured A320s are also listed on the register, presumably to allow some flexibility in using them on domestic routes.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:31 pm

Just looking at the Spreadsheet. Auckland has the Dom lounge and the Regional lounge, yet Wellington only has the one lounge listed.

Outside of the international lounges (which are a corner case) the Invercargill domestic lounge is the only lounge with a 24/7 license. May be AirNZ should register the domestic planes there so they aren't under the restrictive Auckland rules of 8am to midnight expect ZK-OAB which has it from 6.30am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:15 pm

I think the problem here is that while sitting next to them for hours enabled the OP to assess that the other pax was "clearly drunk" I wonder how that guy appeared to the FA's? Ive seen folks refused more drinks on NZ (so they clearly are not institutionally blasé about their RSA obligations) but if the guy was quiet and apparently OK how would the FA know there was an actual problem...without being told?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.