Which FF program for crediting cheap Air France/KLM fares ?

Old Oct 15, 13, 2:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Which FF program for crediting cheap Air France/KLM fares ?

Hi,

What's the best FF program for crediting cheap economy (fare code R) mileage from AF/KLM flights ?

From my little research:
Flying Blue: 25% mileage
Alaska Mileage Plan: 0% (fare code R not eligible)
Delta Skymiles: 100% (though "skypesos")

Any other suggestions ? I'm based in Canada

Thanks
Old Oct 15, 13, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Having a few R-class AF/KL flights is hardly the best basis for choosing a SkyTeam frequent flyer programme.

If you have only a few such flights, the amount of miles you earn will be trifling, and will not be worthwhile (you won't be able to do anything useful with such a small amount of miles).

If you expect that you may in future have more SkyTeam flying, then that is perhaps a better basis for choosing a programme. Be warned, for instance, that Flying Blue miles expire after 20 months of inactivity.
Old Oct 15, 13, 5:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
OK. Well, I'll console myself in believing that I saved hard earned cash that is worth more than the miles I would have earned through a higher fare.
Old Oct 19, 13, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
Hi,

What's the best FF program for crediting cheap economy (fare code R) mileage from AF/KLM flights ?
Any other suggestions ? I'm based in Canada

Thanks
As your travel will involve transatlantic flights, I would suggest crediting it to Delta SkyMiles. From Canada you can get reward flights to the US for 25K miles (after 3 transatlantic RTs) or to Europe for 60K miles if you book early or a week or so prior to travel and have some flexibility. SkyMiles do not expire currently. I know there are lots of SkyMiles haters, but I have flown the family to Europe annually on low award tickets for 20 years, so it really is not that bad if you know what to expect and how to book.
Old Oct 20, 13, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Delta SM all the way. Yes, they can be hard to redeem, but if you are flexible there are many very nice options and you don't pay any YQ either ex-NA.
Old Oct 20, 13, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
Delta SM all the way. Yes, they can be hard to redeem, but if you are flexible there are many very nice options and you don't pay any YQ either ex-NA.
+1. I'd personally go dl without a hesitation and stay as far away from fb as possible.
Old Oct 22, 13, 11:42 am

What is the process for getting Air France travel credited to Delta. Do you just put your DL SkyMiles number in the FF spot? Do you have to indicate it's Delta or does the number do it for you?

I know this is the wrong forum, is the procedure the same with AM?

Posters call them sky pesos, every-time I check availability of award seats from US to MX is just as (un)available as other routes.
Old Oct 22, 13, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
What is the process for getting Air France travel credited to Delta. Do you just put your DL SkyMiles number in the FF spot? Do you have to indicate it's Delta or does the number do it for you?

I know this is the wrong forum, is the procedure the same with AM?
Usually, you have a menu where you select the Airline/FFP and then an open field where you enter your FFP number.
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Originally Posted by PHXflier View Post
As your travel will involve transatlantic flights, I would suggest crediting it to Delta SkyMiles. From Canada you can get reward flights to the US for 25K miles (after 3 transatlantic RTs) or to Europe for 60K miles if you book early or a week or so prior to travel and have some flexibility. SkyMiles do not expire currently. I know there are lots of SkyMiles haters, but I have flown the family to Europe annually on low award tickets for 20 years, so it really is not that bad if you know what to expect and how to book.
Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for LH, MH or SH on Air France. Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.
Old Oct 24, 13, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for LH, MH or SH on Air France.
But be warned - Lufthansa (LH) and Malaysia Airlines (MH) flights cannot be credited to SkyMiles! Shorthaul flights on Air France can, however, be credited there...
Old Oct 24, 13, 10:01 am

Programs: Many
I think olivedel was referring to long-haul (LH) and medium-haul (MH)...
Old Oct 24, 13, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know...but it's a pet peeve of mine to see longhaul etc capitalised when abbreviated.
Old Oct 24, 13, 4:21 pm

Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
bodory was right, sorry for the incovenience.
So I can rephrase : Having the two programs, I agree that DL SkyMiles is better if you buy cheap fares for either long-haul, medium-haul or short-haul flights on Air France. Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.
Old Oct 25, 13, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
Even MiNi credits well on SkyMiles.
And that, by the way, emphasises yet again the complete idiocy of AF's decision on MiNi fares not crediting FB miles...
Old Oct 25, 13, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
And that, by the way, emphasises yet again the complete idiocy of AF's decision on MiNi fares not crediting FB miles...
Using dedicated fare buckets to handle MiNi fares and excluding them from earning in all SkyTeam FFP would have been more in line with AF MiNi strategy.

Search this Thread