Wiki Posts
Search

Historical question re: koru life

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Historical question re: koru life

I know it hasn't been available for some time but I can't get the burning question out of my head - how much was it???

I wish it was still available.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Do they still exist? I'm surprised that Air NZ would allow this to continue for existing members without retiring it?

Considering the current eye watering $580pa cost (can be cheaper with credit cards) - it is still an amount to pay. Nevertheless there will be people happy to pay for that including myself for the convenience of lounge access given Gold tier is that much harder to achieve now
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
Do they still exist? I'm surprised that Air NZ would allow this to continue for existing members without retiring it?

Considering the current eye watering $580pa cost (can be cheaper with credit cards) - it is still an amount to pay. Nevertheless there will be people happy to pay for that including myself for the convenience of lounge access given Gold tier is that much harder to achieve now
I can't remember what years it was offered, probably more than 10 yrs ago?? But regardless of changes I'd assume air nz would still have to honour what they were advertising at the time? That life means life?

It would have been a tough calculation at the time I'm sure but the price must have been right for some people to buy it. And as you say with things the way they are now - retrospectively it might have been a bargain!

Maybe they could do a promo deal for koru life for a week as part of their 75th birthday commemorations??
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:21 pm

I really doubt that - Air NZ isn't the same company it used to be 10 years ago. Even with working conditions. Understandable perspective as duty to stakeholders to be profitable but at the expense of everything else.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I know it hasn't been available for some time but I can't get the burning question out of my head - how much was it???

I wish it was still available.
Apparently it was around the $3,500 mark when it was discontinued in 2003.

A new annual membership cost $375, raised to $495 in 2003, not sure what the cost of renewing a membership was, but I'd guesstimate it was the equivalent of about 12-15years worth of annual fees.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, Koru Life, QF Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Le Club Accor Plat, Carlson Gold
It cost me $3700.00 in 2001 and I haven't needed the membership for the last 8 years!! Not sure if it has been good value or not - well maybe it has as I have never been denied an RU upgrade.

As a Koru Life member I received a black leather travel document wallet embossed with Air New Zealand and its Koru Logo - it was so nice that I still use it today on all of my international trips
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: NZ (LT Koru); QF (WP & LTG); FJ (Tabua)
Best commercial decision in my life

As a lowly academic at an offshore university I was never going to get paid J flights or lounge access, yet I knew I would be doing quite a bit of travel. So about 15 years ago, when I had the chance to earn some extra income through a consultancy, I splashed it all on lifetime membership of Koru Club, and Qantas Club. I have made such good use of these memberships (over 660 visits combined so far) that I regard them as among the best investments I ever made....and the thought that this might also be causing some discomfort for airline bean counters is not allowed to be entertained!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Its totally worth it still if you make a couple of Tasman trips an year, at the $410 CC Rate.

Typically year for me I work it out across x amount of flights and its pretty good value for the ease of travel.

Typical year would be, 3x AKL-AUS-AKL Seat Only and 2x AKL-AUS-AKL Seat+Bag. Plus an bunch of random domestics.

For 13 oneway sectors works out at an cost of $31/flight.

By eating in the lounge, the 6x seat only fares save $300. Then the 4x seat+bag flights save an futher $100 on not purchasing the works. On those 4x Seat+Bag flights I'll typically take an extra bag, so that $220 (if pre-paid, it not $480).

That saves me around $620, so instantly I've made back my $410 yearly fee and gained an extra $210 value from it.

Then you have the other small saving that add up.
- Exit Row or Prefered Seating x13 = $260
- Airport Coffee (4.50) x13 = 58.50
- Food and Drink at Airport (20) x13 =$260
That's around 578.50

Total value from Tasman trips $1190, not bad when I paid $410 a year. Basically fully cover the cost and saved at least another $780
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Interlude
As a lowly academic at an offshore university I was never going to get paid J flights or lounge access, yet I knew I would be doing quite a bit of travel. So about 15 years ago, when I had the chance to earn some extra income through a consultancy, I splashed it all on lifetime membership of Koru Club, and Qantas Club. I have made such good use of these memberships (over 660 visits combined so far) that I regard them as among the best investments I ever made....and the thought that this might also be causing some discomfort for airline bean counters is not allowed to be entertained!
I was a juvenile back then to realise and take advantage, but I did end up achieving qualifications to comfortably afford J and lounge access today
Old May 2, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.

DH and I are lifetime Koru Club members, and have been for about 20 years - so at least two of us still exist. I can't remember what it cost back then, but it was a large amount when compared with other Koru Club subscriptions.

I certainly expect Air NZ to honour the undertakings made when we paid this subscription.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Wow, I had a figure of around $10,000 in my head (plucked from thin air). $3,700 is an utter bargain!

That's great you guys had the foresight to purchase koru life.
Old May 2, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I know someone who purchased one some years ago for the $1000 mark
Old May 2, 2015, 7:52 pm

do any other Airlines out there offering life membership today?
Old May 2, 2015, 10:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
do any other Airlines out there offering life membership today?
Yes, and several FFPs offer lifetime elite status also.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: NZ*Elite, QF Platinum, Koru Life, IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Cost me $3k even in 1998.. Stressful times when Ansett failed shortly thereafter. Partner cards back then were $1500 - bargin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.