Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Bose Noise Cancelling headphones, bargain for NZ travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G

Hope this is appropriate to post .... I have no ties with the retailer or any retailer.

Just in case anyone is interested, Noel Leeming has Bose QC25’s on sale today at $275, which is a bargain and way the lowest I have ever seen.

It might be time to upgrade my older (but still perfect) QC15’s, they are great phones and perfect on aircraft, and a big step up from the NZ premium onboard headphones.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
A far better deal was the Sony WH1000XM2 down from $599 to $349 over the weekend. While I won't go as far as saying they run rings around the QC35II (pros and cons to both) they're superior to the QC25 and have Bluetooth. $20 on a Bluetooth transmitter for the IFE and you'll never have to deal with cables again.

Edit: they're still $349 until today
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I had one of these - amazing sound quality in my opinion compared to QC15/Q30 however the freedom from wires in an aircraft makes so much better experience
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Yes, the bluetooth option has some attraction, not being 'tethered' to your phones or seat/screen, although being wired has ever caused me any issues.

I do like Sony products generally but having had other (than Bose) brands of NC headphones in the past and always been disappointed so prefer to stick with Bose as a known quantity to me - might go for a QC25 upgrade of the 15's and look at getting a bluetooth adaptor.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Does the IFE's USB output audio or will it only work with a bluetooth transmitter connected to the headphone jack (and powered by the USB connection)? Could anyone recommend a bluetooth transmitter? I have one but it's a bit dodgy. Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckett66
Does the IFE's USB output audio or will it only work with a bluetooth transmitter connected to the headphone jack (and powered by the USB connection)? Could anyone recommend a bluetooth transmitter? I have one but it's a bit dodgy. Thanks.
The AirMod (specifically for Bose) seems to have pretty decent reviews:
Amazon Amazon
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:38 pm

I'm honestly not sure why anybody would spend money on a brand new pair of QC25's right now as an upgrade from the QC15's. They are ultimately a pretty minor upgrade these days. If you're then going to go and buy a Bluetooth adapter for the QC25's you should just spend the money on the Sony's and end up with a far better product.

I was always a Bose fan and they still have the best N/C technology. I do however have a pair of Sony WH1000XM2's now and while I don't rate them better than the QC35II's (there are a number of reviews online that do) it's safe to say that unlike previously when nobody else had N/C tech that even got close to Bose, Sony have now reached the point where there is very little in it, but that many of the features of the Sony headphones beat what Bose has on offer. In my side by side on a plane I think the QC35's are still slightly better N/C wise but I wouldn't go back to Bose with what they have on offer right now (that's not to say I won't when the QC45's come out!). The only downside of the Sony is if you do have big ears that the Bose ear cups are bigger so may be slightly more comfortable.

As for cabled vs Bluetooth, it's probably only once you've moved to Bluetooth that you realise how much better life really is.

As for Bluetooth transmitters there is no audio on the USB out (the USB standard doesn't actually do audio out - USB audio devices present themselves as such and the O/S to use this as an audio driver). My recommendation is the BTI-025 which supports TX/RX and has a battery inside. I finally got around to write a review online yesterday but don't like linking to my stuff on here but Google is your friend.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Thanks to you both.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by ottiehund
Hope this is appropriate to post .... I have no ties with the retailer or any retailer.

Just in case anyone is interested, Noel Leeming has Bose QC25’s on sale today at $275, which is a bargain and way the lowest I have ever seen.

It might be time to upgrade my older (but still perfect) QC15’s, they are great phones and perfect on aircraft, and a big step up from the NZ premium onboard headphones.
Thanks ottiehund for the heads up on the Bose headphones price. I’m also a Bose fan and will have a look into the ones you’ve mentioned.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
........ As for cabled vs Bluetooth, it's probably only once you've moved to Bluetooth that you realise how much better life really is.........
I must admit that is one thought that's in the back of my mind. My boss has QC35's and raves about them when I pull out my old 15's, but at close to double the price I am not sure they are worth that difference (to me) and I am sure I could resell the 25's on TM and recover my cost or close (even 15's are going for $175 currently) if I did subsequently decide to upgrade to the 35's (or as you say 45's one day!), or maybe, but unlikely the Sony's.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:09 pm

You can get QC35II's for around A$315 at present off eBay if you've got a trip to Aussie planned. A$468 on eBay less 20% promo at present less 15% GST if you're leaving Australia (assuming they are an Australian seller which they appear to be).

Australia has always been the cheapest place in the world to buy QC35's - they've always routinely been under $400 and obviously less if you can claim back the GST.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bose-QC3...r/162708742700
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks sbiddle - a prime example of the application of 'Murphy's Law' (as just back from Aust last weekend!) and probably not likely to be back until April.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
I have a pair of QC35’s which are great for the noise canceling, and a little better than average for sound quality . Thought rather expensive. I bought them a couple of years ago, when I was jetlagged and didn’t quite get the currency exchange right in my mind when transiting through lax and whipped on the Visa card .
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
You can get QC35II's for around A$315 at present off eBay if you've got a trip to Aussie planned. A$468 on eBay less 20% promo at present less 15% GST if you're leaving Australia (assuming they are an Australian seller which they appear to be).

Australia has always been the cheapest place in the world to buy QC35's - they've always routinely been under $400 and obviously less if you can claim back the GST.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bose-QC3...r/162708742700
10% GST in Oz still?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:15 am

Bose are discontinuing the QC25 and are selling off their remaining stock at a discount of around 40%.
In November/December they were selling them in the UK down from about £280 to about £160.
Beware there are many fakes on ebay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.