carry-on allowance AF vs DL

Old Jul 13, 05, 4:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Programs: AA,DL,UA/G, AF/P
Posts: 3
carry-on allowance AF vs DL

I am DL Platinum, but travel frequently on Air France and I have been bothered by the following problem:
While Delta has a policy of 18kg maximum allowance for carry-ons, Air France has a 12Kg policy, which they seem to strictly enforce, especially on flights out of CDG. This can be an important difference for those who try to travel light so as to avoid checked (and lost/delayed) bags.
Any ideas on how to circumvent this limit on AF? Does AF have to honor the DL allowances if traveling on a ticket issued as DELTA on a code-shared AF flight?
Thank you for your comments/sugestions.
alexn is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 5:31 am
  #2  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 12,264
I am afraid that AF regulations will apply, just as I would not get my F+' successor Platinum 20kg extra baggage allowance on DL. Regarding the allowance for carry-ons, AF is not less generous than other European airlines. In coach on BA, the limitation is ... 6kg.
JOUY31 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 5:41 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Europe
Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Posts: 2,737
I think there are two considerations here:

First, France has gone on its highest state of terror alert (vigipirate rouge). This has been used at Terminal I (i.e. not the one Air France uses) to strictly enforce the one carry-on limit. This is not the individual airlines but rather the airport security that does this. I haven't travelled through Terminal II, under these circumstances but it must be similar... This, however, only applies to the number of pieces, they do not weigh them.

Second, in my experience what matters more than any airline policy is simply the nature of the gate agent that you are fortunate or unfortunate enough to be dealing with...

Good luck !
Braniff is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 5:47 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SXB/MLH
Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 15,756
Originally Posted by Braniff
I think there are two considerations here:

First, France has gone on its highest state of terror alert (vigipirate rouge). This has been used at Terminal I (i.e. not the one Air France uses) to strictly enforce the one carry-on limit. This is not the individual airlines but rather the airport security that does this. I haven't travelled through Terminal II, under these circumstances but it must be similar... This, however, only applies to the number of pieces, they do not weigh them.

Second, in my experience what matters more than any airline policy is simply the nature of the gate agent that you are fortunate or unfortunate enough to be dealing with...

Good luck !
AirFrance official info still says:


A few tips

For your comfort and security, only carry one piece of baggage into the cabin.
Do not travel with dangerous objects (firearms, knives, scissors, razor blades, etc.); they will be confiscated during security checks. Air France does not assume any responsibility for the loss or theft of such objects.
The size and weight limitations described below apply to all service classes of Air France and its SkyTeam partners.



Carry-on baggage limitations


Quantity: 1 baggage + 1 accessory (e.g. handbag, laptop computer, or camera).
Total weight: 26.4 lbs (12 kg) maximum
Dimensions: 45.2 in. (115 cm) length + width + height = 45.2 in. (115 cm). These dimensions include wheels and handles.
http://www.airfrance.us/cgi-bin/AF/U...cekedfljdghm.0

and as Jouy31 said, there is extra allowance to AF Elites.
and KLM Elites, too (off course !!! )
chrissxb is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 6:07 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Europe
Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Gold, QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Posts: 2,737
I should have been clearer: the vigipirate limits supersede the limits imposed by airlines (at least in Terminal I, in my own experience).
Braniff is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 8:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Munich, Germany
Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 6,173
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I am afraid that AF regulations will apply, just as I would not get my F+' successor Platinum 20kg extra baggage allowance on DL. Regarding the allowance for carry-ons, AF is not less generous than other European airlines. In coach on BA, the limitation is ... 6kg.
As DL flies to/from the U.S., the weight concept does not apply. It is the piece concept @ 2 bags with max. 32kg each. Same as on AF/KL, elite or not.
rcs85551 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 8:37 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SXB/MLH
Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Posts: 15,756
Originally Posted by rcs85551
As DL flies to/from the U.S., the weight concept does not apply. It is the piece concept @ 2 bags with max. 32kg each. Same as on AF/KL, elite or not.

for in cabine luggage?
chrissxb is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 10:03 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Munich, Germany
Programs: LH HON, UA 1K, DL FO/MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 6,173
Originally Posted by chrissxb
for in cabine luggage?
PE status at AF does not give you 20kg extra carry-on baggage, either.
rcs85551 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 2:23 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Posts: 12,264
Originally Posted by rcs85551
PE status at AF does not give you 20kg extra carry-on baggage, either.
OK, I stand corrected. But the new status on F+'s successor is Platinum, not PE as in FD

Does the piece concept apply to DL domestic flights ?

Last edited by JOUY31; Jul 14, 05 at 2:26 pm
JOUY31 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 05, 4:55 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 14,501
Jouy, I too was perplexed by what you said as since the dawn of time you get 2 x 70 lbs on every single transatlantic flight on every single carrier (including AF), that however is checked in baggage. I should note that whether officially or not Delta will and has always allowed Plats on Af to get away with a third bag as well.

As for domestic, the limit is 50lbs for plebs, 70 lbs for First and elites, although w/o any of that if your domestic is part of an int'l ticket the 70 lbs per bag, two bag deal applies.
hfly is offline  
Old Jul 15, 05, 12:53 am
  #11  
RJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 42
Is there a different carry-on guideline for AF Affaires passengers?
RJ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: