FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Trial wifi still active? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1891777-trial-wifi-still-active.html)

smanch Feb 1, 2018 6:42 pm

Trial wifi still active?

Hi all, is the trial wifi on NZ1/2, 5/6 still available to Elites, and does anyone know if it is also on NZ28/29 to/from IAH? In December it hugely saved us as we were meant to be on NZ6 which was cancelled, got moved to NZ2 but missed connecting flight and no replacements available til next day, so I booked a quick one-way on another airline while we were still airborne on NZ2. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again this coming week when I'm on NZ29 IAH-AKL.

thanks!

cavemanzk Feb 1, 2018 7:27 pm

The trail WiFi is currently only on selected 77Ws - it hasn't been fitted to any 77E or 789s yet, so IAH-AKL wont have it.

dadig Feb 1, 2018 7:55 pm

Was on ZK-OKQ and it was not enabled. sbiddle might have an explanation to this.

sbiddle Feb 1, 2018 10:34 pm

It wasn't automatically available to Elite's - it was selected pax on the flight. As already mentioned above It's only on 3x 77W aircraft not on the 789.

My understanding is the trial has been suspended for a couple of weeks now but there isn't anything more I'll say about that. 😀

samjnz Feb 1, 2018 11:18 pm

Yeah the hidden WiFi network was gone from my flight Monday (even though I could see from the outside it was one of the 773s that was equipped with the satellite hardware)

smanch Apr 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Hi all, is the hidden wifi network back up? Flying NZ6 tomorrow and wondering if we'll have access as it's mostly a daytime flight now.

sbiddle Apr 21, 2018 10:41 pm

It's been back for a while now. Some issues I raised resulted in the trial being suspended, but they have since been resolved.

OKB (777-200) also has WiFi now after it's recent re-paint and maintenance in Singapore.

smanch Apr 23, 2018 1:55 am

Working great over the Pacific, thanks! I hope this trial lasts awhile....

24left Jun 20, 2018 8:26 am

No wifi on recent NZ 7 and NZ 6 (both 777-300). Oddly, it still sows up as an offering on the IFE

sbiddle Jun 20, 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 29886438)
No wifi on recent NZ 7 and NZ 6 (both 777-300). Oddly, it still sows up as an offering on the IFE

There are only 3 X 77W aircraft with it fitted. You obviously didn't have one of these aircraft.

You can check your aircraft rego before you fly if you want to know, and the app will send a notification as well.

24left Jun 21, 2018 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 29887265)
There are only 3 X 77W aircraft with it fitted. You obviously didn't have one of these aircraft.

You can check your aircraft rego before you fly if you want to know, and the app will send a notification as well.

Thanks and no worries. I was happy to sleep, I was just posting that there was none. Interestingly, on one flight, the crew announcement provided instructions on how to use it and of course that made little sense.

It was also on a page on the IFE, which I suspect may not as easy to change, but who knows.

To be clear, I've been spoiled with the wifi since 2015 on BR and LH and TK. AC, my main carrier, is very slowly installing it on their wide bodies. It seems to be on their 777-200s and most of their 777-300s (both versions), but it will take a long time until it is up and running on their fleet of 788 and 789s, and eventually their sub-fleet of 330s.

The worst wifi experiences have been NH and EY.

Craig Whitmore Jul 7, 2018 4:46 am

On NZ2 at the moment. $25 for the entire journey.

Craig Whitmore Jul 7, 2018 4:52 am

Craig Whitmore Jul 7, 2018 5:12 am

The WiFi Access Point shows up publicly a few minutes after take off and instructions on use are included on the IFE.As the captive portal intercepts all traffic until you pay some SSL applications complained before I connected.

It seems everyone has access to the WiFi so not an Elite/Business Class/Select few feature .

sbiddle Jul 7, 2018 12:18 pm

Right now Air NZ probably have one of the best performing WiFi products out there.