FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   Which FF program for crediting cheap Air France/KLM fares ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/1512405-ff-program-crediting-cheap-air-france-klm-fares.html)

MasterGeek Oct 15, 2013 1:51 pm

Which FF program for crediting cheap Air France/KLM fares ?

Hi,

What's the best FF program for crediting cheap economy (fare code R) mileage from AF/KLM flights ?

From my little research:
Flying Blue: 25% mileage
Alaska Mileage Plan: 0% (fare code R not eligible)
Delta Skymiles: 100% (though "skypesos")

Any other suggestions ? I'm based in Canada

Thanks

irishguy28 Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Having a few R-class AF/KL flights is hardly the best basis for choosing a SkyTeam frequent flyer programme.

If you have only a few such flights, the amount of miles you earn will be trifling, and will not be worthwhile (you won't be able to do anything useful with such a small amount of miles).

If you expect that you may in future have more SkyTeam flying, then that is perhaps a better basis for choosing a programme. Be warned, for instance, that Flying Blue miles expire after 20 months of inactivity.

MasterGeek Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

OK. Well, I'll console myself in believing that I saved hard earned cash that is worth more than the miles I would have earned through a higher fare.

PHXflier Oct 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 21612336)
Hi,

What's the best FF program for crediting cheap economy (fare code R) mileage from AF/KLM flights ?
Any other suggestions ? I'm based in Canada

Thanks

As your travel will involve transatlantic flights, I would suggest crediting it to Delta SkyMiles. From Canada you can get reward flights to the US for 25K miles (after 3 transatlantic RTs) or to Europe for 60K miles if you book early or a week or so prior to travel and have some flexibility. SkyMiles do not expire currently. I know there are lots of SkyMiles haters, but I have flown the family to Europe annually on low award tickets for 20 years, so it really is not that bad if you know what to expect and how to book.

cfischer Oct 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Delta SM all the way. Yes, they can be hard to redeem, but if you are flexible there are many very nice options and you don't pay any YQ either ex-NA.

orbitmic Oct 20, 2013 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 21639544)
Delta SM all the way. Yes, they can be hard to redeem, but if you are flexible there are many very nice options and you don't pay any YQ either ex-NA.

+1. I'd personally go dl without a hesitation and stay as far away from fb as possible.

lewisc Oct 22, 2013 10:42 am

What is the process for getting Air France travel credited to Delta. Do you just put your DL SkyMiles number in the FF spot? Do you have to indicate it's Delta or does the number do it for you?

I know this is the wrong forum, is the procedure the same with AM?

Posters call them sky pesos, every-time I check availability of award seats from US to MX is just as (un)available as other routes.:)

Goldorak Oct 22, 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by lewisc (Post 21649426)
What is the process for getting Air France travel credited to Delta. Do you just put your DL SkyMiles number in the FF spot? Do you have to indicate it's Delta or does the number do it for you?

I know this is the wrong forum, is the procedure the same with AM?

Usually, you have a menu where you select the Airline/FFP and then an open field where you enter your FFP number.

olivedel Oct 24, 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by PHXflier (Post 21634440)
As your travel will involve transatlantic flights, I would suggest crediting it to Delta SkyMiles. From Canada you can get reward flights to the US for 25K miles (after 3 transatlantic RTs) or to Europe for 60K miles if you book early or a week or so prior to travel and have some flexibility. SkyMiles do not expire currently. I know there are lots of SkyMiles haters, but I have flown the family to Europe annually on low award tickets for 20 years, so it really is not that bad if you know what to expect and how to book.

Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for LH, MH or SH on Air France. Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.

irishguy28 Oct 24, 2013 8:35 am

Originally Posted by olivedel (Post 21661045)
Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for LH, MH or SH on Air France.

But be warned - Lufthansa (LH) and Malaysia Airlines (MH) flights cannot be credited to SkyMiles! Shorthaul flights on Air France can, however, be credited there...

bodory Oct 24, 2013 9:01 am

I think olivedel was referring to long-haul (LH) and medium-haul (MH)...

irishguy28 Oct 24, 2013 9:10 am

I know...but it's a pet peeve of mine to see longhaul etc capitalised when abbreviated.

olivedel Oct 24, 2013 3:21 pm

bodory was right, sorry for the incovenience.
So I can rephrase : Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for either long-haul, medium-haul or short-haul flights on Air France. Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.

orbitmic Oct 25, 2013 3:33 am

Originally Posted by olivedel (Post 21663385)
Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.

And that, by the way, emphasises yet again the complete idiocy of AF's decision on MiNi fares not crediting FB miles...

olivedel Oct 25, 2013 8:21 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 21665973)
And that, by the way, emphasises yet again the complete idiocy of AF's decision on MiNi fares not crediting FB miles...

Using dedicated fare buckets to handle MiNi fares and excluding them from earning in all SkyTeam FFP would have been more in line with AF MiNi strategy.