Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does KLM also distribute "Houses" on flights to Saudi Arabia?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Does KLM also distribute "Houses" on flights to Saudi Arabia?

I think the import of alcohol is strictly forbidden. Does KLM still distribute the Houses which AFAIK contain alcohol?

Just curious
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
They distribute empty houses on flights to countries where alcohol is not viewed kindly.

Empty Delft houses
Old Sep 1, 2020, 6:19 pm

I've reviewed this and the linked thread but don't have an answer. Mostly asking out of curiosity, how might it work on the KL flights AMS-KWI-BAH. KWI is a dry country but BAH is most certainly not. Might they divide what they give out (doubtful)? Or are they empty for everyone regardless of whether your final destination is KWI or BAH (more likely)?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I've been on a couple of BAH-AMS and DMM-AMS flights a long time ago, but I don't know anything about the houses. Though I wouldn't have known anyway since I never flew business or first-class internationally.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nayef
I've been on a couple of BAH-AMS and DMM-AMS flights a long time ago, but I don't know anything about the houses. Though I wouldn't have known anyway since I never flew business or first-class internationally.
I should like to add that I also don't know the answer to deltatrav's question.

Anybody else out there who doesn't know either?

Johan
the810 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
Sorry - I thought the original question was still pending and did not see the follow on - can't remove my reply somehow

In the past they did - just empty ones though - no alcohol inside -
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by pjhartog
Sorry - I thought the original question was still pending and did not see the follow on - can't remove my reply somehow

In the past they did - just empty ones though - no alcohol inside -
Was this on the KWI-BAH leg?

Also, what about departing Saudi/KWI - would it be filled or empty?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deltatrav
I've reviewed this and the linked thread but don't have an answer.
It does...

From the linked thread:

Originally Posted by Gajan
I thought they only give the empty bottles to flights to Muslim countries? Maybe a mistake?
Originally Posted by MichielR
All flights to the ME have empty huisjes.

Crew can't distinguish pax religions. Alchoholic beverages are served on board ME flights but these are consumed on board. Huisjes are supposed to be taken off the aircraft which in the ME can be an issue.
Originally Posted by KLeM
I received an empty house when flying to Abu Dhabi earlier this year, while on the flight to Dubai I got a full one. It had something to do with religion / local rules as there was a sticker on the house saying it had been emptied to comply to some kind of regulation.
Originally Posted by chunk73
I expect that to Saudi, Kuwait and Iran the houses are always empty. It may be that other locations may depend on local alcohol importation laws or perhaps where the crew suspect an individual may be of a certain religious persuasion, they offer an empty one?

And the answer is: on flights to Saudi Arabia, you will receive a huisje but it will almost certainly be empty.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:24 pm

the question was not answered - my question involved a 5th freedom add on between muslim countries where one is dry and one is not.

Last edited by deltatrav; Sep 2, 2020 at 8:33 pm
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deltatrav
the question was not answered - my question involved a 5th freedom add on between muslim countries where one is dry and one is not.
KLM huisjes are distributed on all flights operated with WBC, even on short legs/tags.

Whether the huisjes are full or empty is dictated by local regulation.

It can never be excluded that, due to error or oversight, there may not be a huisje on a particular flight, or that the wrong type (empty/full) is loaded.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm going to posit that since KL has been flying to these areas for some time that they know the requisit local laws - the fact thet give out specifically manufactured empty ones on those flights shows that.

I'm also going to suggest that if a flight includes a dry country then they will cater the houses as for the dry country even if it then flies onto a wet one. They will not want to run the risk of giving out full houses and putting passengers at risk of breaking customs laws when they pass through customs and immigration. Though of course that may have happened in the past.

I've seen 2nd hand huisjes at the Noordermarkt in Amsterdam that have words such as 'empty due to customs rules' stamped on the base so they go to that level of preparedness for geting it right.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Whether the huisjes are full or empty is dictated by local regulation.
Bingo! That has been my experience as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.