Wiki Posts
Search

BP carry on baggage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
BP carry on baggage

I'm on my first Air NZ trips in a couple of days - YVR-AKL-SYD in BP. I have a small rollaboard and backpack that have traveled the world and that I've never checked. Could one of your frequent Air NZ flyers tell me whether carrying on these two would present any problem? Thanks....

Last edited by lb8001; Oct 5, 2017 at 11:30 am Reason: correcting airport code
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
No, you will fine. I carry much the same. Sometimes you might need to arrange in bins with your seat neighbour, but generally always plenty of space.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
J gets two carry on bags up to 14kgs combined weight, with an max of 10kg for an single item.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you both - just what I needed
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
J gets two carry on bags up to 14kgs combined weight, with an max of 10kg for an single item.
I have never had my carryons questioned in BP. Have come on board with a rather full rollaboard, a heavy backpack, duty free AND a small bag with my change of clothes! (yeah I am THAT passenger!!!)

Youll be fine!
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Excellent - thanks

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I have never had my carryons questioned in BP. Have come on board with a rather full rollaboard, a heavy backpack, duty free AND a small bag with my change of clothes! (yeah I am THAT passenger!!!)

Youll be fine!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some airports (this includes AKL) weigh carry on bags. Anyone with a carry on bag that is too heavy is forced to return to check in desks.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: NZ *G
That's not my experience. Most recently, i flew TT this morning and had a heavy looking carry on. No one asked to weigh it. Maybe it's a random thing?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by gratn
That's not my experience. Most recently, i flew TT this morning and had a heavy looking carry on. No one asked to weigh it. Maybe it's a random thing?
i have NEVER had my carry on weighed since I have been GE.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Markhm
i have NEVER had my carry on weighed since I have been GE.
i don’t think I’ve ever had my carry on weighed on AirNZ regardless of status - i think I’ve seen them weighing someone’s bags once, but they looked to be bringing everything (including the kitchen sink) on board, so it wasn’t surprising.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Never had carry on weighed on Air NZ and only once on Singapore (heavy laptop bag, but they saw I was *G and were ok about it).
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Carry on is often checked at AKL before screening. It's never checked if you use the premium lift.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I've been Elite quite a few years and I've never had my carry-on weighed, including at check-in at a desk. Came close once at a gate, saw her looking at my bag, was heading straight for me. I flicked the Elite tags to the front and she did a 90 degree turn and headed to someone else.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I have been checked about 3 times in 10 years. just a standard rollablard, and not obviously heavy or bulky - just unlucky I suppose. No issues arose as I have been *G or in J.

I asked once under whose authority they were stopping random passengers, since this is not an airline 'at the gate' thing, but a random stop. The response was vague - "I work for Auckland Airport."

I do think that given differing airline allowances between airlines, status, and class of travel, that it would be interesting to 'test' the authority/basis of these checks.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I had something similar once, with an extra search just after getting through security. I asked what happened if I said no and was told the airport would tell the airline, and the airline would likely decline to carry me. Somehow that equals consent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.