FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   carry-on allowance AF vs DL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/452359-carry-allowance-af-vs-dl.html)

alexn Jul 13, 2005 3:25 pm

carry-on allowance AF vs DL

I am DL Platinum, but travel frequently on Air France and I have been bothered by the following problem:
While Delta has a policy of 18kg maximum allowance for carry-ons, Air France has a 12Kg policy, which they seem to strictly enforce, especially on flights out of CDG. This can be an important difference for those who try to travel light so as to avoid checked (and lost/delayed) bags.
Any ideas on how to circumvent this limit on AF? Does AF have to honor the DL allowances if traveling on a ticket issued as DELTA on a code-shared AF flight?
Thank you for your comments/sugestions.

JOUY31 Jul 14, 2005 4:31 am

I am afraid that AF regulations will apply, just as I would not get my F+' successor Platinum 20kg extra baggage allowance on DL. Regarding the allowance for carry-ons, AF is not less generous than other European airlines. In coach on BA, the limitation is ... 6kg.

Braniff Jul 14, 2005 4:41 am

I think there are two considerations here:

First, France has gone on its highest state of terror alert (vigipirate rouge). This has been used at Terminal I (i.e. not the one Air France uses) to strictly enforce the one carry-on limit. This is not the individual airlines but rather the airport security that does this. I haven't travelled through Terminal II, under these circumstances but it must be similar... This, however, only applies to the number of pieces, they do not weigh them.

Second, in my experience what matters more than any airline policy is simply the nature of the gate agent that you are fortunate or unfortunate enough to be dealing with...

Good luck !

chrissxb Jul 14, 2005 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Braniff
I think there are two considerations here:

First, France has gone on its highest state of terror alert (vigipirate rouge). This has been used at Terminal I (i.e. not the one Air France uses) to strictly enforce the one carry-on limit. This is not the individual airlines but rather the airport security that does this. I haven't travelled through Terminal II, under these circumstances but it must be similar... This, however, only applies to the number of pieces, they do not weigh them.

Second, in my experience what matters more than any airline policy is simply the nature of the gate agent that you are fortunate or unfortunate enough to be dealing with...

Good luck !

AirFrance official info still says:

A few tips

· For your comfort and security, only carry one piece of baggage into the cabin.
· Do not travel with dangerous objects (firearms, knives, scissors, razor blades, etc.); they will be confiscated during security checks. Air France does not assume any responsibility for the loss or theft of such objects.
· The size and weight limitations described below apply to all service classes of Air France and its SkyTeam partners.

Carry-on baggage limitations

· Quantity: 1 baggage + 1 accessory (e.g. handbag, laptop computer, or camera).
· Total weight: 26.4 lbs (12 kg) maximum
· Dimensions: 45.2 in. (115 cm) – length + width + height = 45.2 in. (115 cm). These dimensions include wheels and handles.
http://www.airfrance.us/cgi-bin/AF/U...cekedfljdghm.0

and as Jouy31 said, there is extra allowance to AF Elites.
and KLM Elites, too (off course !!! ;) )

Braniff Jul 14, 2005 5:07 am

I should have been clearer: the vigipirate limits supersede the limits imposed by airlines (at least in Terminal I, in my own experience).

rcs85551 Jul 14, 2005 7:11 am

Originally Posted by JOUY31
I am afraid that AF regulations will apply, just as I would not get my F+' successor Platinum 20kg extra baggage allowance on DL. Regarding the allowance for carry-ons, AF is not less generous than other European airlines. In coach on BA, the limitation is ... 6kg.

As DL flies to/from the U.S., the weight concept does not apply. It is the piece concept @ 2 bags with max. 32kg each. Same as on AF/KL, elite or not. ;)

chrissxb Jul 14, 2005 7:37 am

Originally Posted by rcs85551
As DL flies to/from the U.S., the weight concept does not apply. It is the piece concept @ 2 bags with max. 32kg each. Same as on AF/KL, elite or not. ;)

for in cabine luggage?

rcs85551 Jul 14, 2005 9:03 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb
for in cabine luggage?

PE status at AF does not give you 20kg extra carry-on baggage, either.

JOUY31 Jul 14, 2005 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by rcs85551
PE status at AF does not give you 20kg extra carry-on baggage, either.

OK, I stand corrected. But the new status on F+'s successor is Platinum, not PE as in FD :D

Does the piece concept apply to DL domestic flights ?

hfly Jul 14, 2005 3:55 pm

Jouy, I too was perplexed by what you said as since the dawn of time you get 2 x 70 lbs on every single transatlantic flight on every single carrier (including AF), that however is checked in baggage. I should note that whether officially or not Delta will and has always allowed Plats on Af to get away with a third bag as well.

As for domestic, the limit is 50lbs for plebs, 70 lbs for First and elites, although w/o any of that if your domestic is part of an int'l ticket the 70 lbs per bag, two bag deal applies.

RJ Jul 14, 2005 11:53 pm

Is there a different carry-on guideline for AF Affaires passengers?