Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

how do upgrades work with KLM / Air France Flying Blue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do upgrades work with KLM / Air France Flying Blue?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA, KLM
I would say you would not get an upgrade 99% of the time in that scenario. I have been Platinum, with 100-140 legs flown in a year and never received as much as an upgrade on a Newcastle to Amsterdam leg
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The cheap BC fares - which apparently have been running regularly for quite a while - are certainly attractive as they don't reduce elite status (just the earned miles). All these changes at FB (and other airline FFPs) are new to me to me as I stopped flying for quite a while.

FWIW, the very few times I've checked, the BC fares to Germany and Austria (among some other places) seem to be a higher than to say, FR, NL, IT, HU, CZ among other European countries. Might as well tag on an "international" (AMS/CDG-BRU/LUX?) segment if you can to earn more XP.

Have you ever priced out SEA-YVR-FRA (or wherever) on AC vs YVR-FRA at the same time? I imagine there is probably a non-stop premium for the latter.
I have.....but thing I hate most about SEA is having to drive THROUGH Seattle to get there! Much prefer YVR. So much easier for me. Anyway, I did just price out flying out of SEA (connecting in YVR), and for that flight where I was quoted over $7K USD, it's now jumped up to over $11K USD!! Yup...that's right.....an additional $4000 USD to take a puddle jumper from SEA to YVR to catch that exact same flight.

And I often find this is the case with flying out of SEA vs. YVR. It's nearly always much cheaper to fly out of YVR than SEA. And that's fine with me.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by ajcopley
I have.....but thing I hate most about SEA is having to drive THROUGH Seattle to get there! Much prefer YVR.
Ah, live on the north side. Yes, I can see not driving through SEA (unless in the wee hours) being attractive.

Anyway, I did just price out flying out of SEA (connecting in YVR), and for that flight where I was quoted over $7K USD, it's now jumped up to over $11K USD!! Yup...that's right.....an additional $4000 USD to take a puddle jumper from SEA to YVR to catch that exact same flight.

And I often find this is the case with flying out of SEA vs. YVR. It's nearly always much cheaper to fly out of YVR than SEA. And that's fine with me.
Maybe the cheap AC US-Int'l fares are for the back cabin only. Long been a complaint north of the border. At any rate, Canada is a low premium fare market compared to U.S. I hate to think AC's SEA-FRA BC fare may still be less than, say, whoever else flies SEA=>Europe (are there SEA-FRA flights?)
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Ah, live on the north side. Yes, I can see not driving through SEA (unless in the wee hours) being attractive.

Maybe the cheap AC US-Int'l fares are for the back cabin only. Long been a complaint north of the border. At any rate, Canada is a low premium fare market compared to U.S. I hate to think AC's SEA-FRA BC fare may still be less than, say, whoever else flies SEA=>Europe (are there SEA-FRA flights?)
LH (maybe Eurowings?) flies to SEA.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by hhdl
^

Looks like AC is being ridiculous. Just did a sample and LH is charging ~USD 3,500 each way in BC for the n/s flight, or one-change ones with AC or UA. Small difference (~USD 300) between basic and flex fares. AC wants ex-YVR ~C$4K each way for the basic (fees for change/refund) and ~C$4.5k each way ex-SEA (1 change). Flex ex-SEA with one change is CAD $11k each way!
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:09 pm

So an international flight KLM or AF flight is departing with 10 free biz class pods and 8 free premium economy seats. I've purchased the highest fare economy ticket and I'm a FlyingBlue Platinum. Both Air France and KLM will let those seats go empty and not upgrade me at the gate?
Wouldn't DL/AA/UA also operate similar International flights with those seats empty (absent folks using upgrade instruments/$$$?) I thought free upgrades were purely a US domestic thing..(OK..plus some nearby "international" destinations)
Old Jan 24, 2024, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by hhdl
It's LH (not Eurowings) out of SEA. And for those same dates, LH wants $13K USD for bus class refundable.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 7:21 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
Wouldn't DL/AA/UA also operate similar International flights with those seats empty (absent folks using upgrade instruments/$$$?) I thought free upgrades were purely a US domestic thing..(OK..plus some nearby "international" destinations)
That's correct - No major airline routinely upgrades people for free on long-haul international flights; even for their own elites. It's always a matter of cash/miles/upgrade instruments, unless it's an OP-UP
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Hello -- new to the FlyingBlue program so I'm hoping someone can help me understand how upgrades work.

I've been a long-time top-tier elite with Air Canada, and just recently jumped ship to FlyingBlue. On Air Canada, we would receive "eUpgrade credits", dependent upon your Aeroplan status and mileage flown and spend. Whenever you'd reach a certain threshold in a calendar year, you'd 'earn' these eUpgrade Credits that could then be used for upgrading on a future flight (either to premium economy or business, and dependent upon the class of service on the ticket you're wishing to upgrade on). You'd also be gifted these credits at the beginning of the calendar year based on your status. Note that these eUpgrade credits are different than the miles that you accrue with Aeroplan. On VERY rare occasions, at the gate you could receive a "complimentary" upgrade. I think in my 6+ years of flying Air Canada, this maybe happened twice.

So how do upgrades work on FlyingBlue? I'm looking through the FlyingBlue website and not finding anything obvious as to how upgrades work.

thanks in advance!
I've yet to find a published table with miles upgrade in Flying Blue. Like you, I recently migrated from a North America program (United's) where I'm a million miler and 1k for over 10 years. It's a real shock to the system, because the programs in Europe are radically different. One thing to note - if you upgrade Y with miles, the XP you earn is still the same as the original itinerary, so there is no boost towards elite qualification. I haven't upgraded any reservation yet and can't locate any information on how many miles it would take to upgrade from Europe to the US, for example.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:23 am
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
I've yet to find a published table with miles upgrade in Flying Blue. Like you, I recently migrated from a North America program (United's) where I'm a million miler and 1k for over 10 years.
Out of curiosity, what made you switch programs - especially after such a significant investment in UA MP?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by ofj
Out of curiosity, what made you switch programs - especially after such a significant investment in UA MP?
I moved to Portugal and my daughter moved to Amsterdam, so I am often in the OPO-AMS route on KLM. And due to most of my business destinations being within Europe now, there's little chance I'll spend 24k to re-qualify for 1k :-(
ofj likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I've yet to find a published table with miles upgrade in Flying Blue. Like you, I recently migrated from a North America program (United's) where I'm a million miler and 1k for over 10 years. It's a real shock to the system, because the programs in Europe are radically different. One thing to note - if you upgrade Y with miles, the XP you earn is still the same as the original itinerary, so there is no boost towards elite qualification. I haven't upgraded any reservation yet and can't locate any information on how many miles it would take to upgrade from Europe to the US, for example.
AIUI in Flying Blue this is also the case if you upgrade with cash.
Jade_BR likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:32 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
I moved to Portugal and my daughter moved to Amsterdam, so I am often in the OPO-AMS route on KLM. And due to most of my business destinations being within Europe now, there's little chance I'll spend 24k to re-qualify for 1k :-(
I thought MM with UA is a lifetime status, so what does re-qualification mean in that context (sorry, not an UA expert)?
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
I thought MM with UA is a lifetime status, so what does re-qualification mean in that context (sorry, not an UA expert)?
As a Million Miler I am Gold for life. If I became a 2MM I'd be Platinum for life, and I think you're 1k for life if you reach 3MM.
The big advantage of being Gold for life is that it means you're also Star Alliance Gold, so those benefits remain.
wuzziduzziman likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by etiene
AIUI in Flying Blue this is also the case if you upgrade with cash.
Thank you, I wasn't sure about the cash upgrade.
Does KLM use dynamic pricing for miles upgrade? Do you know if there's a table somewhere I can refer to?

I'm considering buying Y on a personal trip to the States and upgrading with miles but I don't know if a) I have enough miles and b) it would be worth it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.