Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transfer via Houston

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:48 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes IAH is connected airside so can use the UA clubs. However the pics in your link show the contract lounge in D is better (assuming that is the one NZ uses)
There's more natural light in the UA lounges, though they are further from the NZ gates in D. THe UA lounges have improved recently.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mad_atta
But unfortunately you can't use the Star Alliance lounge at LAX if flying internationally on UA... it's in the wrong terminal.
You can clear security of any LAX terminal with a same day boarding pass departing LAX (flight does not need to operate from that terminal). This was introduced a year or two ago.

Of course need to allow time to change terminals and reclear security, so only useful for long transits.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Depending on the terminal combos needed you can get from most of the terminals airside in each wing either side of TBI - so long as you're willing to find the tunnels between them and not meet any of the terminal employees who think they're for their exclusive use. I've been told TBI will be connected to the system when they're done with the renov (which maybe means never?)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
bump- recent IAH experiences

Just wanted an update on transfer through IAH

AKL- IAH - LGA. Travelling with a bit of luggage and a 2 year old. Flying J so will be quick off the plane.

Decided to change my connection from 2hr to 3 hrs, didn't want the stress with the toddler but perhaps it will be fine and regretting the decision!?

After clearing customs, is it true that you can go turn right load your bags and take the air-side train?

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Just wanted an update on transfer through IAH

AKL- IAH - LGA. Travelling with a bit of luggage and a 2 year old. Flying J so will be quick off the plane.

Decided to change my connection from 2hr to 3 hrs, didn't want the stress with the toddler but perhaps it will be fine and regretting the decision!?

After clearing customs, is it true that you can go turn right load your bags and take the air-side train?

Thanks
Yes that's right - clear immigration, drop your bags at a transfer desk, back through a dedicated transit security line and you're back airside. Although we were doing a domestic united connection, depending on who your connecting airline is the bag drop may be different.

When we transited we comfortably made a 1 hr 40 min connection, thanks to no immigration queues but there's nothing wrong with more time up your sleeve especially with a young one.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The times I've been there it's been under 20 mins from plane to waiting for a shuttle.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That is absolutely the correct decision. IAH immigration can be extremely crowded depending on your arrival time. 2 hours is the minimum I would ever recommend for a non-Global Entry pax with checked bags. 3 is much wiser.

Originally Posted by West45
back through a dedicated transit security line and you're back airside
Transit security can get quite backed up. The better move is to bear left after dropping bags, exit to the arrivals area (not transit security), then take the elevator or escalator up to the E Terminal departures area. Much shorter lines.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Given the mid-day arrival time of the NZ flight the lines for both immigration and customs should be more than manageable. the flights from Europe begin arriving an hour or so after the NZ flight and i would say a 2 hour connection should be stress free assuming your flight from AKL is on time.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AIRNZ *GE, Qantas, Krisflyer
Just wondering what peoples recent experience of transferring from AKL-IAH flight to domestic United flight have been.
We have a 1hr 55m between arrival and departure to Orlando in a few weeks our plane arrives in IAH at 12.40pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: NZ*G
In my experience is pretty quick and nothing like LAX. Transfer of baggage, security and connection of other terminals is easy.

It seems like the fingerprint readers in IAH don’t like my fingerprints unlike in LAX. However I haven’t had to wait more than a couple minutes.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by skigirl
In my experience is pretty quick and nothing like LAX. Transfer of baggage, security and connection of other terminals is easy.

It seems like the fingerprint readers in IAH don’t like my fingerprints unlike in LAX. However I haven’t had to wait more than a couple minutes.
Thanks thats good news, mind you nothing could be worse than LAX last 2 times through there have been waits to get through customs/border security of in excess of 2.5 hours, hence why we chose IAH for this trip.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by iluvflying
Thanks thats good news, mind you nothing could be worse than LAX last 2 times through there have been waits to get through customs/border security of in excess of 2.5 hours, hence why we chose IAH for this trip.
I have had great transit experiences through IAH - my preferred route to the east coast. This included just after hurricane Harvey clearing in 40 mins (mainly running) and making the UA connection out. I really like the separate transit security screening line - its always been pretty empty. The other benefit of IAH is that there is around 6-8 flights to orlando a day unlike from the west coast so if you do miss the flight, its not a major.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:02 pm

I have had great transit experiences through IAH - my preferred route to the east coast. This included just after hurricane Harvey clearing in 40 mins (mainly running) and making the UA connection out. I really like the separate transit security screening line - its always been pretty empty. The other benefit of IAH is that there is around 6-8 flights to orlando a day unlike from the west coast so if you do miss the flight, its not a major.
That sounds great, Is there any issue if we buy Duty Free booze in Auckland on way out will we have any issue taking through transit security in carry-on??

Thanks
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
That sounds great, Is there any issue if we buy Duty Free booze in Auckland on way out will we have any issue taking through transit security in carry-on??

Thanks
If the bottles are in a 'secure, tamper evident bag' then you should be able to carry it through a TSA checkpoint: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Thanks
Duty free will know how to seal the bag for US connections. If for any reason, things go wrong, insert the duty free into your checked luggage after picking it up and before dropping it for your connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.