Wiki Posts
Search

1 (one) XP short of Platinum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Lifetime Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Turkish Airlines Elite
1 (one) XP short of Platinum?

By end of next week after completing a roundtrip from Amman to Beirut I will be 1 (one) XP short of Platinum without any more SkyTeam flights planned this year.

Is there another way of earning 1 XP than flying?

What are the changes that FB will upgrade my status manually based on 299 XPs if I e-mail them?

Many thanks
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Hafnia
By end of next week after completing a roundtrip from Amman to Beirut I will be 1 (one) XP short of Platinum without any more SkyTeam flights planned this year.

Is there another way of earning 1 XP than flying?

What are the changes that FB will upgrade my status manually based on 299 XPs if I e-mail them?

Many thanks
flying blue credit cards , if available in your country or if you can apply for one in france , switzerland or the netherlands (there are other places but i dont remember everything)

if not possible , call them and ask

if nothing works , then try a status run, mean that you fly as cheap as possible just for your status , you take a flight and the return trip will be done with same plane or during same day
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The thing is, if you do do a run then any extra XPs you earn will be carried over to next year’s earnings. So it would give you a bit of a head start in requalifying for Platinum next year. The extra XPs would be by no means wasted.
Wangja and Mirendo like this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
The thing is, if you do do a run then any extra XPs you earn will be carried over to next year’s earnings. So it would give you a bit of a head start in requalifying for Platinum next year. The extra XPs would be by no means wasted.
thank you but I was hoping to avoid doing a MR since I don’t have much time for it also keeping in mind that all I need to qualify for Platinum is 1 (one) XP. I think I will write to FB amd request them to consider me for a manual upgrade to Platinium and if that doesnt work, then I will go to Beirut with MEA (Im based in Amman) which will give me 10 XPs for a return in eco and be the quickest/cheapest option.

Last edited by Hafnia; Nov 9, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: Typo
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh I see, I thought you were in CPH, which would have entailed a quick CPH-AMS-CPH (although a point-to-point route like that might be quite dear, I've never tried that route). MEA is probably the way to go, if you can get it in within one day. It will save you from depending on call center promises that might never materialize in the end. Totally understand, though, about wanting to avoid doing an MR.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:03 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Or if you're not a such a big AF/KLM flyer, just carry the XP's over to next year to make your requalification of Gold easier.....
Goldorak likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Indeed, I am in the same position as OP, but I opt for carrying over the XPs. I have a flying pattern that requires often a bit of work to make Gold every year - qualified in the old system for years on segments, but deliberately had to take some indirect flights for instance to reach 30 qualifying flights. With XPs on the bank, I can stand that odd year that I fly less as 180 XP and still keep Gold. For me it is about the priority lane and lounge access - the only additional benefit of Plat would be free EC seats where now I pay 50% (typically 6-10 Euro for a short haul). And maybe the plat line. For 2019 only since it is very unlikely I will make 300 XP next year. Essentially I prefer to be for sure long-term Gold as having one year Plat. But this all depensd on one's preferences and situation, obviously.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atflyer
Indeed, I am in the same position as OP, but I opt for carrying over the XPs. I have a flying pattern that requires often a bit of work to make Gold every year - qualified in the old system for years on segments, but deliberately had to take some indirect flights for instance to reach 30 qualifying flights. With XPs on the bank, I can stand that odd year that I fly less as 180 XP and still keep Gold. For me it is about the priority lane and lounge access - the only additional benefit of Plat would be free EC seats where now I pay 50% (typically 6-10 Euro for a short haul). And maybe the plat line. For 2019 only since it is very unlikely I will make 300 XP next year. Essentially I prefer to be for sure long-term Gold as having one year Plat. But this all depensd on one's preferences and situation, obviously.
Thank and completely agree with the preference for long term gold over Plat. However, I was of the impression that there is a soft landing from Plat to Gold if one does not manage to qualify for status during the first year of being Plat but I guess I have misunderstood something?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: FB Platinum

Thank and completely agree with the preference for long term gold over Plat. However, I was of the impression that there is a soft landing from Plat to Gold if one does not manage to qualify for status during the first year of being Plat but I guess I have misunderstood something?
You are correct about the soft-landing from Plat to Gold but you will lose any XP gained over the year if you drop a level. The correct strategy is an individual choice, based on flying plans over a 1-2 year period. The benefits of Plat vs Gold are very minor, so this probably shouldn't be a consideration unless the tiny number of extra miles and free seat options are important to you.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01
You are correct about the soft-landing from Plat to Gold but you will lose any XP gained over the year if you drop a level. The correct strategy is an individual choice, based on flying plans over a 1-2 year period. The benefits of Plat vs Gold are very minor, so this probably shouldn't be a consideration unless the tiny number of extra miles and free seat options are important to you.
To be precise - if you are Plat end 2018, you essentially are deducted 300 XP and start 2019 with 0 XP. End 2019 (assuming you do not requalify for plat) they deduct 180 from what you earned in 2019 for the soft landing to Gold - giving you 0 XP to start in 2020 (they do not go negative is the consensus), or if you gained more than 180 XP in 2019 the remainder. In my strategy, I start 2019 with 119 XP, say that I fly 170 XP in 2019, they deduct 180 end 2019, I start 2020 with 109 XP and will easily requalify for Gold.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by atflyer
To be precise - if you are Plat end 2018, you essentially are deducted 300 XP and start 2019 with 0 XP. End 2019 (assuming you do not requalify for plat) they deduct 180 from what you earned in 2019 for the soft landing to Gold - giving you 0 XP to start in 2020 (they do not go negative is the consensus), or if you gained more than 180 XP in 2019 the remainder. In my strategy, I start 2019 with 119 XP, say that I fly 170 XP in 2019, they deduct 180 end 2019, I start 2020 with 109 XP and will easily requalify for Gold.
My bold. Are we sure that you keep any XP over 180 when you soft-land from Plat to Gold? I have seen opinion going both ways over this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by PeteM01
My bold. Are we sure that you keep any XP over 180 when you soft-land from Plat to Gold? I have seen opinion going both ways over this.
FB site is pretty clear about this: 'Let’s say you are Platinum. You need to gain 300 XP by the end of your personal qualification period to remain Platinum. If you only get up to 240 XP by the end of your qualification period, your XP counter is offset by 180 XP and your status changes to Gold. You have 60 surplus XP to begin your new qualification period, a nice head start on staying Gold or levelling back up to Platinum.'
https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/programme
PeteM01 and Mirendo like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA, KLM
There isn't a cat in hells chance they will award you an extra XP and upgrade you. I made a complaint to them about bad advice from a KLM Agent effectively costing me 180 XP at the April cutover, and after about 4 months eventually gave up.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you, all.

It turned out that I had an unexpected trip AMM-BEY-AMM and I am now Plat. They deducted 300 XPs and changed my qualification deadline to 30 Nov 2019 while my plat status expires Feb 2020.

I stil have to figure out my strategy for next year. I might be relocating to BEY sometime in 2019 so considerig asking Cedar Miles for a status match. MEA in my experience is much more generous with upgrades than AF. My friend who is MEA gold gets upgraded on a regular basis and I have been upgraded by MEA 4 times between BEY-CPH -and/or CDG over 1.5 year. In aprox. 10 years, most of them being AF gold I have never recieved one single upgrade from AF - in general I’ve never felt much appriciation of my business from AF. Will be interested to see if this changes now that I’m plat.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:08 am

In aprox. 10 years, most of them being AF gold I have never recieved one single upgrade from AF - in general I’ve never felt much appriciation of my business from AF. Will be interested to see if this changes now that I’m plat.
In terms of upgrades, the appreciation from AF/KL will still be on the lower side hence I would set my expectation bar accordingly if I were you (just to avoid disappointment) On the whole, I never noticed any significant difference since I've been Platinum, apart from the great service through the Platinum line, especially during disruptions.

G
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.