under cooked food, shocking......!

Old Aug 17, 11, 2:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Posts: 616
Angry under cooked food, shocking......!

Ok, I love food in the sky, I think most of it tastes ok these days however over the past year or so I have had an issue a couple of times with air nz.

Breakfast J class ex.akl.

this week I flew tt on the 773 (first time on 773; not bad) and the bloody breakfast sausages (served with the creamy chive scrambled egg) were raw. The outside of them looked like they had touced the oven but once cut into they were as pink . I reported this to the fa who was very embarrised and right away swapped it for another meal, however the same.

My meal was ruined and in a premium cabin I feel it is unbelievable. I ate none of my hot meal. Fa was very sorry and promised to write it up. I just wonder if anyone else has had problems like this? Or if you have never noticed. I would not even think about eating undercooked sausages nor should you.

I feel like I must report this to air nz as someone could get sick.

whats your views? Had any problems? Check your sausages in future..!
QTFLYER is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 2:59 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Stanmore, Sydney, Australia.
Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Posts: 1,360
I have that breakfast many times on NZ101. I can't say I have noticed the raw sausage but then I never usually touch it. I usually just mush the scrambled eggs up and put it on toast

Breakfast in J on TT is about the nicest meal you can get. Some of the other food offerings can be just woeful.................many meals i have barely touched.
MrSydney is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 4:01 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wellington
Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Posts: 4,669
Originally Posted by MrSydney View Post
I have that breakfast many times on NZ101. I can't say I have noticed the raw sausage but then I never usually touch it. I usually just mush the scrambled eggs up and put it on toast

Breakfast in J on TT is about the nicest meal you can get. Some of the other food offerings can be just woeful.................many meals i have barely touched.
The 777-319ER have had issues with its galley equipment since entering service.
IMO I disagree about the TT J Breakfast, I have always had a very ordinary meal, the pancakes just taste so bland and heavy (common with precooked pancakes).
I will say that the best TT meals, (QF, LA and EK) I have had were NZ TT J lunches and dinners, even on the A320, simply the best and I was blown away the first time I had them.
Blackcloud is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 4:13 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
The 777-319ER have had issues with its galley equipment since entering service.
IMO I disagree about the TT J Breakfast, I have always had a very ordinary meal, the pancakes just taste so bland and heavy (common with precooked pancakes).
I will say that the best TT meals, (QF, LA and EK) I have had were NZ TT J lunches and dinners, even on the A320, simply the best and I was blown away the first time I had them.
Agree, it was well known of the drama the 773 was having with its induction ovens however it seems they are not cooking fresh to order on TT anymore. My meal was a standard re-heated breakfast off the standard tt J menu. Hence the undercooked issue was made at the production level (LSG?) as reheating a meal will not resolve an undercooked product.
QTFLYER is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 4:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I will say that the best TT meals, (QF, LA and EK) I have had were NZ TT J lunches and dinners, even on the A320, simply the best and I was blown away the first time I had them.
Yes, the good old days, when you could use your points to upgrade to TT J (or use it for a paid mileage run) out of Christchurch for a weekend in Sydney and enjoy a few glasses of bubbles and a nice meal... while I cant remember the specifics of the meal quality I certainly remember enjoying the experience!

Now the horrible S2S... nothing to look forward to, just another depressing mode of public transport to get you from A to B (or in this case T to T!)
oranjemakker is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 4:16 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SJC
Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Posts: 2,633
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
I will say that the best TT meals, (QF, LA and EK) I have had were NZ TT J lunches and dinners, even on the A320, simply the best and I was blown away the first time I had them.
I agree, the lunches and dinners have always been far better than breakfast. Airline breakfasts are almost universally poor.

Sorry to hear the OP had a bad experience with the breakfast.
ajnz is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 8:20 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Posts: 616
I have a feeling, judging by the replies, that the main point in this has been lost.

I am not questioning the quality of the food, we all have our own views on that, what is being questioned the fact that it was served raw..!

If you visit a 5* resturant or greasy jo's cafe you dont expect the same quaility but you do expect it to be cooked to an edible standard that poses no risk to the consumer. This is the main point I will be bringing up with my email to air nz. I will report back their response in due time. However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!
QTFLYER is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 8:25 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!
A "miss"? I thought all sausages were automatically a "Mr"
kiwiandrew is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 8:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wellington
Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Posts: 4,669
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
I have a feeling, judging by the replies, that the main point in this has been lost.

I am not questioning the quality of the food, we all have our own views on that, what is being questioned the fact that it was served raw..!

If you visit a 5* resturant or greasy jo's cafe you dont expect the same quaility but you do expect it to be cooked to an edible standard that poses no risk to the consumer. This is the main point I will be bringing up with my email to air nz. I will report back their response in due time. However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!
Ahh but I did not want to add that as a non-meateater I would not touch the sausages anyway
The issue could also be that LSG may have made the food by mistake as "cook fresh" instead of "chill heat". When did this occur? I was told on a recent TT that there was a big issue with catering out of AKL last week.
Oh I also remember that I once received a Vegetarian Spring Roll, that you got in Economy TT, frozen solid. I pressed the FA call button to tell them and when they eventaully came they realised that the rear oven was broken.
Blackcloud is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 8:56 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
I have a feeling, judging by the replies, that the main point in this has been lost.
Thanks QTFLYER for bringing me back on track... I assume that this plane was the one with the fancy new kitchen technology where they cook the food onboard? If so it was I guess a staff training or technology/maintenance issue. if it was supplied by a caterer then this makes it worse, as they would have a breakdown in their systems

Either way, I agree this is a potentially serious food safety issue and I would hope Air NZ take it seriously and reply with details of what they are doing to address this... I understand MAF will look at this complaint if you feel its worth escalating this (email is [email protected]). Perhaps say in your email to Air NZ that if you don't get a satisfactory response you will write to MAF...in any case, would be interesting to hear the outcome, keep us posted

Last edited by oranjemakker; Aug 17, 11 at 8:58 pm Reason: fix typo and clarify
oranjemakker is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 8:57 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Melbourne
Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Posts: 21,551
Maybe it was the same chefs as on BA in SIN: Left somewhat confused by the BA F experience. [Raw Sausage]

serfty is offline  
Old Aug 17, 11, 10:38 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SJC
Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Posts: 2,633
Originally Posted by QTFLYER View Post
I have a feeling, judging by the replies, that the main point in this has been lost.

I am not questioning the quality of the food, we all have our own views on that, what is being questioned the fact that it was served raw..!

If you visit a 5* resturant or greasy jo's cafe you dont expect the same quaility but you do expect it to be cooked to an edible standard that poses no risk to the consumer. This is the main point I will be bringing up with my email to air nz. I will report back their response in due time. However in the meantime, take a wee closer look at your sausages in the future and report back here anything that is a miss..!
The point was not missed.

A one-off incident doesn't really make a trend. It sounds like someone screwed up and unfortunately your breakfast was unpleasant. If you email NZ, I'm sure they'll give you some kind of apology and probably a small amount of compensation.
ajnz is offline  
Old Aug 19, 11, 12:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide,Australia
Posts: 273
That's just disgusting and for a premium cabin unacceptable.The last thing I want for the passengers is to get sick and have to go to the doctor a few days later all because of a badly cooked meal.

I have worked in the back of a Chinese Restaurant some years ago and have seen what actually goes on there Food like what you had on that Air New Zealand Flight would not be acceptable.Ok I was mainly the dishwasher and storer of the dishes in the shop but all the same.
LOLABUNNY is offline  
Old Aug 21, 11, 4:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Londinium
Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Posts: 1,607
I don't think you can accurately tell whether a sausage is cooked by looking at the colour of the meat especially with the use of cook/ chill and induction heating. The important issue is whether the meat has reached 68 degrees C for a few seconds. This is obviously impossible to tell easily.
Hubbabridge is offline  
Old Aug 22, 11, 10:26 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Posts: 616
Originally Posted by Hubbabridge View Post
I don't think you can accurately tell whether a sausage is cooked by looking at the colour of the meat especially with the use of cook/ chill and induction heating. The important issue is whether the meat has reached 68 degrees C for a few seconds. This is obviously impossible to tell easily.
I disagree. The breakfast sausages used are not your typical beef sausage but more 'white meat' based. Hence when cooked correctly they are almost a dull grey colour. When this sausage was cut into it was was easy to see they were not cooked. I have since had it confirmed that the CSD was reported on her sector report that the sausages were not cooked. I am still awaiting a full response, which may take a number of days.
QTFLYER is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: