Wiki Posts
Search

Osaka in J: KLM or AF?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Osaka in J: KLM or AF?

Any recommendations for business class on a direct flight to Osaka (KIX)?
AMS-KIX on KLM 777
CDG-KIX on AF 787

AF J class seems to have direct aisle access for everyone. Which is a plus point.
But to connect to CDG from home airport LBA, I would have to go via AMS anyway. Though MAN-CDG-KIX may be an option to consider.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Worth taking the train over to MAN for the much better reverse herringbone seats on AF
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I think indeed you have to weigh the direct access versus the more indirect route via AMS and PAR on AF....which will give you more XPs, if that is relevant for you. But then KLM will earn you this all famous 'huisje'. I'v been on AFs reverse herringbone and the KL product and felt fine on both - but that is my personal experience.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Departing from MAN, I could try both carriers:
MAN-CDG-KIX on AF
KIX-AMS-MAN on KLM
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mikem004
Departing from MAN, I could try both carriers:
MAN-CDG-KIX on AF
KIX-AMS-MAN on KLM
I like the idea of trying both products and it sounds like something I would do. If flying by yourself though, the direct aisle access of AF would be nice.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
To add another reason to prefer the AF flight, the 787 is a more quiet and more comfortable plane than the 777, due to many factors, including the higher cabin pressure and higher humidity. I personally would prefer that... even at the cost of risking a connection in CDG ;-)
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
There are 4 seats out of 6 in each row with aisle access on KLM, 2 of which without neighbour having to walk over your legs to access the aisle.

So this aisle access thing should not be a problem.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by carnarvon
There are 4 seats out of 6 in each row with aisle access on KLM, 2 of which without neighbour having to walk over your legs to access the aisle.

So this aisle access thing should not be a problem.
The "aisle access thing" is not just OP's ability to secure one, it also is a stranger at the window trying to climb over while OP might be in lay-flat position asleep.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Though the 787 has reverse herringbone, I find the diamond seats to be more comfortable and spacious in the KLM 777
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
I think KLM is fine for a day flight, but I find the AF seats are more comfortable for sleeping and I suppose you want to sleep as you'll be arriving to Osaka early in the morning. Very little room for your feet with KLM, and you also have more space around you to put things on AF.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:07 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Gig103
The "aisle access thing" is not just OP's ability to secure one, it also is a stranger at the window trying to climb over while OP might be in lay-flat position asleep.
Hence my writing "2 of which without neighbour having to walk over your legs to access the aisle."
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wunk
I find the diamond seats to be more comfortable and spacious in the KLM 777
I'll second that.

I may well be the odd man out here, but I have yet to come across a herringbone seat that I like.

Johan
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate Platinum for Life/Club 2000, UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mikem004
Any recommendations for business class on a direct flight to Osaka (KIX)?
AMS-KIX on KLM 777
CDG-KIX on AF 787

AF J class seems to have direct aisle access for everyone. Which is a plus point.
But to connect to CDG from home airport LBA, I would have to go via AMS anyway. Though MAN-CDG-KIX may be an option to consider.

Most definitely the AF flight from CDG. The 787 offers a much better air quality, cabin pressure and humidity wise. The J meal and wine selection are also better, compared with KL. Not too long ago, AF was testing on that route an enhanced meal service, whereby the entree is plated just like in P. Not sure whether they still offer it though.

Macaron54
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Wunk
Though the 787 has reverse herringbone, I find the diamond seats to be more comfortable and spacious in the KLM 777
They are more comfortable, yes. And IMO they are more private in the sleeping configuration, too, as even on the aisle you are less exposed to that aisle at the head-end.

No direct aisle-access is a slight bummer for 2 out of the 6 seats in a row but IMO made up for in added comfort.

(If only KL had gone for the BE/A Apex suite, we wouldn't have been having this conversation).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat for Life, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Accor Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Agree on the extra-comfort provided by choosing the 787.
Plus, the food and booze offering are consistently way better on AF IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.