FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Successful/unsuccessful oneup bids (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1369120-successful-unsuccessful-oneup-bids.html)

Dilmah Sep 30, 2012 5:32 am

Not a risk-taker. Ditched the OneUp bids and upgraded all tickets to Business. Now I can relax lol.

Saxphile Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm

Successful OneUp for AKL-HKG from H to PE. $275 pp plus 30% NZ*G bonus. Considering that a standby would have been $220 I thought we did pretty well.

Having said that, PE was nearly completely empty on this flight with 7+ in all PE classes.

mmonster Sep 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Saxphile (Post 19412967)
Successful OneUp for AKL-HKG from H to PE. $275 pp plus 30% NZ*G bonus. Considering that a standby would have been $220 I thought we did pretty well.

Having said that, PE was nearly completely empty on this flight with 7+ in all PE classes.

thanks Saxphile

Can you please tell us if that flight is going to LHR? there is a big difference in booking patterns I assume =P

Janec Sep 30, 2012 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dilmah (Post 19410519)
Not a risk-taker. Ditched the OneUp bids and upgraded all tickets to Business. Now I can relax lol.

Great! I think you will find that the flight will be full or near to it on the day in the premium cabins, and as a non status passenger you would have struggled to get 4 upgrades together.

Enjoy and let us know how you went in Business, by the way, if you dont mind me asking, did you call Air NZ direct and ask for the upgrades and did they offer a fair deal in relation to the oneup price you were originally going to put in?

At least this way, as you say you can now relax :) ^

Mapnz Oct 1, 2012 12:17 am

upgrade

Originally Posted by Saxphile (Post 19412967)

That's a good price that being said what did the indicator say ..weak medium
..strong ?
Does the dial change if there are lots of spare seats ? Or is it a fixed dial ?

Gasfoodlodging Oct 1, 2012 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging (Post 19347692)
Thanks a bunch Trumpkin & KiwiHighFlyer.

Clarified two important queries I had regarding changing OneUp bids, and the number of seats available/ fare class nuances.

I think I have convinced the better half to modify the bid (she was suckered by the AirNZ low/ average/ high rating at first go)...will prob halve to around 400-500APD, and yes, will check with 7 days out, to see if things are getting more packed in PE so as to modify again, if required.

Will advise on whether or not it worked ( :

UPDATE
So, bid was changed to 550APD about a week ago...I thought it was still a good bid.

Just had notification that the bid was unsuccessful (3 or 4 days out). I am surprised, as I thought 550 to go from Economy to Premium Economy on a 772 is fair...however as others have pointed out...who knows what is going on with the AirNZ team and how they distribute :confused:

Strangely enough, my info shows: U/7 E/7 O/7 A/7 (C/4 D/4 Z/4 J/2)

Perhaps there are a few RUs sitting in there? Or they didn't think much of the bid being dropped?

No great loss.

stephen2d Oct 4, 2012 6:51 pm

Ran out of "recognition upgrades", so just rang to ask about oneup on AKL - LAX (online system down), and asked "what's the going rate" before I put my bid. Apparently it sits at $760 whatever that means. So (I'm missing about 30SP to return to *G), does that mean I have to bid 760, is any offer lower than that amount going to be rejected, do i still get a push of 10 or 15% as *S??? So many questions!

Janec Oct 4, 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by stephen2d (Post 19439808)
Ran out of "recognition upgrades", so just rang to ask about oneup on AKL - LAX (online system down), and asked "what's the going rate" before I put my bid. Apparently it sits at $760 whatever that means. So (I'm missing about 30SP to return to *G), does that mean I have to bid 760, is any offer lower than that amount going to be rejected, do i still get a push of 10 or 15% as *S??? So many questions!

I would email the Air NZ Fairy and see if she will give you gold as your only 30 short, worth a try?
Silver gets 10% uplift, so if you bid $760 you will get + 76.00

People have won the upgrade for less, depends how busy the flight is, thats a popular route, so to be confident on getting it, put your best in, good luck ^

ajnz Oct 4, 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by stephen2d (Post 19439808)

More context please.

From what class?

How as $760 articulated? As an "average bid", "what's needed to be considered", ...?

Rebound Oct 4, 2012 7:32 pm

$160 - SYD-AKL
Accepted 5 days out.

stephen2d Oct 4, 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz (Post 19439923)
More context please.

From what class?

How as $760 articulated? As an "average bid", "what's needed to be considered", ...?

From PE to BP. I just asked what's the going rate and got the "it sits at 760 currently". I'll try the fairy, too.

Mapnz Oct 5, 2012 1:13 am

Upgrade ..one up bid

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 19439953)
$160 - SYD-AKL
Accepted 5 days out.

Is the $160 the "grossed up number"?

Rebound Oct 5, 2012 3:08 am

I bid $160 as a GE, I also bid AKL-SYD that departs on the 9th however that hasn't cleared.

Both flights had 9+ Business Seats available a week ago

Rebound Oct 5, 2012 3:43 pm

AKL-SYD was not successful with the same bid, also 9+ Seats available.

nzlilibet Oct 5, 2012 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mapnz (Post 19414616)
That's a good price that being said what did the indicator say ..weak medium
..strong ?
Does the dial change if there are lots of spare seats ? Or is it a fixed dial ?

I'd also like the answer to this question. Am watching an upcoming BNE/AKL flight with more than 9 Business Premier seats available, but can't see any change to the dial as time goes on.

Can I also suggest that someone posts somewhere what the AP$ cost of upgrades on various sectors was under the previous system. I get the impression that some people are bidding far more than they should which will tip the One-Up system in NZ's favour - their intention obviously.

I know, for example, that the AP$ needed for Economy to Business on the Easter OZ and South Pacific routes used to be 250. I would never bid above this and would tend to bid well below. Mind you, this could be doomed to failure.

NHM Oct 6, 2012 4:01 am

theres not a way to use APD to upgrade from Economy to Business going to North America right?

I'd need to either buy PE and OneUp or settle for OneUp fron Economy to PE, which seems like its not worth it on a 772 to SFO

Mapnz Oct 6, 2012 4:37 am

upgrade

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 19445108)
AKL-SYD was not successful with the same bid, also 9+ Seats available.

Would it be possible for you to peek in there
I like to know if the class is full
I would be concerned if there are empty seats and your bid as unsuccessful

flykiwifly Oct 6, 2012 4:44 am

2 weeks ago a friend was returning to LHR via HKG. Booked in PE and bid £300 per sector - both legs were classified as a "weak bid" Successful on both sectors - no AirNZ status but 1K on United

Mapnz Oct 6, 2012 4:58 am

upgrade

Originally Posted by flykiwifly (Post 19447427)
2 weeks ago a friend was returning to LHR via HKG. Booked in PE and bid £300 per sector - both legs were classified as a "weak bid" Successful on both sectors - no AirNZ status but 1K on United

Maybe the dial is not actually linked to the actual seats available and bids already on the system (including potential recognition upgrades)

serfty Oct 6, 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by NHM (Post 19447331)
theres not a way to use APD to upgrade from Economy to Business going to North America right?

I'd need to either buy PE and OneUp or settle for OneUp fron Economy to PE, which seems like its not worth it on a 772 to SFO

Correct -APD is a one class upgrade only.

2 RU can be used for a 2 class upgrade.

mad_atta Oct 6, 2012 10:06 am

How are you supposed to know APD amounts?

I recently took the plunge and bid for oneups on HKG-LHR and AKL-SYD. Although I chose to use airbucks rather than cash, for the first upgrade the bid showed in HKD and for the second in USD (it's part of a longer itinerary originating in the US). I assumed that at some point I would get to see what the airbucks equivalent amounts were, but no - not even on the email confirmation of my bid being placed. I also note the airbucks have not been debited from my account, despite the bids being made weeks ago.

This seems a bit strange, and that it would be easy to inadvertently end up 'overdrawn'. Plus I'm sure most people don't bother trying to do a currency conversion to figure out approx airbucks, like I did.

Will the airbucks amounts and debits only show up in my account if/when the bid is actually successful then?

West45 Oct 6, 2012 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 19448488)

This seems a bit strange, and that it would be easy to inadvertently end up 'overdrawn'. Plus I'm sure most people don't bother trying to do a currency conversion to figure out approx airbucks, like I did.

Will the airbucks amounts and debits only show up in my account if/when the bid is actually successful then?

I'm pretty sure the T&Cs state that whatever way you pay for them you have to ensure there is enough in that account to pay for it, so if you don't have enough airpoints and you're successful the upgrade won't go through.

vladleo Oct 7, 2012 6:19 am

Don't forget that as Elite your OneUp is counted 1.5 times the value....

wayoutwest Oct 7, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by vladleo (Post 19451670)

Welcome Air New Zealand good to see some one is watching, maybe now you will be able to respond to peoples questions just like used to happen.:p

mad_atta Oct 7, 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by West45 (Post 19449921)
I'm pretty sure the T&Cs state that whatever way you pay for them you have to ensure there is enough in that account to pay for it, so if you don't have enough airpoints and you're successful the upgrade won't go through.

That's true, but should I have to be guessing what the APD amounts are? Surely, if I click the button that says I want to use Airpoints Dollars rather than cash, the system should tell me what that equates to? I shouldn't be having to figure out currency conversions from HKD in order to use their stupid stupid system.

mad_atta Oct 7, 2012 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by vladleo (Post 19451670)

Actually mine ony gets boosted by 10% since I am but a lowly silver :(

123dd Oct 7, 2012 11:48 pm

AKL-SYD NZ*G bid $130 failed... That's $169 after gold uplift...
Sabre shows
C4 D4 Z4 J4 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 V7 W0 T0 L0 S0 G0 X0 K0 P0

So it could be true that low bids are not accepted, and it does not matter how full the flight is.... which makes me wonder why it allows these bid at first place...

Bid $150 for the return flight, which equates to $195 after my Gold uplift.

Rebound Oct 8, 2012 1:08 am

It's definitely true, over half the Business seats are unoccupied for my flight tomorrow and my bid was rejected.

DCF Oct 8, 2012 2:59 am

Originally Posted by NHM (Post 19447331)

If you book far enough in advance it is well worth buying Premium Economy anyway: from Australia it is $2800 as opposed to $1700 for Economy.

777-300ER Premium Economy is a really good product anyway, and as a Gold Elite you can confirm a Standby Upgrade into Business Premier at the time of payment so long as R inventory remains. You just might need to be flexible about whether you fly into LAX or SFO.

stephen2d Oct 8, 2012 4:40 pm

Access to OneUp website for me is still down. How annoying! I didi let them know last week, but still the same issue.

strtrek Oct 10, 2012 10:39 pm

successful one up bid

5 days out
$410 pp
PE to Business
LAX-AKL

great trip, worth every cent :)

nzlilibet Oct 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by strtrek (Post 19475129)
5 days out
$410 pp
PE to Business
LAX-AKL

great trip, worth every cent :)

Just for the record - was this $US or $NZ?

strtrek Oct 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet (Post 19475192)
Just for the record - was this $US or $NZ?

$AU

Trumpkin Oct 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Not accepted, $130 GE bid for AKL to SYD on 763 economy to business.

Current availability is C/4 D/3 Z/0 J/0 with Expertflyer should 10 unallocated seats.

I suspect my bid was below the minimum they would accept.

Xiaotung Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpkin (Post 19516056)

Current availability is C/4 D/3 Z/0 J/0 with Expertflyer should 10 unallocated seats.

I am GE and have been accepted for AU$80 once on this route.

West45 Oct 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpkin (Post 19516056)

Is that for this Friday? If so, there are 10 seats spare on the seat map currently

robbau Oct 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung (Post 19516074)
I am GE and have been accepted for AU$80 once on this route.

How full was the cabin for that flight?

Trumpkin Oct 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by West45 (Post 19516103)
Is that for this Friday? If so, there are 10 seats spare on the seat map currently

Sunday morning - 21st October.

The OneUp bid was declined exactly at the 3 days out point to the minute.

Xiaotung Oct 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by robbau (Post 19516124)
How full was the cabin for that flight?

I never checked in advance but the C cabin was full when I was on board.

123dd Oct 17, 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by 123dd (Post 19455605)
AKL-SYD NZ*G bid $130 failed... That's $169 after gold uplift...
Sabre shows
C4 D4 Z4 J4 Y7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 V7 W0 T0 L0 S0 G0 X0 K0 P0

So it could be true that low bids are not accepted, and it does not matter how full the flight is.... which makes me wonder why it allows these bid at first place...

Bid $150 for the return flight, which equates to $195 after my Gold uplift.

The loading in business class was 7/36....

Bid for return flight also failed...

Wonder if this justifies a commerce commission complaint? AirNZ mislead us to think that we can buy cheap business class tickets on routes with low demands using the mechanism of oneup, it mislead us to think seat availability and bidding competition were the only criteria, so we choose them over other competitors?