Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long is Hi Fly going to be around?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
Just as a data point, I was very recently on AKL-SFO (NZ8) and unable to select seats until about a week before the flight. This had nothing to do with HiFly as it was on a 777. I've never learned why we couldn't select seats until so close to departure.
It may have been 789 related as they have been juggling 777 as well. A 772 did the 6th with another scheduled on the 13 for the NZ8 the rest 773 recently
SeaProf likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
NZ is operated by both 777s so there is always the potential for a swap.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
I have NZ102 booked in the second week of April and I called Air NZ this morning to check on the status. They said the HiFly A343 is scheduled to the 30th of March. Then I found the website saying the same thing. I've also noticed on flightradar24.com's fleet listing that all 11 789's are back in the air, so it's unclear why they're still running the HiFly wet lease. It would appear that all the triple-7's are fully in service, with the exception of ZK-OKB, which appears to be parked at SIN for the past 10 days. So I'm guessing that this is a normal rotation among the heavy aircraft and they should be able by now to resume their regular aircraft utilisation. Here's hoping that the fleet is fully back to normal by the time I fly, as I've been actively avoiding that horrible HiFly service.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:38 pm

Are they back? NZE hasn't flown since 4 Dec and NZH hasn't flown since 6 Dec. Have only seen NZD flying out of the three grounded ones.

How were you checking Flight Radar? On the ground ages plane off after X days and the 789 grounding is longer than X days. You need to look the 789s by their rego to see that they are still on the ground
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:23 pm

Also, even if all the 787's do get back in service very soon, due to the higher utilisation than normal of the 777's, some of them will need services sooner than usual, so they might have to come out of service briefly.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Are they back? NZE hasn't flown since 4 Dec and NZH hasn't flown since 6 Dec. Have only seen NZD flying out of the three grounded ones.

How were you checking Flight Radar? On the ground ages plane off after X days and the 789 grounding is longer than X days. You need to look the 789s by their rego to see that they are still on the ground
You're right. I looked at each of them individually yesterday by rego and I swear all 11 had flown in the last few days. Checked again just now. I don't know what I thought I saw before. I must be getting old...or maybe the awful experience on 9H-FOX warped my brain.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:41 am

NZH back in action

Looks like NZH flew a shakedown flight today and does AKL-MEL-AKL om Sunday. That’s a good sign and only leaves NZE on the ground.

Last edited by Boofer; Mar 23, 2018 at 2:41 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
NZE definitely on the ground
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Does anybody know whether was any significance to NZE being the aircraft that got scavenged for engines and is now the last one remaining on the ground?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jdavido
NZE definitely on the ground
Just trying to figure out where that photo was taken from. Is it taken from the AirNZ Hanger or similar?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: AC:E - NZ:G-E - Virgin Australia: G - Hilton:G- AF:blue
a photo from a friend. not sure where he got it from

I heard the Perth HiFly aircraft is leaving NZ tonight Tuesday

Last edited by jdavido; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:23 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
NZ175/6 was operated for the first time in a while by Air NZ B789 today.

9H-SUN is scheduled to fly AKL - SYD until at least the weekend.

Last edited by QTFLYER; Mar 27, 2018 at 1:52 am
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Great news!
After my fourth consecutive hi fly flight in J I’m very over the poor food and VOD! The only good thing is that I can fully recline immediately and sleep the whole thing away. The crew are also very noisy in the adjacent galley.

On that note, has anyone ever converted J seat to bed on TT? No mattress so probably not that comfortable.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
On that note, has anyone ever converted J seat to bed on TT? No mattress so probably not that comfortable.
I have on a 777 once or twice, albeit I must confess that has been after a fairly large night with little sleep and an early morning flight, so in all likelihood I would've slept on concrete quite happily!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 4:49 am

I got direct confirmation from NZ customer service today that they’re definitely ending HiFly on March 30th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.