Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joyu12
Orly FAQ - Updated May 23rd 23

This wikipost keeps track of the different changes at Orly and to provide guidance to passengers traveling through Orly.

Terminals:
Since end of March 19, the old names for the two Orly terminals (Ouest/West and Sud/South) have been changed and Orly reorganized into a single terminal with four departure areas.
They are as following:

Orly 1 (Ex Ouest Hall 1 & 2):
Orly 1 is comprised of two boarding areas and two check-in areas, which do not change from what people have seen with Halls 1 and 2. The distribution is as follows:

Boarding Area A:
Amelia, ITA, Iberia, Vueling, Air Malta, Chalair, Lufthansa
A contract lounge (accepts Priority Pass and SkyTeam credentials) is available downstairs by gates A01-A05 straight after security to the left.

Boarding Area B:
EasyJet, Air Europa, TAP

Orly 2 (Ex Ouest halls 3 & 4):
Halls 3 & 4 has been merged into a single boarding area, the C-Gates.

This boarding area is used by Air France, Air Corsica & ITA Airways. The AF Schengen lounge is located above gates C14 - C20. TAP & ITA Airways have check-in in Orly 2, Air France and Air Corsica have check-in in Orly 3.

Orly 3 (New junction building):
This building links Orly 1/2 (ex-West) and Orly 4 (ex-South). This departure area is comprised of a single check-in area and security filter, with the split between gates E (Schengen) and D (Non-Schengen) happening after security and shopping areas. All check-in ops happen in Orly 3 for Air France (Short/medium and long-haul), as well as Transavia.

Boarding Area D (Non-Schengen):
Transavia, Air France, Eastern Airways
Air France Lounge located on the floor above boarding level, accessible straight after passport control.

Boarding Area E (Schengen):
Transavia, Wizz Air

Orly 4 (ex-South):
This terminal has now become a primarily Non-Schengen terminal with the bulk of airlines operating non-schengen flights.

Boarding Area F (former A-Gates):
Royal Air Maroc, Azul Airlines, Corsair, Tunisair, TUIfly, Air Algerie, La Compagnie, Frenchbee, Air Caraibes

How do i transfer at Orly?
Due to Orly undergoing significant change with the new junction building, the transfers will become easier and finally airside connections will become possible. This section will therefore evolve as more information becomes available.

You are arriving at the A-Gates:
At the moment, only an A to A connection is possible airside. If connecting to another flight at the A-Gates, you will need to turn left and head upstairs if arriving at gates A12-A17 (this seems to be a temporary arrangement while construction is ongoing), or you will arrive directly into the gate area. If you leave from any other departure area, you must leave the secure area and re-clear security.

You are arriving at the B-Gates:
You will arrive directly on the upper level from which you can either head down to arrivals, or follow the signs towards the right for C (5 mins), D, E (10 mins) & F gates (15-20 mins). If connecting to a flight at the A-Gates, you must head down to arrivals, then back up to departures and re-clear security.

You are arriving at the C-Gates (Schengen)
You will arrive directly on the upper level from which you can either head down to arrivals, or follow the signs downwards for C (3 mins), or to the right for D, E (10 mins) & F gates (15-20 mins). If connecting to a flight at the A-Gates, you must head down to arrivals, then back up to departures and re-clear security.

You are arriving at the D-Gates (Non-Schengen)
You should arrive on the upper level directly where you will clear passport control. If connecting, follow signs and turn left in order to clear transfer security. You will then enter the secure area and can then head for your next departure area, B (10 mins), C (5 mins), D & E (2-3 mins) or F (10-15 mins). If connecting to a flight at the A-Gates, you must head down to arrivals, then back up to departures and re-clear security.

You are arriving at the E-Gates
You will arrive directly on the upper level from which you can either head down to arrivals, or follow the signs downwards for D, E (2-3 mins), onwards to C (5 mins), or to the right for F gates (15-20 mins). If connecting to a flight at the A-Gates, you must head down to arrivals, then back up to departures and re-clear security.

You are arriving at the F-Gates
More information is needed to confirm transfer process, expect to clear passport controls and head landside before reclearing security.

How to get to & from Orly?
Orly may be slightly less convenient to access by public transport, but is closer to Paris by car.

By Public Transport:

RER B + Orlyval:
This line, which links southern Paris and northern Paris, has several central stops in the city (Gare du Nord, Chatelet, Saint Michel, Denfert etc). Take the RER B to Antony, where you will then switch to the Orlyval, which stops in front of Orly 1 and Orly 4. The price for a Paris - Orly ticket + Orlyval is 12,1€. If you have a Navigo card, the RER B leg is included but you still need to buy a 2,80€ Orlyval ticket. Count 35-40 minutes from Chatelet to Orly. If transferring from Orly to CDG (or vice versa), count 75 minutes.

Metro 7 + Tramway 7:
This takes a bit more time from central Paris, but is convenient if you are directly on the Metro 7 line or are looking to get to Orly on the cheap. Take Metro 7 to Villejuif-Louis-Aragon and then change to Tramway 7 which goes all the way to Orly Airport.

(Opens spring 24) Metro 14:
20mn from Gare de Lyon to Orly directly on a standard 1,7€ metro ticket! Line 14 will arrive directly in the Orly 1 / 2 / 3 area in front of the P3 parking, and will be the quickest way to get to Central Paris to Orly, and will allow a new option for Orly to CDG connections. Scheduled to open spring 24 before the Olympics.

Orlybus:
RATP bus line from Denfert-Rochereau to Orly. Ticket price: 8,70€ (Navigo zones 1-4 passes accepted), leaves every 10 to 15 minutes. 25 to 35 min travel time.

Le Bus Direct:
Le Bus Direct service is now permanently discontinued, victim Covid-19.

By Car:
Several car parks are available at Orly and can be pre-booked. Travel time can vary wildly from central Paris, from 30 mins to 45 mins in normal conditions, and more if congestion is very bad. Always check a map app (Google Maps, Waze) for traffic info beforehand. Most of the big rental companies have a presence at Orly 1/2 and Orly 4.

By Taxi/Uber/VTC:
A taxi stand is available in front of Orly 1, Orly 3 and Orly 4. Uber and the other ride-sharing companies offer service to and from Orly. Taxis can be pre-booked from differents providers such as G7. There is a pick-up area for Orly 1/2, Orly 2/3 and Orly 4.
Print Wikipost

"New" Orly

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I am also confused. Not by your post, but by ADP. By their labelling logic. If in any case they have check-in areas labelled A-E, then why add another dimension, which is the numbers of "Orly x". And I cannot seem to find any comprehensive map that shows the location of every gate), only something that has an arrow pointing in the direction of the various gates. What makes it confusing is that there is no clear logic between the labels and Schengen vs. non-Schengen. Orly 1 has an A and a B pier, both of which are Schengen. Orly 2 has C gates, and is all non-Schengen. So far so good. But then Orly 3 has a Schengen and a non-Schengen part. To maintain that logic there should by an Orly 3 for either Schengen or non-Schengen. But no, Orly 3 is for both Schengen and non-Schengen. Where - just to make things really confusing - it is sharing the Schengen part with Orly 4, but not the non-Schengen part.

If there was a need for one more reason to privatise ADP there you have it. Being a privately run company that can afford to attract people with practical management skills and a clearly-structured view of things instead of bureaucrats with life-long jobs whose training was at some "Kafka School of Bureaucratic complication" with compulsory internships at CERFA and some other mindboggingly useless bureaucracy who produces nothing other than contradiction to other bureaucracies.

And I am confused by the AF move. I thought they'd stay where they are today. Which would be Orly 1B for domestic flights, with the domestic lounge right where it is now. And then Orly 2C for non-Schengen flights, with a lounge in that part of the airport. So why are they moving? Where to? Will there be a new lounge?
To add to the mess, Orly 2 is also comprised of a Schengen part, the former Hall 4, which on top is also labeled as C-gates!

AF will move long-haul to Orly 3 and select domestic (except Navette flights) flights, and all Corsica operations.

They are opening a temporary lounge on May 30th by gates E04/D11 (in the mixed schengen/non-schengen gates), and a full lounge in Q4 2019.

As for why they are moving, that i can't answer...
San Gottardo likes this.

Last edited by joyu12; May 14, 2019 at 7:51 am
Old May 14, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by joyu12
To add to the mess, Orly 2 is also comprised of a Schengen part, the former Hall 4, which on top is also labeled as C-gates!
Oh, I see. I have under-estimated the creativity of the bureucrats and their confused minds.

AF will move long-haul to Orly 3 and select domestic (except Navette flights) flights, and all Corsica operations.

They are opening a temporary lounge on May 30th by gates E04/D11 (in the mixed schengen/non-schengen gates), and a full lounge in Q4 2019.
Get it. So Air France will be operating from the B gates and the D gates and the E gates. Which will not exactly make connections easier. On top of that everybody has to know which destination is a Navette destination and which one is not. Which is not intuitive, because what makes a Navette destination be a Navette destination other than having been declared one by AF is unclear: flights no longer leave on a "same minute past the hour" on a more or less hourly (and at peak times half-hourly) pattern, so that can't be it. Number of flights? There are days when there are more flights to non-Navette Biarritz than to Navette Montpellier. I know, not dissimilar to the setup in the past, but a missed opportunity to make things simpler.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying.

Get it. So Air France will be operating from the B gates and the D gates and the E gates. Which will not exactly make connections easier. On top of that everybody has to know which destination is a Navette destination and which one is not. Which is not intuitive, because what makes a Navette destination be a Navette destination other than having been declared one by AF is unclear: flights no longer leave on a "same minute past the hour" on a more or less hourly (and at peak times half-hourly) pattern, so that can't be it. Number of flights? There are days when there are more flights to non-Navette Biarritz than to Navette Montpellier. I know, not dissimilar to the setup in the past, but a missed opportunity to make things simpler.
From what i understand though on airport maps that are on the Paris Aeroport website, there will be an airside connections corridor linking the B, C, D, E and F gates. Have been leaving from the A gates for the past few weeks (they moved Corsica flights out of C-gates while waiting for Orly 3 to be ready for AF ops) so have not been able to check whether that is actually open or under construction. If airside connections do indeed become a reality it would be the one good thing with this Orly makeover.

Link to the Orly 3 Transfer level map: https://www.parisaeroport.fr/docs/de...rsn=5208fbbd_2
Old May 14, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am also confused. Not by your post, but by ADP. By their labelling logic. If in any case they have check-in areas labelled A-E, then why add another dimension, which is the numbers of "Orly x". And I cannot seem to find any comprehensive map that shows the location of every gate), only something that has an arrow pointing in the direction of the various gates. What makes it confusing is that there is no clear logic between the labels and Schengen vs. non-Schengen. Orly 1 has an A and a B pier, both of which are Schengen. Orly 2 has C gates, and is all non-Schengen. So far so good. But then Orly 3 has a Schengen and a non-Schengen part. To maintain that logic there should by an Orly 3 for either Schengen or non-Schengen. But no, Orly 3 is for both Schengen and non-Schengen. Where - just to make things really confusing - it is sharing the Schengen part with Orly 4, but not the non-Schengen part.

If there was a need for one more reason to privatise ADP there you have it. Being a privately run company that can afford to attract people with practical management skills and a clearly-structured view of things instead of bureaucrats with life-long jobs whose training was at some "Kafka School of Bureaucratic complication" with compulsory internships at CERFA and some other mindboggingly useless bureaucracy who produces nothing other than contradiction to other bureaucracies.
We are talking about ADP, so don’t tell us you are surprised .
More seriously, as both former terminals were both Schengen and non-Schengen, regrouping all Schengen on one side and all non-Schengen on another side would have meant a complete restructuring of all airport and airlines operations and lounges. It would have made full sense of course, but I don’t think they were ready for this (yet ?).

And I am confused by the AF move. I thought they'd stay where they are today. Which would be Orly 1B for domestic flights, with the domestic lounge right where it is now. And then Orly 2C for non-Schengen flights, with a lounge in that part of the airport. So why are they moving? Where to? Will there be a new lounge?
Yes, there will be a new lounge end 2019 (see the wikipost in the lounge thread). The current non-Schengen lounge (ex-Hall 3 or Orly West) will close soon.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

AF has moved all long-haul and Corsica check-in from Orly 2 to Orly 3 as of today. Most Corsica flights are leaving from Orly 3 as of today, while a select few flights still leave from Schengen C-Gates. The Orly 2 (Former Hall 3) AF Lounge will close tonight May 22nd.

I am flying to BIA tomorrow, if i leave from Orly 3 i will post a few pictures of this new terminal
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

I am flying to BIA tomorrow, if i leave from Orly 3 i will post a few pictures of this new terminal
I had the pleasure of leaving and arriving through Orly 3 last week. Sorry - no pictures. My departure was at 16:45 and my flight was seemingly the only flight leaving Terminal 3. The terminal was absolutely empty. Not realistic conditions to judge a terminal by but it is light and breezy. Not overwhelmed with shopping - at least not yet. The only problem I encountered was on the return as there is no parking available at Terminal 3 for those picking up - you must park at Terminal 2. There was still constuction going on but not obvious if that was for future parking areas.

Old May 22, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Braniff
The only problem I encountered was on the return as there is no parking available at Terminal 3 for those picking up - you must park at Terminal 2. There was still constuction going on but not obvious if that was for future parking areas.
I am sure they build a parking when you see this huge hole in front of the new building.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I am sure they build a parking when you see this huge hole in front of the new building.
I don't know if they are building a parking, but they are definetly creating the huge hole to create the TGV train station and Line 14 Metro station.

I found this map on the Paris Aeroport website which looks like they will modify the access roads in order to change the drop-off zones and parkings

Goldorak likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Braniff
I had the pleasure of leaving and arriving through Orly 3 last week. Sorry - no pictures.
i made some pics , see there if someone want to take a look = https://flight-report.com/fr/report/...te-a-pitre-ptp
Braniff likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: FB Gold
^I've had only a few instances travelling thru ORY but the new terminal looks like a much-needed improvement.
Braniff likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Air France has announced the official start of service from Orly 3.

In their press release, in addition to long-haul and Corsica flights, Nantes and Lyon are also concerned by the move to Orly 3.

https://corporate.airfrance.com/fr/a...urriers-orly-3

Also, Flight-Report has published an article with details on the new Orly 3 lounge and pictures from the temporary lounge which seems surprisingly well done for a temporary affair!
https://blog.flight-report.com/fr/ex...france-a-orly/
Old May 29, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Air France has announced the official start of service from Orly 3.

In their press release, in addition to long-haul and Corsica flights, Nantes and Lyon are also concerned by the move to Orly 3.

https://corporate.airfrance.com/fr/a...urriers-orly-3

Also, Flight-Report has published an article with details on the new Orly 3 lounge and pictures from the temporary lounge which seems surprisingly well done for a temporary affair!
https://blog.flight-report.com/fr/ex...france-a-orly/
not bad indeed !
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
As I have a flight from ORY coming up I tried once more to understand the layout of the airport and any logic that might exist behind gate usage.

What I think understood and where I have questions:
  • A gates: used by Iberia, TAP, Vueling, Air Malta, and a very small number of AF flights operated by HOP regional planes (e.g., Toulon). Got it ^
  • B gates: located in the Northern "headhouse",the place where AF has always had its Navette operations. Used by Air France for domestic flights, both Navette and not, on Airbus planes. All domestic destinations except some - but not all - flights to Corsica. Air Corsica also has all of its flights here. Got it ^
  • C 14-20: these gates are non-Schengen, located in the Southern "headhouse". They used to be used by AF for long haul flights as well as BA/OpenSkies/LEVEL. Now they don't seem to be used any more at all ?
  • C11-12, C21-27: these are Schengen gates. Used for all Air Europa flights and a very small number of AF flights (some HOP regional jets, and some mainline flights to Corsica). But where are these gates physically located? They can't all be bus gates, so which jetty gates do these gates correspond to?
  • D gates: these are non-Schengen gates, located in the newly constructed building between what used to be Orly Ouest and Sud. They used by Air France long haul, LEVEL, Pegasus, and Transavia non-Schengen flights. Got it ^
  • E gates: these are Schengen gates, some of which are the same as the D gates but dual-use and located in the newly constructed building, plus some gates in the Western part of what used to be Orly Sud. Got it ^
  • F gates: these are non-Schengen gates, basically the gates that always used to be non-Schengen gates of Orly Sud, with all the occupants that were always there: Corsair, Air Caraibes, FrenchBee, Air Algerie, etc. ^
  • What I am also missing: which gates does easyjet use?
One of the keys to making sense of the new Orly layout is to forget about thinking that the land-side (Orly 1, 2, 3, 4) has any strict alignment with the airside (Gates A, B, C, D, E, F). Some do, some don't.

Which still leaves quite a bit of confusion, so if anyone has found out how this works I'd be curious to hear more about it. Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:41 am
Original Poster

As I have a flight from ORY coming up I tried once more to understand the layout of the airport and any logic that might exist behind gate usage.

What I think understood and where I have questions:
  • A gates: used by Iberia, TAP, Vueling, Air Malta, and a very small number of AF flights operated by HOP regional planes (e.g., Toulon). Got it ^
  • B gates: located in the Northern "headhouse",the place where AF has always had its Navette operations. Used by Air France for domestic flights, both Navette and not, on Airbus planes. All domestic destinations except some - but not all - flights to Corsica. Air Corsica also has all of its flights here. Got it ^
  • C 14-20: these gates are non-Schengen, located in the Southern "headhouse". They used to be used by AF for long haul flights as well as BA/OpenSkies/LEVEL. Now they don't seem to be used any more at all ?
  • C11-12, C21-27: these are Schengen gates. Used for all Air Europa flights and a very small number of AF flights (some HOP regional jets, and some mainline flights to Corsica). But where are these gates physically located? They can't all be bus gates, so which jetty gates do these gates correspond to?
  • D gates: these are non-Schengen gates, located in the newly constructed building between what used to be Orly Ouest and Sud. They used by Air France long haul, LEVEL, Pegasus, and Transavia non-Schengen flights. Got it ^
  • E gates: these are Schengen gates, some of which are the same as the D gates but dual-use and located in the newly constructed building, plus some gates in the Western part of what used to be Orly Sud. Got it ^
  • F gates: these are non-Schengen gates, basically the gates that always used to be non-Schengen gates of Orly Sud, with all the occupants that were always there: Corsair, Air Caraibes, FrenchBee, Air Algerie, etc. ^
  • What I am also missing: which gates does easyjet use?
One of the keys to making sense of the new Orly layout is to forget about thinking that the land-side (Orly 1, 2, 3, 4) has any strict alignment with the airside (Gates A, B, C, D, E, F). Some do, some don't.

Which still leaves quite a bit of confusion, so if anyone has found out how this works I'd be curious to hear more about it. Thanks
Almost right! In fact Air Europa and EasyJet stays at Orly 2 and the C gates (i don't know if EasyJet operates any non-schengen flights from Orly).
All AF/XK flights move away from C-gates, with AF/XK Corsica flights moving to Orly 3 and E-Gates, as well as AF flights to NTE and LYS (dont ask me why exactly these two). The remaining domestic AF flights are in Orly 1 A & B gates. Transavia also uses E gates for Schengen flights, making Orly 3 Schengen an almost pure AFKL Group affair (only 2-3 DY flights remain at E Gates with Orly 4 Check-in)

As for C gates, the schengen jettys C11 and C12 correspond to the old Hall 3 schengen shed (later connected to and made part of Hall 4), while C21, C22 and C23 are jetways located in Hall 4 but that could be used by heavies from Hall 3 when needed. The remaining C Schengen gates are bus gates.

Here is an image from Paris Aeroport showing the distribution of airlines:

Also this image does make it seem like Orly 2 (ex-Hall 3/4) will be converted into a pure Schengen terminal:

I hope this helps clear up ever so slightly the confusions, even though it does remain rather confusing
NickB, San Gottardo and Goldorak like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

I hope this helps clear up ever so slightly the confusions, even though it does remain rather confusing
Yes it does but the confusion is not due to you but to ADP and we truly appreciate your efforts to try to make it easier for the non-frequent travellers in ORY ^
Braniff and joyu12 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.