Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Gold Star Alliance - expedited security lines at Auckland airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Star Alliance - expedited security lines at Auckland airport?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by curioustill
Once I saw them selling a pack of Tim Tams on special for NZD$5. The deal was '8.99 each or 4 for $20'
They are probably even cheaper than that at your local dairy, aren't they around $2 at the supper market.

Its cringe to see the prices they are selling NZ products for at duty free, e.g. $4 suppermarket chocolate blocks for $9.

https://www.theloopdutyfree.co.nz/p/...chocolate-300g is $12

AKL duty free is definitely not vaule for money, and most frequent travels would know to avoid it.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
They are probably even cheaper than that at your local dairy, aren't they around $2 at the supper market.

Its cringe to see the prices they are selling NZ products for at duty free, e.g. $4 suppermarket chocolate blocks for $9.

https://www.theloopdutyfree.co.nz/p/...chocolate-300g is $12

AKL duty free is definitely not vaule for money, and most frequent travels would know to avoid it.
I was surprised at the prices when I went through the other day. Needless to say, didn't buy a thing. The AKL duty free prices seemed to be on par with prices with duty and gst in Sydney...

And btw, it's a "supermarket", as in a ginormous market. It's not a place where you shop for supper...
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by sol95
I was surprised at the prices when I went through the other day. Needless to say, didn't buy a thing. The AKL duty free prices seemed to be on par with prices with duty and gst in Sydney...

And btw, it's a "supermarket", as in a ginormous market. It's not a place where you shop for supper...
Yea, all we need now is for Wilson's Parking to take over Auckland Airport's parking and we will have the whole package
Beano likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I don't think Duty Free is a good deal anywhere to be honest. When I can walk into Brisbane Duty Free and see a bottle of alcohol for $71 which doesn't include GST or duty, then pull out my phone and see the same bottle for $68 including duty and GST at Dan Murphy's, I know it's not worth even looking at anything else.

They do occasionally have Duty Free exclusives though.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Duty free in general is a rip off these days. Prices of champagne is often more expensive than supermarkets every day pricing, and the price of some whisky is often the same or even more expensive than simply buying retail.

As for snacks and chocolate it's just a complete rip off. Duty free stores in Australia are chokka full of bulk packs of Tim Tams that are 3-4x the price of buying them in a store.

The only way you'll really get a good deal these days is online if they offer discounts. It's not uncommon to see 20% off because the stores don't need to pay this to the airports for products sold online. In recent months however JR in Wellington have seriously limited the products available online so while you can save 20% it's now on a pretty limited range of products.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by curioustill
Once I saw them selling a pack of Tim Tams on special for NZD$5. The deal was '8.99 each or 4 for $20'
I usually pick up my top shelf (or better) bourbons from local or boutique liquor stores on my travels in the USA, travelling to Tennessee regularly affords me the luxury of a scrounge. Unlikely to find these Duty Free anywhere . . .
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Think has changed

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
With the opening of the new exit immigration area, priority immigration now leads directly to a dedicated priority security line.
In a massive security line as I write this
It's moving quite fast but stretches back to the passport control

There was a gaggle of Auckland airport and immigration and AVSEC officials and they said they are no longer providing an expedited security line only passport

If correct that's a real shame. Kind of pointless to have it at all for passports that can use the smart gates
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
In a massive security line as I write this
It's moving quite fast but stretches back to the passport control

There was a gaggle of Auckland airport and immigration and AVSEC officials and they said they are no longer providing an expedited security line only passport

If correct that's a real shame. Kind of pointless to have it at all for passports that can use the smart gates
Post #23 in this thread has a picture of the express lane I used just ~ 2 weeks ago! Would be weird to shut down express security. Mind you, previous security wasn't really a dedicated express lane but the NZ lift delivered you to the front of the general queue. I didn't like having to "merge", it felt more like people just pushing in.

If the general line is moving swiftly which it has when I've been through then I don't mind not having an express lane. But if I were to be stuck in a massive queue then I'd be wishing hard for the express lane.

I don't envy you flying during the school holidays.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:40 pm

A bit of active management at the front of each queue would also speed things up. If there is a kettle at the front holding everyone else up as he digs through his pockets for his phone, or loose change, or slowly rummaging round in his suitcase for his liquids bag - wave the people behind him who are prepared for security through.

Frankly if I had my way if you are not Ready For Security within 20 seconds of arriving at the x-ray machine you should be sent to the back of the line. Goodness knows you've had enough time to throw your phone/loose change/whatever else is in your pockets into your bag while you are standing in line waiting to get to the front. Not saying you have to try to get your laptop out and balance it with your liquids bag while you are shuffling in line (though props if you do), but a bit of thinking ahead would speed things up for everybody no end.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: NZ *G
I went through on Saturday and there was an expedited line, but it was poorly signposted. It was to the right of the usual lines.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:58 am

So are Gold/Elite/Koru/BP customers allowed to use the "invitation only" queue to the right?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:19 am

Maybe we just need better x-ray machines like the US.. nothing gets removed from bags over there.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Maybe we just need better x-ray machines like the US.. nothing gets removed from bags over there.
Times have changed, unless you're TSA PreCheck, that is. Last time I flew out of PHX (my home airport now) the TSA agent asked me to remove my paperbacks from my backpack!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull
Times have changed, unless you're TSA PreCheck, that is. Last time I flew out of PHX (my home airport now) the TSA agent asked me to remove my paperbacks from my backpack!
At LAX it seems to vary. I flew through TBIT twice in July and didn't have to remove shoes, belts, LAGS or electronics on either occasion.

I do know that policy there does seem to vary depending on the day of the week. It seems they randomly enforce tougher restrictions on some days.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:41 pm

What a disgrace that we have to compare NZ to US. The US is about 50 years behind us in terms of infrastructure and technology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.