Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FB awarded 2 XP for domestic DL J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Then re-contact AF via Twitter. Are you a Silver/Gold/Plat Member? If yes, this response time is really slow!
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat
Called FB then DL, and got an interesting explanation of circumstances.

Explained situation to FB rep just as I wrote in the post at the top of this thread.

FB rep says the fare class was Y, then I said no way because I had booked with DL by phone and had specifically requested J fare, paid approximately 4x Y fare, sat in 2C, and J is what's listed in my confirmation email (I no longer have the boarding passes). He said it's a DL issue because Y fare is what's in the computer on my ticket number, and he suggested in the future I always call FB to book any DL flight in order to ensure getting a fare class that will earn the expected amount of XP.

Called DL, and rep explained indeed I had paid for an upgraded Y fare despite having specifically asked for J, and despite the fact that J is what's listed in my confirmation email. She said J fare would have been even more expensive (she gave a dollar amount that would have been approximately 6x Y), and that there's nothing that can be done about it now after the flights.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Interesting, I guess it was then a YUP as sold by DL, which is confirmed in business class at ticketing but you also need availability in the underlying economy fare bucket. I bought such fares in the past and had no problem getting FB miles based on the booking class rather than the fare basis. One more example of crazy new FB rules in addition to the ticket stock... they are really messing things up with these changes.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Interesting though, because last time I had DL Y booking (SJC-SLC) then upgraded it to J via DL app, it got reticketed as J and earned 6 XP each way.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Well, good news!

Called FB again today, and after five minutes of research the rep returned to the line and said that indeed there had been a mistake in posting the correct number of XP and that she would be making the adjustment.

A few minutes later I had the correct number of XP in my account.

Interesting how the FB rep yesterday said Delta had caused the problem and nothing could be done now, yet today the rep was able to solve the problem easily.
ranskis, Goldorak and vinnyc like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA BAEC Gold (oW Emerald), AF/KLM FB Plat (ST E+), *Alliance Nada
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Interesting though, because last time I had DL Y booking (SJC-SLC) then upgraded it to J via DL app, it got reticketed as J and earned 6 XP each way.
Indeed, that is the marvel with Delta’s Economy fares that have been upgraded to business class by using the Delta app: you get the XPs based on the business-class upgraded fare, not the original one. This has been discussed in past threads, and I do it all the times on my LGA-YUL flights, where it costs me almost nothing to upgrade to business class and enjoy the total 30XPs for the round trip (that’s the best XP mileage run you get).

However, I always rely on miles and XPs to post properly to FB, because frankly, in the scenario
encountered by the OP, it is very difficult to explain and argue with FB (they will always hold their ground on the rule that you always earn XP and miles based on the original fare class – while for Delta, it seems like it is the upgraded fare class is the one that feeds FB, as if there was a re-ticketing). Therefore, if not credited properly in the first place, any adjustment request will almost surely be a lost battle.

I guess that what surely helps the OP in the first place is that he has never really “upgraded” post an initial purchase, but instead purchased initially a business-class (that was not really one). Therefore, from a ticketing standpoint, he can demonstrate that he originally paid for a business class seat.

Anyway, glad that it worked and that FB was reasonable and able to credit properly the XPs.

-vinnyc
paris1000, Goldorak and glennhaak like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The XP calculator yields strange North America earning.

• My 2,500 mile LAX-JFK in Delta One earned 6 XP. Ticket typically costs $1,300+
• My 320 mile JFK-YUL in regular DL Business earned 15 XP. Ticket cost less than $200.
bodory likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777

• My 2,500 mile LAX-JFK in Delta One earned 6 XP. Ticket typically costs $1,300+
• My 320 mile JFK-YUL in regular DL Business earned 15 XP. Ticket cost less than $200.
Isn’t it crazy? 😉

Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Yep, and that's how I figure it'll be easiest for me to maintain Sky Team Elite Plus -- via FB Gold.

I get 60 XP yearly from a credit card that I use, and three short connecting trips to Canada from my home in the US earns more than the remaining 120 XP needed.

Then all I have to do is ensure FB credits the correct number of XP to my account!
SFO777 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold

Yep, domestic flight earnings in big countries are stupid.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think that this is something that will be looked at going forward and some adjustments will be made. There should be a maximum distance for a domestic flight as such to earn 2XPs, over which you should get a different level of XPs, say 3 then 4 and maybe even 5 (for transcontinentals in the US for example). It's a real inconsistency in the new system, so it needs to be looked at.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
I think that this is something that will be looked at going forward and some adjustments will be made.
Originally Posted by Concerto
...so it needs to be looked at.
You sound so sure in the way you are saying this. Do you know for a fact, having been told by a reliable source at Air France/Flying Blue, or is it wishful thinking from you?

-vinnyc

Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Not at all, I'm not connected to anyone in this business. But it's an absurdity that's going to be addressed at some point or another. In the very old days of FFPs, you got something like 750 or 1,000 minimum miles for international flights, and 250 or 500 miles for domestic. That may be similar to the 2XP or 5XP difference, but when you actually flew a long domestic flight you got more miles, which ended up softening the lesser minimum basic accrual. Nowadays 2XP (or 6 in Business) for a transcon from, say, New York to Los Angeles is far too little. Same goes for flights in Russia and other large countries. I would suggest a sliding scale of 2, 3 and 4 XPs, depending on actual distance. After all, if you think about it, the existing longhaul offer works that way with different XP levels depending on the various distance thresholds.

On the other hand, maybe they think we are getting too many XPs and qualification is just a bit too easy. I hope not. I believe that for the majority qualifying for elite will remain quite difficult unless you make a real effort like us.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:02 pm

Just want to ask if anyone has issues with miles and XPs earning on Delta domestic first class flight recently? My tickets are under code Z, which was not used for Delta domestic first class before realignment. Having contacted FB about it, but got a reply saying that I cannot earn miles for Domestic flight under code Z. Anyone has similar situation recently? Should I follow up with FB and argue about it? Thanks!

Last edited by ZSCNKCMH; Feb 13, 2019 at 8:34 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ZSCNKCMH
Just want to ask if anyone has issues with miles and XPs earning on Delta domestic first class flight recently? My tickets are under code Z, which was not used for Delta domestic first class before realignment. Having contacted FB about it, but got a reply saying that I cannot earn miles for Domestic flight under code Z. Anyone has similar situation recently? Should I follow up with FB and argue about it? Thanks!

Same question- What does Z Class earn because it seems like that fare class aligns with Delta One? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.