Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Burned by FB. What to do now?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I don’t think Chase should even partner with FB if there are all these hidden strings attached.

sorry OP.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Frankly, your attempted transaction is heavily suspicious of bartering awards.
Some airlines are more ferocious about it than others, but FB of AFKL is.
There have been many posts about using a FB account without any activity, transfering miles from a cc and using them to book awards for unrelated persons.
Unless you can establish that the persons are related to you, one way or the other, you risk losing that FB account.
Of course, if you wished to use the miles for yourself, that might be a way out of this jam.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:04 pm
formerly willbbiddy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Frankly, your attempted transaction is heavily suspicious of bartering awards.
Some airlines are more ferocious about it than others, but FB of AFKL is.
There have been many posts about using a FB account without any activity, transfering miles from a cc and using them to book awards for unrelated persons.
Unless you can establish that the persons are related to you, one way or the other, you risk losing that FB account.
Of course, if you wished to use the miles for yourself, that might be a way out of this jam.
It's for my 2 cousins, one of their wives, and the others girlfriend. Also my parents had legal custody of the 2 cousins until they were 18. Again, why not just spell this out on the FB site like KE does? I would have gone through KE, but the girlfriend wouldn't be able to be booked that way and I would of had to split them up so I used FB specifically because this is admissible.

Last edited by BirdLawyer; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:37 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
KLM had a rule that required the FB member to be flying the same itinerary as the person using the award. I'm not sure if they still have that rule or not but it makes sense to prevent fraud and selling awards. Check out the rules applicable today by visiting their site. Based on the other comments you made it sounds like you didn't check any rules before transferring points. Were you on the same itinerary?

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; Jun 13, 2018 at 5:45 pm
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by willbbiddy
Is it possible that FB can force a booking if it turns out that my transaction was completely legit and it was there fault for canceling the hold? That would be quite the pleasant surprise.
Very unlikely. Do not count on it.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
KLM had a rule that required the FB member to be flying the same itinerary as the person using the award. I'm not sure if they still have that rule or not but it makes sense to prevent fraud and selling awards. Check out the rules applicable today by visiting their site. Based on the other comments you made it sounds like you didn't check any rules before transferring points.
this rule does not exist anymore for years.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by Goldorak

this rule does not exist anymore for years.
Thanks for the rule update.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:20 pm
formerly willbbiddy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Thanks for the rule update.
I quoted the FB terms above, and have said that this is specifically why I went with flying blue over KE Skypass. This is what bothers me about my current situation.

If if anyone has any further input on my specific situation I’d appreciate it, but I do not want this thread to devolve into people bickering about the ins and outs of the FB program.

I hope that that my responses have clearly shown that this is a legitimate transaction, and I am only looking for advice on how to move forward. Thank you to all who have tried to address my problems and concerns. I will be sure to post a follow up to how this all ends.

Update: FB contacted me by email today asking for my ID and a copy of my FB card (I sent them a screenshot as I do not have a physical one) as well as asking if the people I was trying to book the award for were who I intended to book and if I was receiving compensation for it (the answers are yes and no respectively). They said they will get back within 24hrs. Let’s hope they honor the original booking, but I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited by BirdLawyer; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
For what purpose? No airport station can handle mileage fraud cases.
SOP for customers in the OP's position - booking tickets for third parties from "clean skin" accounts never used to accrue miles by normal.earning methods - is to attend an AF ticket desk in person to have the ticket/FB account suspension lifted.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by irishguy28
SOP for customers in the OP's position - booking tickets for third parties from "clean skin" accounts never used to accrue miles by normal.earning methods - is to attend an AF ticket desk in person to have the ticket/FB account suspension lifted.
Possibly, but I've never had an airport station help me with an account problem, rather than a ticketing problem.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's for my 2 cousins, one of their wives, and the others girlfriend. Also my parents had legal custody of the 2 cousins until they were 18. Again, why not just spell this out on the FB site like KL does? I would have gone through KL, but the girlfriend wouldn't be able to be booked that way and I would of had to split them up so I used FB specifically because this is admissible.
I think that you confuse KL and KE. FB is the unique program of both KL and AF.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Going to an airport served by AFKl is an additional hoop imposed, but it does not insure that the tickets will be issued.
I am afraid that the burden of the proof is now on the side of the OP. AFKL want to make it difficult/costly for someone to sell award tickets.
But maybe, FB will clear the account and the OP will then have to negotiate with them to reinstate a booking.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:39 am
formerly willbbiddy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I think that you confuse KL and KE. FB is the unique program of both KL and AF.
You are correct, and I’ve edited to reflect as such. KAL=\=KL lol
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct, and I’ve edited to reflect as such. KAL=\=KL lol
rather than editing an old post with new information about your contacts with FB (UPDATE), I would suggest that you do it in timely posts. That helps follow the timeline of your relation with FB.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Possibly, but I've never had an airport station help me with an account problem, rather than a ticketing problem.
I am not recommending that you or anyone else attends an AF ticket desk on your own initiative to resolve an FB account problem.

However, we have had numerous reports through the years where people reporting the same issue as the OP were asked to attend an AF ticket office to "prove" their case

That these people invariably lived nowhere near an AF ticket desk led to further complaints. Perhaps they have changed their procedure as a result.

But now you know why the other poster suggested what they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.