Search

TGV - Brussel to CDG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
TGV - Brussel to CDG

Dear all,
I am planning to take the TGV from Brussels Midi to CDG on Sunday. I have a few questions about this journey and was wondering if someone could guide me maybe. I have bought this ticket in combination with my plane ticket from AF/KL.
1. Is it possible for me to check in online for this trip?
2. I am FB-Plat and flying eco, which class of the train will I be travelling in?
3. Can I select my seat on this train trip?
4. What is the deadline for getting the train station and who of where should I register?

Thanks,

SB
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by strikerbird
Dear all,
I am planning to take the TGV from Brussels Midi to CDG on Sunday. I have a few questions about this journey and was wondering if someone could guide me maybe. I have bought this ticket in combination with my plane ticket from AF/KL.
1. Is it possible for me to check in online for this trip?
2. I am FB-Plat and flying eco, which class of the train will I be travelling in?
3. Can I select my seat on this train trip?
4. What is the deadline for getting the train station and who of where should I register?

Thanks,

SB
Two of your questions are answered on the AF website: https://www.airfrance.be/BE/en/commo..._airfrance.htm.

The AF desk is located right by a secondary entrance to the train station. If you're arriving by car ask to be dropped of at the Rue de France/Frankrijkstraat entrance. If you're arriving elsewhere in the station you can follow the AF signs.
To my knowledge seats on the train are assigned by the staff at the check-in desk. It's been a few years since I last did this so I don't know if you can check in online.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: FB Plat
1) No. You cannot check in online for trains - you check in when you physically retrieves your ticket, which you should do during the 24 hours time span before the Brussels-CDG train.
2) Eco (2nd) unless overbooked. I once have been upgraded to 1st class, thanks to Paris-Lyon being a very busy route.
3) No, your seat is automatically selected.
4) If it's about getting your train tickets, I would personally arrive 30 to 60 minutes before departure, to ensure you get your tickets with no issues. If you already have your ticket, you may arrive 10 minutes before departure.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz
1) No. You cannot check in online for trains - you check in when you physically retrieves your ticket, which you should do during the 24 hours time span before the Brussels-CDG train.
2) Eco (2nd) unless overbooked. I once have been upgraded to 1st class, thanks to Paris-Lyon being a very busy route.
3) No, your seat is automatically selected.
4) If it's about getting your train tickets, I would personally arrive 30 to 60 minutes before departure, to ensure you get your tickets with no issues. If you already have your ticket, you may arrive 10 minutes before departure.
There are differences between domestic train routes and the one to Brussels. For instance, you travel in first class to/from Brussels. There is an actual check-in desk in Brussels where they tag your bags and give you boarding passes for the whole journey. This was not the case the one time I had ticket starting in Lille Europe, where I simply received a train ticket in second class and had to check in for the flight at CDG.
Zarmakuizz likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: FB Plat
Oh, I learnt something. Thank you!
(This was indeed answered in the link you posted - I have no excuses.)
CosmicGirl likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by strikerbird
Dear all,
I have bought this ticket in combination with my plane ticket from AF/KL.
All above comments are valid in case you mean that you have bought air&rail ticket in one PNR, not when you buy a plane ticket in combination with a train ticket via a tour operator or travel agency. Everything should be fine when your point of departure is mentioned as "Bruxells-Midi - ZYR" in your reservation. In case 'ZYR' is not mentioned, it could be a separate train ticket.

I've taken ZYR-CDG-XXX several times (FB Plat, economy class) and I've never traveled 2nd class in the train. Also, luggage is checked in at the train station and taken care of, you don't have to take it into the train yourself, then collect at CDG and check-in again. It automatically goes to your final destination from the check-in desk at ZYR. (only for ZYR-CDG-XXX - for ZYR-AMS-XXX you only collect the train ticket at ZYR, then visit the check-in desk at AMS)
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:52 pm

I do believe that between ZYR and CDG, the Air France passengers connecting to/from a flights have a dedicated car (the same where they load the luggage) and it is 1st class seating.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Lounges and bagages at Brussels-midi

In Brussels-Midi/Zuid railway station:
Air France passengers travelling in La Première or Business Class, as well as Club 2000, Flying Blue Platinum, Gold and Skyteam Elite Plus passengers have access to the Thalys Lounge.

Location: Brussels-Midi/Zuid railway station, Rue de l'Instruction 158, 1060 Brussels (only 50 meters from the Air France KLM Air&Rail Terminal)
Thalys Lounge open daily from 6 AM till 9:30 PM.

Baggage services
  • At Brussels-Midi/Zuid railway station WIBAG Company is offering an extended baggage porter service, available 7 days a week from 05:30 am to 10:30 pm.
- The fare is 5 EUR for the first bag and 2 EUR for any additional piece.
- Advance booking is recommended (but not compulsory).
- WIBAG is also providing other services like baggage wrapping/protection.

WIBAG contact:
phone +32 (0) 491 94 0405
email : [email protected]
  • At Brussels-Midi/Zuid railway station Air France KLM now offers baggage wrapping and/or porter service free of charge for La Première and Ultimate customers who start/end their journey in ZYR.
    The service will be proposed to eligible customers by check-in staff.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:12 am

"I do believe that between ZYR and CDG, the Air France passengers connecting to/from a flights have a dedicated car (the same where they load the luggage) and it is 1st class seating."

Yes, I think that is true for ZYR-CDG (this is a TGV service with a mostly dedicated "AF" coach). For ZYR/ZWE-AMS the train is a Thalys and seating is in 1st for business tickets and 2nd for Eco, seating spread throughout the train/no dedicated coach.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Watch out for luggage being wrongly labeled! I've taken the CDG-ZYR leg yesterday as part of a long-haul flight. At the check-in counter at the outstation, I've noticed that my luggage was labeled all the way to ZYR and I asked them to label to CDG, because ZYR doesn't have a luggage belt. They insisted in labeling to ZYR. On arrival at CDG, I was told to pick up my luggage, which wasn't at the belt of course. Now 27h later, luggage still hasn't arrived (though will be delivered by a courier today).
Old Aug 14, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Hi,
Does anyone know how long before departure at the earliest a ticket can be collected at the AF desk at Brussels Midi?
Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:43 am

Hello,

The deadline for AIR&RAIL check-in is 15 mins without checked luggage, 30 mins with it.

As conflicting information regarding this service is found on the forum, let's make it clear : Air France has two train collaborations : Train + Air (to anywhere on the french network) and AIR&RAIL (to Brussels.)

This is so confusing, that the official ADP website gets it wrong, the Platinum service line gets it wrong and even the AF app and website gets it wrong (by telling you, you will be in 2nd class) !

Since this topic is related to AIR&RAIL, let's note that : This service is specific to BELGIUM trips only.

(Info is from an internal service line sticker regarding AIR&RAIL available to AF/KL agents, last updated 10th of August 2023)

When you travel from Brussels (ZYR, Bruxelles-midi) to anywhere via Paris CDG :
  • On this service you will always travel in 1st class, regardless of travel class you connect with (Y/W/J/P). (1-2 configuration, no food service).
  • Check-in counters are located on the north - western hall of the station.
  • Counter opens at 05:45am and closes at 6pm or 7pm (depending on season/last train).
  • Ticketing is available too.
  • Members eligible for SkyPriority have access to the THALYS Lounge, located across the street.
  • La Premiere passengers are offered breakfast at the Pullman hotel if time permits.
  • Your train will always depart from platforms 3, 4, 5 or 6.
  • The train sector uses flight number starting with AF71/72+2 digits or AF61+2 digits.
  • Travel time is always 1 hour and 36 minutes.
  • From Brussels to CDG, train always depart at the hour + 17, six times a day at 07:17, 08:17. 10:17, 13:17, 16:17 and 18:17.
-
When you travel from Paris CDG to Bruxelles-midi (ZYR) :
  • At the CDG Terminal 2 train station, locate the AIR&RAIL offices, you will get your train ticket there. SNCF will not be able to help you with this type of booking.
  • On this service too, you will always travel in 1st class, whether you landed in Y, W, J or P (1-2 configuration, no food service).
  • From CDG to Brussels, trains currently depart at 08:07, 10:37, 13:07 (longer route), 16:07, 19:07 and 21:08.
  • Travel time is always 1 hour and 36 minutes except train AF7183 (13:07) that uses a different line and stops in Picardie, this one takes 2 hours and 26 minutes.
  • Under certain circumstances (delays), or long wait, pax eligible for SkyPriority will be offer a voucher to use at the Sheraton hotel restaurant and bar.-
-
That's if your connecting flight is operated by Air France, from CDG. If by KLM from/to AMS, that's another story, that involves Thalys trains. Thalys are much more frequent and easy to understand. Travel class varies according to class of flight only. With Thalys you can also connect at AMS with AM, DL, ET, KL, MH, QR, RJ, SQ, SN, SA, TK and UA.

Remember that in France, they are very strict about boarding time and you cannot show up on the platform one minute before departure. Be at the station at least 30 minutes before departure, it is recommended to board (that's the term they use to actually refer to the time when to access the platform) up to 15 minutes before departure (except in ZYR where no one checks), accessing the platform later is not guaranteed, and 5 minutes before departure it will be impossible to access the platform at all (gates closed by staff.)
-
  • On these routes, you will not be able to check-in online for this sector and will not receive an online boarding pass. Instead you will have a pre-check-in confirmation. Except if you are traveling to TLV, out of T1, on a DL-codeshared flight, if your booking includes a connection longer than 24h or shorter than 1h40 or if you are traveling with an animal. In these cases, you won't be able to do anything at all, until you are at the train station.
-
Interesting to know : Air France will not let you check-in online from ZYR (Bruxelles-midi) because BRU/ZYR is known to be a very cheap starting point for flight bookings (because of the Belgian market targets), resulting in fares from ZYR to be 10 to 60% cheaper than booking originating from CDG or AMS. They want to make sure that you play fair, and that pax actually travel from/to Brussels, avoiding pax ghosting this sector. Something they're, so far, not able to verify on sectors from CDG to ZYR.

You can find extensive info about Bruxelles-Midi (Zuid in dutch), here.

If you are in Brussels, find your platform here. Do not use B-International, as the website is unreliable for these specific trains.

These trains do not end or originate at CDG, they continue/originate to/at LYON (TGV 9844), RENNES (?), NANTES (?), MONTPELLIER (TGV 9836, 9812, 9826) STRASBOURG (TGV9874) and MARSEILLE (TGV 9830).

Enjoy your trip, enjoy Belgium,

And don't get too excited, because there is nothing 1st class about french trains.

Last edited by on.the.bowery; Feb 22, 2024 at 8:43 pm
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:38 pm

Very good summary of the important points. Just one information to add. In case you are late (which has happened to me as my Belgian train to ZYR was heavily delayed) the staff will print out your boarding pass and hand it to you directly on the platform just before the departure of the train. Very nice and helpful gesture which saved my journey with AF.

Last edited by hagi; Aug 15, 2023 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 15, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Many thanks to both of you for your valuable input. I read that it's also possible to check-in baggage on the day before the train departure until 3pm. Is the boarding pass issued at the time of the baggage drop-off or is it also necessary to show up on the day of the departure at the counter?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Also note that the Brussels system is very similar to the Strasbourg system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.