Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't NZ participate in the US PreCheck program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

Anyone know why NZ doesn't participate? QF, VS, and, surprisingly, BA don't participate either. Seems like most other non-US carriers do, including some with minimal levels of activity.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Possibly need to be USA resident / citizen :/ social security number holder?
Note: At this time, only U.S. citizens, U.S. Nationals and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) are eligible for the application.

Last edited by kiwicyclo; May 9, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Yes, but most non-US carriers participate as they want to encourage US pax, especially high-yielding business pax, to find it easier to travel on them. BA's not participating is the real oddity!
Old May 9, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Yes, but most non-US carriers participate as they want to encourage US pax, especially high-yielding business pax, to find it easier to travel on them. BA's not participating is the real oddity!
High yielding business passengers at Air NZ's departure points can use the business class security lines.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
High yielding business passengers at Air NZ's departure points can use the business class security lines.
It doesn't really compare to TSA Precheck. It's one of the one things I appreciate when traveling United internationally is to be able to use these security lines and not worry about shoes, etc
Old May 9, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I've wondered this myself (in particular about BA and QF, less so about NZ). I think it would be a nice improvement.

Given that UK nationals can also participate in Global Entry (and thus implicitly TSA Pre), it seems like this would be attractive for the LAX-LHR flight if nothing else.

Edit: now that I think about it, since TBIT doesn't have a TSA Pre checkpoint except at the transit facility, this may be of limited value. It would provide benefit at IAH/SFO/HNL/ORD (IIRC Pre is coming to T5).

Last edited by ajnz; May 9, 2018 at 1:29 pm
Old May 9, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
At HNL we usually start in the Gold lane and end up just being diverted to the usual lines with no benefit at all.
Old May 9, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by smandkjc
At HNL we usually start in the Gold lane and end up just being diverted to the usual lines with no benefit at all.
At HNL lines are a fluid concept...
Old May 9, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
The big problem for me is SFO. I usually book my domestic ticket getting to the international departure separately. At LAX I can just stay in the secure zone and head to the lounge and get my boarding pass there. At SFO I have to exit the secure area and check in at the counter and then go back through security. I do wish NZ participated in pre-check as it does make life a lot easier (and quicker).
Old May 9, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I strongly suspect that it's threefold - one, they only flew into two cities where it's of benefit (SFO, IAH) and two cost. I guarantee you TSA requires $$$ to participate (which, incidentally, is the reason NZ-the-country refuses to participate in Global Entry) which they don't want to spend. Third would be that NZ doesn't really target the US market as a source at all - they're hyper-active in Australia and New Zealand (both countries where citizens are ineligible for Global Entry and by extension PreCheck) but have no real marketing presence in the US and UK.

With the expansion to ORD later this year, they may review this decision, but I wouldn't hold my breath (and to be honest as a shareholder if it incurs a major cost I would be questioning the investment).
Old May 9, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
The big problem for me is SFO. I usually book my domestic ticket getting to the international departure separately. At LAX I can just stay in the secure zone and head to the lounge and get my boarding pass there. At SFO I have to exit the secure area and check in at the counter and then go back through security. I do wish NZ participated in pre-check as it does make life a lot easier (and quicker).
This sounds like a dangerous bet given SFO's notorious afternoon weather delays.

Also can you not just get a BP at the gate? Or flying AS?
Old May 10, 2018, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Possibly need to be USA resident / citizen :/ social security number holder?
Note: At this time, only U.S. citizens, U.S. Nationals and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) are eligible for the application.
No. Global Entry comes with TSA PreCheck. No need to be a US citizen or resident.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by samyoull
This sounds like a dangerous bet given SFO's notorious afternoon weather delays.

Also can you not just get a BP at the gate? Or flying AS?
Flying Alaska.

I typically give myself loads of time when flying to SFO (5 hours at a minimum). I don't mind long layovers as it gives me time to catch up on my work.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SeaProf
Flying Alaska.

I typically give myself loads of time when flying to SFO (5 hours at a minimum). I don't mind long layovers as it gives me time to catch up on my work.
Fair, I'm the same - always have an extra connection available before NZ7 - especially now the Centurion lounge is an option.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by samyoull
Fair, I'm the same - always have an extra connection available before NZ7 - especially now the Centurion lounge is an option.
If you're flying in BP you also get access to the new Polaris lounge. I know two people who have been there since it opened and both were pretty impressed by it. One said it beat Centurion hands down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.