FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   SFO-AKL : New Biz Seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1263272-sfo-akl-new-biz-seats.html)

kaushik123 Sep 26, 11 10:47 am

SFO-AKL : New Biz Seats?
 
Hello,

I need to fly to AKL from SFO and I have a 2 part question related to this :

1) Do the 747's that fly this route have the new lie flat J seats ?

2) Is it better (hard product wise) to fly on the new 77W's from LAX instead?

ajnz Sep 26, 11 12:08 pm


Originally Posted by kaushik123 (Post 17174857)
1) Do the 747's that fly this route have the new lie flat J seats ?

They have the same lie-flat J seats that were installed in the aircraft in 2006.

Originally Posted by kaushik123 (Post 17174857)
2) Is it better (hard product wise) to fly on the new 77W's from LAX instead?

Unless you specifically have time to burn, I wouldn't subject myself to a LAX transit just to fly on the 773, even though the "version 2" J seats are indeed better than "version 1".

Rotodavid123 Sep 26, 11 1:10 pm

New 773 J seats are certainly better than the previous version.

fly747first Sep 27, 11 9:48 pm


Originally Posted by Rotodavid123 (Post 17175804)
New 773 J seats are certainly better than the previous version.

Yes, especially when the version 1 J seats are in terrible shape on some aircraft.

Rebound Sep 27, 11 10:49 pm

IFE is also far superior

kamchatsky Sep 28, 11 12:32 am

I have J award on NZ002 AKL-LAX at December, so based on comments above, it has the "new" Business Premier? Also are they that much better than the 747s? I have never flown NZ BP before, only C on 767s.

Rebound Sep 28, 11 1:14 am

Imo the new BP product kills the older product on the 747/772 - its still a good product but in comparsion the 773 is far superior from all aspects.

kamchatsky Sep 28, 11 1:26 am


Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 17185323)
Imo the new BP product kills the older product on the 747/772 - its still a good product but in comparsion the 773 is far superior from all aspects.

Excellent. I guess it sorts of justifies that I have a 6:15 hour transit from SYD to LAX then. Not that I have a choice anyway, as it is J award from BD. Now I have to figure out how to kill those hours.

RandyNZ Sep 28, 11 2:43 am

Granted, the seat and IFE on the 773 is much better, but I must admit that I miss the cozy feeling of the nose section on the 747!

oranjemakker Sep 29, 11 8:32 pm


Originally Posted by fly747first (Post 17184641)
Yes, especially when the version 1 J seats are in terrible shape on some aircraft.

My last J flight the IFE screen was basically hanging loose. it did not stay in place and then stopped working completely. Flight was full so couldn't move. I had some movies on my laptop so it was fine (and it was a points upgrade so did not make a fuss) but if I had paid full fare I would be annoyed. Its didn't seem like a random glitch, more like poor maintenance as it was clearly not a new problem.

MrSydney Sep 29, 11 10:59 pm


Originally Posted by edison (Post 17185357)
Excellent. I guess it sorts of justifies that I have a 6:15 hour transit from SYD to LAX then. Not that I have a choice anyway, as it is J award from BD. Now I have to figure out how to kill those hours.


I transit AKL all the time and it can be an effort to keep occupied for that duration. Why not go for a stroll and check out the Domestic Koru Lounge. It really isn't worth bothering going into downtown Auckland.

The 773 is so much nicer than the 772. Personally, I prefer the mini J cabin.

What date you flying?

rankourabu Sep 29, 11 11:02 pm

I flew both this past summer YVR-AKL-LAX - the 773 wins in all aspects.

Excellent flights with NZ.

goliath Sep 30, 11 4:46 am


Originally Posted by edison (Post 17185218)
I have J award on NZ002 AKL-LAX at December, so based on comments above, it has the "new" Business Premier?

There are 772s, 773s and 747s on the LAX-AKL-LAX route, NZ2 is usually operated by a 773 (looking at December this year, at least).

If your flight is operated by a 773, then you have the new seats, if it would be a 772 or a 747 then you would have the "old" seat - which still is a great seat.

I haven't tried the new C yet, but am looking forward to do so in December. ^

flykiwifly Sep 30, 11 11:16 am

Does anyone know if the 772 or the 747 have the new mattress in business class yet?

FlyingFilmGuy Sep 30, 11 11:46 am


Originally Posted by flykiwifly (Post 17198936)
Does anyone know if the 772 or the 747 have the new mattress in business class yet?

My understanding is they are still the old seats, and as far as I can tell there's no plan by ANZ to retrofit the older fleet with the new seats.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:20 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.