Wiki Posts
Search

Status points for USA travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Status points for USA travel

If you buy a ticket ex Akl to say Chicago and the app says 304 SP are all thr SP treated as Airnz SP for the purpose of the 810 SP required to maintain Elite status ?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Beano
If you buy a ticket ex Akl to say Chicago and the app says 304 SP are all thr SP treated as Airnz SP for the purpose of the 810 SP required to maintain Elite status ?
Only the NZ operated/metal segment will count as NZ flights for Elite, so your AKL-SFO/LAX/IAH flights
Connecting flights, even having an NZ codeshare number, will only count for *A/general SP earn

The only exceptions are all NZ coded VA alliance flights for the NZ/VA Trans Tasman alliance, and all NZ coded CX alliance flights for the NZ/CX NZ/Hong Kong alliance.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
I didn’t even think about this. I booked a Singapore J flight to UK which has been changed to Air NZ metal, that’s should count now but the original booking wouldn’t?

One you retain, are there proportional
requirements for banked year threshold?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by hodi
I didn’t even think about this. I booked a Singapore J flight to UK which has been changed to Air NZ metal, that’s should count now but the original booking wouldn’t?

One you retain, are there proportional
requirements for banked year threshold?
Yes there are proportional requirements for a banked year.

If you are now flying NZ metal all the way via LAX then you'll earn all points as NZ earn. On NZ/SQ it would have been a mix of NZ and *A/"other" earn.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Yes, the SQ alliance is a joke when compared to that of CX. I was on SQ back from SIN last year on SQ metal, the earn rate was peanuts. I should have not credited to NZ. I personally feel that it is a trap, so buyers beware.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Originally Posted by mmonster
Yes, the SQ alliance is a joke when compared to that of CX. I was on SQ back from SIN last year on SQ metal, the earn rate was peanuts. I should have not credited to NZ. I personally feel that it is a trap, so buyers beware.
Was originally on the WLG-CAN-SG route but updated to AKL SG direct on NZ metal. The earn rate wasn't too bad for J around 500 odd SP and the price was essentially they same as NZ1 return in PE, but didn't realise it wouldn't count to retention etc. Someone should offer a MSc in AirNZ loyalty
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by hodi
Was originally on the WLG-CAN-SG route but updated to AKL SG direct on NZ metal. The earn rate wasn't too bad for J around 500 odd SP and the price was essentially they same as NZ1 return in PE, but didn't realise it wouldn't count to retention etc. Someone should offer a MSc in AirNZ loyalty
yes, that WLG-CBR route has interesting earn rates but given that it is going to end and it is operated by 777 with 2 +2+2 config on J, it may be the Easter Egg with SP, yes, it is rocket science to work out how the fairy will hand out SPs
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Originally Posted by mmonster
yes, that WLG-CBR route has interesting earn rates but given that it is going to end and it is operated by 777 with 2 +2+2 config on J, it may be the Easter Egg with SP, yes, it is rocket science to work out how the fairy will hand out SPs
Speaking of easter eggs, at one point I had figured out that A, F, and Z on UA had a ludicrously high earn rate for SP relative to their actual cost in dollars. Has anyone looked recently, and if so, is it still the case that the rate is really good?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
So when you calculate the SP that you need to retain Elite ie the 820 SP (the other 1350 -810 = 540SP seems to be able to be achieved with credit card and/or star alliance flights) do you
look at Akl to lax on the same flight ...look at the SP earn and that is the Elite SP earn ...all the other SP earn is really star alliance earn required for the 540SP earn?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
So when you calculate the SP that you need to retain Elite ie the 820 SP (the other 1350 -810 = 540SP seems to be able to be achieved with credit card and/or star alliance flights) do you
look at Akl to lax on the same flight ...look at the SP earn and that is the Elite SP earn ...all the other SP earn is really star alliance earn required for the 540SP earn?
Yes.
AKL-LAX on NZ metal/ticket stock's SP earn is towards the 810SP needed to retain Elite
LAX-anywhere else in US on UA (even if it's NZ codeshare) counts towards the 540SP for *A/Other (Credit Card)

So the hard(er) part of earning/retaining Elite is more the NZ / "Alliance flight" requirements... most Elites I know (myself included) have no issue getting enough SPs via Credit Card or *A earn/flights
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Speaking of easter eggs, at one point I had figured out that A, F, and Z on UA had a ludicrously high earn rate for SP relative to their actual cost in dollars. Has anyone looked recently, and if so, is it still the case that the rate is really good?
Kind of...
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/star-alliance-united

A, F are First Class earn
C, D, J, P are Business Class earn
Z falls under Full Economy earn

Most domestic UA First Class flights either book into full A/F, or more often P or Z.
P is a good compromise between cost and SP earn
I personally avoid booking into Z as it's a step down in SP earn and often no cheaper than P inventory (in my experience)
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Kamadan
Kind of...
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/star-alliance-united

A, F are First Class earn
C, D, J, P are Business Class earn
Z falls under Full Economy earn

Most domestic UA First Class flights either book into full A/F, or more often P or Z.
P is a good compromise between cost and SP earn
I personally avoid booking into Z as it's a step down in SP earn and often no cheaper than P inventory (in my experience)
If I remember correctly, P is the class in which I was able to find ludicrously cheap tickets in the domestic US in the past, especially for short flights. Sometimes only 20-30% more $ than a Y fare, but double or triple the SP earn. But I only did this maybe 3-4 times and it was a year or two ago, so not sure if the deals are as good anymore (or maybe I lucked out those times, who knows).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
If I remember correctly, P is the class in which I was able to find ludicrously cheap tickets in the domestic US in the past, especially for short flights. Sometimes only 20-30% more $ than a Y fare, but double or triple the SP earn. But I only did this maybe 3-4 times and it was a year or two ago, so not sure if the deals are as good anymore (or maybe I lucked out those times, who knows).
Yep, as a US based NZ flyer UA P fares are my favourite SC run, especially combined with free SDC for *G. You can book a $160 LAX-LAS P fare and go LAX-SFO-ORD-IAH-EWR-DEN-LAS, and then do it all again on the return.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by samyoull
Yep, as a US based NZ flyer UA P fares are my favourite SC run, especially combined with free SDC for *G. You can book a $160 LAX-LAS P fare and go LAX-SFO-ORD-IAH-EWR-DEN-LAS, and then do it all again on the return.
ah interesting to hear that I'm not alone on that... but, er, I am not up on the acronyms. what's SC or SDC?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
ah interesting to hear that I'm not alone on that... but, er, I am not up on the acronyms. what's SC or SDC?
Ooops I meant Status Points, and UA's same day change feature (see this thread)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.