Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting free upgrades on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AF 001
Personally I feel a bit stupid when paying around 3000 Euros or more for a ticket in J and getting a neighbor (after doors have been closed) who apparently paid something around 300 to 500 Euros only or less
Commercial passengers routinely pay vastly different prices to be seated in the same cabin.. If it bothers you to be a passenger seated next to another that has paid a fraction of the price of his/her neighbour, then I suggest that you refrain from setting foot on a commercial aircraft even those of companies that have restrictive policies towards staff upgrades..
not2017 and julien2062 like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Some...
Originally Posted by NickB
Commercial passengers routinely pay vastly different prices to be seated in the same cabin.. If it bothers you to be a passenger seated next to another that has paid a fraction of the price of his/her neighbour, then I suggest that you refrain from setting foot on a commercial aircraft even those of companies that have restrictive policies towards staff upgrades..
May I add : "and don't walk in any hotel?"
NickB likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsfr
I know there are still companies that don't have Team members - only employees
David Brent could not have said it better himself. Companies that have team members and not employees are great open door environments where everybody sings from the same hymn sheet and nobody is out of the loop (after all there is no I in team), where one feels free to take things offline with fellow team-members who all work hard and play hard, where all engage in value-adding though showers where we run ideas up the flagpole to promote blue-sky thinking after all the low hanging fruits have been harvested, resulting in customer-centric game-changing solutions which we can all double-click on. We can then high five each other for getting it in the back of the net.

Then again, some might think that there is some merit in avoiding corporate jargon so how about actioning the project of parking office speak in the long grass?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: FB Platinum LT, HK Airlines whatever, Skywards Ex-Gold :-)
Originally Posted by FranckM
The grass is always greener the seat next to you ?
I don't see where is the problem with that if the quality of service for the class you have paid for is achieved.
Does the guy with a full J fare deserve more than you when you travel with a discounted Z Business Fare ?
As long the upgrade is processed at check in does not matter for me who gets an upgrade, there is no "right" for anyone, but it is simply annoying to watch the F&F game on board! And yes, I think it is an insult for everyone else in the cabin. The passengers travelling on staff tickets with Air France & KLM have the option to pay for a seat in BC for a very decent amount (if there is availability), so what is the point? AF don´t want upgrade Frequent Flyers, so they do not devaluate their product, fine, I can understand that. But don´t you think it will not devaluate the product if the half cabin is witnessing the movements after the doors are closed whilst the crew can upgrade their relatives and friends as they wish...?
Talking about quality, well, when those people then get on top First Class Food and Champagne served from upfront, yes, I agree, then the grass on that seat is obviously more green :-) ! Not to forget the mysterious filled AF plastic bags handed out to some of those "special passengers" before landing, stuffed with Champagne / Wine, Snacks and so on. I witnessed this couple of times already, it is a common habit. I simply think that’s not right versus the other passengers, regardless if they travel in a full First Class or in the lowest Economy Class Fare, because in the end all of us are paying for this 'special attention' to those exclusive circle.
not2017, Wunk and KLBGO like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: FB Platinum LT, HK Airlines whatever, Skywards Ex-Gold :-)
I hope my last post clarifies my thoughts :-)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AF 001
I hope my last post clarifies my thoughts :-)
It does. I must say that I could not care less that FnF get free upgrades and do not perceive even a figment of a fraction of a soupcon of an idea of a remote impression of insult as long as this is done discreetly, the upgradees behave themselves with proper decorum and discretion and the cabin crew do not neglect their duties to other passengers by looking after mates. When either of those 3 things to not happen, then it does become much more problematic.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some might think that there is some merit in avoiding corporate jargon
Really?

I just got an e-mail from Team Torpedo's Scrum Master, inviting my to a Skype meeting to "Improve visual look of TTB Cow"

I know that our Scrum Masters have been multiplying faster than rabbits recently, but as for the rest I'm completely baffled! Not sure why we need torpedoes, or where that cow is.

Johan
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AF PL/A|Club PL/TK E
They do seem to upgrade easily, but only for the employee's family members who hold special "free" tickets, sometimes a box of chocolate to the pursuer is the key to their upgrades on board. A friend of mine married to an Air France flight attendant gets upgraded almost every time to business and some long haul even to the first class, and even with her 3 kids!!!

Compared with the experience of most actually paying elite/elite+ customers, myself included, I have NEVER EVER been upgraded by Air France alternating platinum and gold status for almost 10 years, NEVER! The only 2 rare times, when I got upgraded were with KLM long-haul flights, and I was at platinum.

Given the constant work strike situation of Air France, recent devaluation of the flying blue miles, the recent chaos they have created in award tickets booking system and purposefully eliminating the calendar view to discourage the client from searching the right tickets, I would be a masochist if I stay loyal to this company!
olivedel, newflyer27 and KLBGO like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
It's a complete disgrace. I am considering just buying a Priority Pass, to get lounge access, and forget about airline loyalty completely. The 2 minutes earlier boarding the plane doesn't really get me anywhere anyhow.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Not only I see frequently the upgrade trick still in place and happening right in my nose, but staff members still seated in Y in medium-haul receive a way better treatment, such as a glass of champagne.
I do not see the efforts of the "Signatures de service" program carried over (no more nice welcome words to Platinum members for example in medium-haul).
Back to the older habits.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by olivedel
Back to the older habits.
+1

My latest commutes on the so-called premium SIN-CDG route now look like a common (and GP-favorite) BKK one.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat
I have been upgraded to Business once on a AMS->ORD flight when I was Ivory in 2016. I am now Platinum and just got upgraded from Y to Business on a short-haul AMS->MAN flight. We were (at least) 6 to get upgraded, we ended up being 7 pax in Business, Y was full.
​​​
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olivedel
Not only I see frequently the upgrade trick still in place and happening right in my nose,
One of the KL cabin crew unions is complaining on its website that the airline's policy of selling any vacant J seat at a discount at OLCI, the gate or on board is greatly reducing the number of seats that non-revs can lay their grubby hands on.

Even worse, KL is now pre-assigning seats in economy to deadheading crew, instead of seating them in business. This, the union whinges, means the crew will arrive tired and unfit for duty.

Johan
Xizm likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: Many

Something AF cabin crew unions are not complaining yet, too busy they are striking.
Also the recent increase of OLCI upgrade prices might have freed some seats for them eventually.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by johan rebel
One of the KL cabin crew unions is complaining on its website that the airline's policy of selling any vacant J seat at a discount at OLCI, the gate or on board is greatly reducing the number of seats that non-revs can lay their grubby hands on.

Even worse, KL is now pre-assigning seats in economy to deadheading crew, instead of seating them in business. This, the union whinges, means the crew will arrive tired and unfit for duty.

Johan

Do you have a source for this? I checked the website of the VNC but couldn’t find anything about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.