Wiki Posts
Search

787 schedule changes/cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
787 schedule changes/cancellations

Does anyone know what the "two rencent events" were?

Air New Zealand makes schedule changes due to maintenance requirements

Last updated 7 minutes ago

Air New Zealand advises that it will be retiming some international flights and making a limited number of cancellations over coming weeks as a result of two recent events involving the Rolls-Royce engines on its Boeing 787-9 aircraft.

Rolls-Royce has advised that some of the Trent 1000 engines in the airline’s Boeing 787-9 fleet require maintenance sooner than previously indicated.

Rolls-Royce does not have any replacement engines available while this maintenance work is undertaken which means some schedule changes are unavoidable.

In addition to these changes, Air New Zealand is focused on securing replacement aircraft capacity.

Customers affected by these changes will be proactively contacted with new travel information. [...]

Source: https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/travel-alerts
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Air New Zealand Dreamliner engine problems cause cancellations - NZ Herald

Believe it was one to NRT and the other to EZE that had to turn back to AKL shortly after take-off. From what's been said, it looks like it will be going on for sometime. I am wondering what they mean by securing replacement aircraft capacity. I am flying to EZE just before Christmas. Fingers crossed there won't be disruption for long although wouldn't mind if they used a 772.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Air New Zealand Dreamliner engine problems cause cancellations - NZ Herald

Believe it was one to NRT and the other to EZE that had to turn back to AKL shortly after take-off. From what's been said, it looks like it will be going on for sometime. I am wondering what they mean by securing replacement aircraft capacity. I am flying to EZE just before Christmas. Fingers crossed there won't be disruption for long although wouldn't mind if they used a 772.
Are some of the 763's still parked up on ASP? could they short-term lease them back.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Looks like so far the only cancellations are on routes where there are viable options to reroute on other flights (including other airlines). Other impacted flights have delays, some significant which may cause issues with onward connections.

If NZ is still short of aircraft over the peak Christmas to mid January period, there won't be as many options for rerouting (because other flights are already full) and so there could be a lot of seriously inconvenienced passengers.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:41 am

There is one consistent victim on that list - NZ289, which I am due to fly in 10 days. This coincides with the school term finishing up so flights to China are choka (NZ289 has almost zero availablility that whole week)...

Hopefully this situation gets sorted out soon!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Shortage of planes

Are the old 747 all gone for ever ?
or could they bring one back to cover
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Was going to book NZ for PER-AKL mid Jan but wouldn't be overly ecstatic paying PE and receiving Y on VA 737 for the return as an alternative. Would be nice to check out the new lounge. I'm not expecting the issue to be resolved by then. Think I'll take the risk though.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by akl_cat
There is one consistent victim on that list - NZ289, which I am due to fly in 10 days. This coincides with the school term finishing up so flights to China are choka (NZ289 has almost zero availablility that whole week)...

Hopefully this situation gets sorted out soon!
Not surprising given NZ parks aircraft at PVG for half a day so they can afford to delay the outbound for hours without significantly delaying the return leg.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beano
Are the old 747 all gone for ever ?
or could they bring one back to cover
They're well and truly gone.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G
that would be the reason why i saw a number of 787s parked up in maintenance..

Is the situation likely to be resolved before Xmas?? leasing??
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:14 pm

Dreamliner grounding: What happened on Flight NZ99 - NZ Herald

The Herald is reporting 2 aircraft being grounded not 4 as some suggested and posted on another forum. If they have flown the 1 troubled engine from each aircraft to SIN for repairs, they can fit the other one to the other aircraft needing to ground just 1 aircraft without engine, right?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:29 pm

My impression from reading that herald article is all the Trent 1000 engines on the original high density 789 need replacement. They might be doing it two aircrafts at the time but will likely to stretch beyond the two birds directly involved. Not sure though. If that’s the case this is likely to go on through the summer peak season, bummer!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Dreamliner grounding: What happened on Flight NZ99 - NZ Herald

The Herald is reporting 2 aircraft being grounded not 4 as some suggested and posted on another forum. If they have flown the 1 troubled engine from each aircraft to SIN for repairs, they can fit the other one to the other aircraft needing to ground just 1 aircraft without engine, right?
ATW (probably a more reliable source than the Herald) is reporting 4 grounded.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:03 pm

UAL only just parked some 744 aeroplanes less than a month ago - I thought the US authorities specified some rectification work by a certain date (in 2017) which led to their retirement. Could these be used ?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
It's affected our flight from AKL>RAR in late March. The B789 has been preemptively replaced by an A320. The 3 of us had sale PE seats. We've been offered Y Works seats on the A320 and zero compensation. I could have saved >$200 each if I'd booked Y Works during the same sale but they compare what we paid for PE with what you'd pay currently for Y, which seems ludicrous to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.