Which FF program for crediting cheap Air France/KLM fares ?

Old Oct 15, 13, 2:51 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,790
Which FF program for crediting cheap Air France/KLM fares ?

Hi,

What's the best FF program for crediting cheap economy (fare code R) mileage from AF/KLM flights ?

From my little research:
Flying Blue: 25% mileage
Alaska Mileage Plan: 0% (fare code R not eligible)
Delta Skymiles: 100% (though "skypesos")

Any other suggestions ? I'm based in Canada

Thanks
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Oct 15, 13, 2:57 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,088
Having a few R-class AF/KL flights is hardly the best basis for choosing a SkyTeam frequent flyer programme.

If you have only a few such flights, the amount of miles you earn will be trifling, and will not be worthwhile (you won't be able to do anything useful with such a small amount of miles).

If you expect that you may in future have more SkyTeam flying, then that is perhaps a better basis for choosing a programme. Be warned, for instance, that Flying Blue miles expire after 20 months of inactivity.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Oct 15, 13, 5:17 pm
  #3  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Posts: 1,790
OK. Well, I'll console myself in believing that I saved hard earned cash that is worth more than the miles I would have earned through a higher fare.
MasterGeek is offline  
Old Oct 19, 13, 1:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PHX
Programs: Delta 2M DM
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
Hi,

What's the best FF program for crediting cheap economy (fare code R) mileage from AF/KLM flights ?
Any other suggestions ? I'm based in Canada

Thanks
As your travel will involve transatlantic flights, I would suggest crediting it to Delta SkyMiles. From Canada you can get reward flights to the US for 25K miles (after 3 transatlantic RTs) or to Europe for 60K miles if you book early or a week or so prior to travel and have some flexibility. SkyMiles do not expire currently. I know there are lots of SkyMiles haters, but I have flown the family to Europe annually on low award tickets for 20 years, so it really is not that bad if you know what to expect and how to book.
PHXflier is offline  
Old Oct 20, 13, 5:12 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,497
Delta SM all the way. Yes, they can be hard to redeem, but if you are flexible there are many very nice options and you don't pay any YQ either ex-NA.
cfischer is offline  
Old Oct 20, 13, 5:49 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,549
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Delta SM all the way. Yes, they can be hard to redeem, but if you are flexible there are many very nice options and you don't pay any YQ either ex-NA.
+1. I'd personally go dl without a hesitation and stay as far away from fb as possible.
orbitmic is offline  
Old Oct 22, 13, 11:42 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,149
What is the process for getting Air France travel credited to Delta. Do you just put your DL SkyMiles number in the FF spot? Do you have to indicate it's Delta or does the number do it for you?

I know this is the wrong forum, is the procedure the same with AM?

Posters call them sky pesos, every-time I check availability of award seats from US to MX is just as (un)available as other routes.
lewisc is offline  
Old Oct 22, 13, 12:35 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Posts: 14,152
Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
What is the process for getting Air France travel credited to Delta. Do you just put your DL SkyMiles number in the FF spot? Do you have to indicate it's Delta or does the number do it for you?

I know this is the wrong forum, is the procedure the same with AM?
Usually, you have a menu where you select the Airline/FFP and then an open field where you enter your FFP number.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Posts: 1,489
Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
As your travel will involve transatlantic flights, I would suggest crediting it to Delta SkyMiles. From Canada you can get reward flights to the US for 25K miles (after 3 transatlantic RTs) or to Europe for 60K miles if you book early or a week or so prior to travel and have some flexibility. SkyMiles do not expire currently. I know there are lots of SkyMiles haters, but I have flown the family to Europe annually on low award tickets for 20 years, so it really is not that bad if you know what to expect and how to book.
Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for LH, MH or SH on Air France. Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.
olivedel is offline  
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:35 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,088
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for LH, MH or SH on Air France.
But be warned - Lufthansa (LH) and Malaysia Airlines (MH) flights cannot be credited to SkyMiles! Shorthaul flights on Air France can, however, be credited there...
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Oct 24, 13, 10:01 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mostly 🇸🇬 often 🇫🇷 or 🇭🇰
Programs: Many
Posts: 4,679
I think olivedel was referring to long-haul (LH) and medium-haul (MH)...
bodory is offline  
Old Oct 24, 13, 10:10 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Posts: 24,088
I know...but it's a pet peeve of mine to see longhaul etc capitalised when abbreviated.
irishguy28 is online now  
Old Oct 24, 13, 4:21 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Posts: 1,489
bodory was right, sorry for the incovenience.
So I can rephrase : Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for either long-haul, medium-haul or short-haul flights on Air France. Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.
olivedel is offline  
Old Oct 25, 13, 4:33 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 24,549
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.
And that, by the way, emphasises yet again the complete idiocy of AF's decision on MiNi fares not crediting FB miles...
orbitmic is offline  
Old Oct 25, 13, 9:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Posts: 1,489
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
And that, by the way, emphasises yet again the complete idiocy of AF's decision on MiNi fares not crediting FB miles...
Using dedicated fare buckets to handle MiNi fares and excluding them from earning in all SkyTeam FFP would have been more in line with AF MiNi strategy.
olivedel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread