Wiki Posts
Search

Question about refund

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Question about refund

Need advice from the gurus. I was victim of the last "great offer" of AF La premiere, and after back and forth managed to get refunded. However, I just noticed that due to the currency conversion I have lost around 50 EURO. Can I complain about this or should I just swallow the pill ??

Last edited by toastedcafe; May 28, 2018 at 2:33 pm Reason: wrong amount
Old May 28, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
That is your own risk.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
That is your own risk.
Thought so, thanks
Old May 28, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Need advice from the gurus. I was victim of the last "great offer" of AF La premiere, and after back and forth managed to get refunded. However, I just noticed that due to the currency conversion I have lost around 50 EURO. Can I complain about this or should I just swallow the pill ??
50 (five zero) Euro

That is quite a significant amount of money.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
50 (five zero) Euro

That is quite a significant amount of money.
It is, but when you consider the ticket was probably in the range of 1000s of Euros, it probably is a very small percentage.
I once lost around 20€ for booking a ~2000€ ticket in ZAR and asking for a refund within 24hrs, and that was a well known risk for me when I booked the ticket.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Ditto
It is, (...)
I had meant it to be humorous.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
You can sometimes ask your card issuer to refund the difference. You can always try... I suppose the result depends on whatever insurance is attached to the card.
Some would argue that Air France (or Delta, if they issued the ticket) are liable for the rate difference as well, but that's an uphill battle.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Some would argue anything.

OP chose to pay with a card issued in some other currency. Unless there is some fraud by the merchant vendor, e.g. AF, or the card issuer (bank), an individual's choice to play currency arbitrage is not something I would expect either AF or the bank or either's insurer to cover.

Put another way, if the conversion had worked in OP's favor, would he come here to ask what he ought to do with the extra funds? or would AF be justified in refunding less because it all works out to what OP paid in another currency.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

OP chose to pay with a card issued in some other currency. Unless there is some fraud by the merchant vendor, e.g. AF, or the card issuer (bank), an individual's choice to play currency arbitrage is not something I would expect either AF or the bank or either's insurer to cover.

Put another way, if the conversion had worked in OP's favor, would he come here to ask what he ought to do with the extra funds? or would AF be justified in refunding less because it all works out to what OP paid in another currency.
Lets hope the next time, the conversion favours me :-)
Old May 29, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Lets hope the next time, the conversion favours me :-)
The exchange rate used by credit cards can be quite bad. Even if the market exchange rate remains the same. you are bound to lose money.

Last edited by brunos; May 29, 2018 at 8:24 am
Old May 29, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
The exchange rate used by credit cards can be quite bad. Even if the market exchange rate remains the same. you are bound to lose money.
That's not strictly correct, the cards use the Visa/Mastercard rate (not sure for AMEX) which is pretty darn close to the interbank rate. They then add their own exchange fee, typically 0-3%, however if a refund is processed then the fee they added on gets refunded.

Even with a 3% fee it still beats most typical routes of getting foreign currency.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Often1

OP didn't specify why he received the refund, but if there was some fault on AF side, he could ask for them to issue an extra refund, I once had that done with Hertz when they charged me twice for a pre-paid rental and the difference was around 10€.

Originally Posted by Solevita
That's not strictly correct, the cards use the Visa/Mastercard rate (not sure for AMEX) which is pretty darn close to the interbank rate. They then add their own exchange fee, typically 0-3%, however if a refund is processed then the fee they added on gets refunded.
Same is for Amex, and over the years more than once I received a refund which was therefore more than the original transaction.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ditto
OP didn't specify why he received the refund, but if there was some fault on AF side, he could ask for them to issue an extra refund, I once had that done with Hertz when they charged me twice for a pre-paid rental and the difference was around 10€.

Same is for Amex, and over the years more than once I received a refund which was therefore more than the original transaction.
Apples and oranges.

Analogies almost never work.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Solevita

Even with a 3% fee it still beats most typical routes of getting foreign currency.
Either way, you get to lose between 1 and 3% (probably worst is AMEX).
It is indeed cheaper than cash transaction but still a "fee".
My usual VISA credit card does not have the mechanism you describe. It use an exchange rate without a fee, but that rate is 1+% away from the mid-market rate. No other fee. AMEX is much worse. As an aside, my VISA card adds a transaction fee of 1% when the transaction is in its base currency (HKD) but processed in another country (for example on some internet website purchase). But that does not involve a foreign exchange transaction. I believe that VISA cards throughout the world can have different arrangements.

There are special arrangement for cancellation of a transaction (say he paid in USD but his card is in EUR). But in the OP case, he paid and was subject to the "bad" exchange rate. Then he later got a USD fund transfer of the initial USD amount that the credit card transferred in EUR at their ongoing exchange rate..
Old May 31, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
Either way, you get to lose between 1 and 3% (probably worst is AMEX)..
Not on every card in every country. There are some Visa or Mastercard cards on the UK market that do not add their own loading to currency exchange so that the exchange rate that you get is the Visa or Mastercard wholesale rate. Now the Visa and Mastercard wholesale rates may well themselves include some element of remuneration for Visa and Mastercard but I would be very surprised if it were anywhere near 1%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.