FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   under cooked food, shocking......! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1248757-under-cooked-food-shocking.html)

QTFLYER Aug 17, 2011 1:07 pm

under cooked food, shocking......!

Ok, I love food in the sky, I think most of it tastes ok these days however over the past year or so I have had an issue a couple of times with air nz.

Breakfast J class ex.akl.

this week I flew tt on the 773 (first time on 773; not bad) and the bloody breakfast sausages (served with the creamy chive scrambled egg) were raw. The outside of them looked like they had touced the oven but once cut into they were as pink . I reported this to the fa who was very embarrised and right away swapped it for another meal, however the same.

My meal was ruined and in a premium cabin I feel it is unbelievable. I ate none of my hot meal. Fa was very sorry and promised to write it up. I just wonder if anyone else has had problems like this? Or if you have never noticed. I would not even think about eating undercooked sausages nor should you.

I feel like I must report this to air nz as someone could get sick.

whats your views? Had any problems? Check your sausages in future..!

MrSydney Aug 17, 2011 1:59 pm

I have that breakfast many times on NZ101. I can't say I have noticed the raw sausage but then I never usually touch it. I usually just mush the scrambled eggs up and put it on toast

Breakfast in J on TT is about the nicest meal you can get. Some of the other food offerings can be just woeful.................many meals i have barely touched.

Blackcloud Aug 17, 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by MrSydney (Post 16941788)
I have that breakfast many times on NZ101. I can't say I have noticed the raw sausage but then I never usually touch it. I usually just mush the scrambled eggs up and put it on toast

Breakfast in J on TT is about the nicest meal you can get. Some of the other food offerings can be just woeful.................many meals i have barely touched.

The 777-319ER have had issues with its galley equipment since entering service.
IMO I disagree about the TT J Breakfast, I have always had a very ordinary meal, the pancakes just taste so bland and heavy (common with precooked pancakes).
I will say that the best TT meals, (QF, LA and EK) I have had were NZ TT J lunches and dinners, even on the A320:), simply the best and I was blown away the first time I had them.:D

QTFLYER Aug 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 16942214)
The 777-319ER have had issues with its galley equipment since entering service.
IMO I disagree about the TT J Breakfast, I have always had a very ordinary meal, the pancakes just taste so bland and heavy (common with precooked pancakes).
I will say that the best TT meals, (QF, LA and EK) I have had were NZ TT J lunches and dinners, even on the A320:), simply the best and I was blown away the first time I had them.:D

Agree, it was well known of the drama the 773 was having with its induction ovens however it seems they are not cooking fresh to order on TT anymore. My meal was a standard re-heated breakfast off the standard tt J menu. Hence the undercooked issue was made at the production level (LSG?) as reheating a meal will not resolve an undercooked product.

oranjemakker Aug 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Yes, the good old days, when you could use your points to upgrade to TT J (or use it for a paid mileage run) out of Christchurch for a weekend in Sydney and enjoy a few glasses of bubbles and a nice meal... while I cant remember the specifics of the meal quality I certainly remember enjoying the experience!

Now the horrible S2S... nothing to look forward to, just another depressing mode of public transport to get you from A to B (or in this case T to T!)

ajnz Aug 17, 2011 3:16 pm

I agree, the lunches and dinners have always been far better than breakfast. Airline breakfasts are almost universally poor.

Sorry to hear the OP had a bad experience with the breakfast.

QTFLYER Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm

I have a feeling, judging by the replies, that the main point in this has been lost.

I am not questioning the quality of the food, we all have our own views on that, what is being questioned the fact that it was served raw..!

If you visit a 5* resturant or greasy jo's cafe you dont expect the same quaility but you do expect it to be cooked to an edible standard that poses no risk to the consumer. This is the main point I will be bringing up with my email to air nz. I will report back their response in due time. However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!

kiwiandrew Aug 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by QTFLYER (Post 16943713)
However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!

A "miss"? I thought all sausages were automatically a "Mr";)

Blackcloud Aug 17, 2011 7:54 pm

I have a feeling, judging by the replies, that the main point in this has been lost.

I am not questioning the quality of the food, we all have our own views on that, what is being questioned the fact that it was served raw..!

If you visit a 5* resturant or greasy jo's cafe you dont expect the same quaility but you do expect it to be cooked to an edible standard that poses no risk to the consumer. This is the main point I will be bringing up with my email to air nz. I will report back their response in due time. However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!

Ahh but I did not want to add that as a non-meateater I would not touch the sausages anyway:p
The issue could also be that LSG may have made the food by mistake as "cook fresh" instead of "chill heat". When did this occur? I was told on a recent TT that there was a big issue with catering out of AKL last week.
Oh I also remember that I once received a Vegetarian Spring Roll, that you got in Economy TT, frozen solid. I pressed the FA call button to tell them and when they eventaully came they realised that the rear oven was broken.

oranjemakker Aug 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks QTFLYER for bringing me back on track... I assume that this plane was the one with the fancy new kitchen technology where they cook the food onboard? If so it was I guess a staff training or technology/maintenance issue. if it was supplied by a caterer then this makes it worse, as they would have a breakdown in their systems

Either way, I agree this is a potentially serious food safety issue and I would hope Air NZ take it seriously and reply with details of what they are doing to address this... I understand MAF will look at this complaint if you feel its worth escalating this (email is [email protected]). Perhaps say in your email to Air NZ that if you don't get a satisfactory response you will write to MAF...in any case, would be interesting to hear the outcome, keep us posted

serfty Aug 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Maybe it was the same chefs as on BA in SIN: Left somewhat confused by the BA F experience. [Raw Sausage]

:p

ajnz Aug 17, 2011 9:38 pm

The point was not missed.

A one-off incident doesn't really make a trend. It sounds like someone screwed up and unfortunately your breakfast was unpleasant. If you email NZ, I'm sure they'll give you some kind of apology and probably a small amount of compensation.

LOLABUNNY Aug 18, 2011 11:30 pm

That's just disgusting and for a premium cabin unacceptable.The last thing I want for the passengers is to get sick and have to go to the doctor a few days later all because of a badly cooked meal.

I have worked in the back of a Chinese Restaurant some years ago and have seen what actually goes on there Food like what you had on that Air New Zealand Flight would not be acceptable.Ok I was mainly the dishwasher and storer of the dishes in the shop but all the same.

Hubbabridge Aug 21, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't think you can accurately tell whether a sausage is cooked by looking at the colour of the meat especially with the use of cook/ chill and induction heating. The important issue is whether the meat has reached 68 degrees C for a few seconds. This is obviously impossible to tell easily.

QTFLYER Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hubbabridge (Post 16966051)
I don't think you can accurately tell whether a sausage is cooked by looking at the colour of the meat especially with the use of cook/ chill and induction heating. The important issue is whether the meat has reached 68 degrees C for a few seconds. This is obviously impossible to tell easily.

I disagree. The breakfast sausages used are not your typical beef sausage but more 'white meat' based. Hence when cooked correctly they are almost a dull grey colour. When this sausage was cut into it was was easy to see they were not cooked. I have since had it confirmed that the CSD was reported on her sector report that the sausages were not cooked. I am still awaiting a full response, which may take a number of days.