FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Wi-Fi on Air France A380 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1910447-wi-fi-air-france-a380.html)

puchong May 21, 2018 10:35 am

Wi-Fi on Air France A380

I will soon be flying on AF Business Class in a A380 from CDG to North America. Should I expect to get inflight Wi-Fi? If yes, what is the speed that one can reasonably expect to get? Comparable to transatlantic flights on LH, SK? Also, is this available free of charge to non-status Business Class passengers? If not, how much does one have to pay?

af fp May 21, 2018 10:56 am

There is no wi-fi on AF’s 380s.

San Gottardo May 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by af fp (Post 29778002)
There is no wi-fi on AF’s 380s.

actually there is no WiFi on almost all AF planes. Only exception are the B787 (but at least one of them is grounded), and one or two B777s who serve as test planes. Speed is comparable to others, which means it varies depending on where the plane is, number of active users, and other factors. Prices are insultingly high though on AF.

joyu12 May 22, 2018 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 29778459)

actually there is no WiFi on almost all AF planes. Only exception are the B787 (but at least one of them is grounded), and one or two B777s who serve as test planes. Speed is comparable to others, which means it varies depending on where the plane is, number of active users, and other factors. Prices are insultingly high though on AF.

Insultingly high and also data capped which is even more insulting

HalconBCN May 23, 2018 5:46 am

Originally Posted by puchong (Post 29777910)
I will soon be flying on AF Business Class in a A380 from CDG to North America. Should I expect to get inflight Wi-Fi? If yes, what is the speed that one can reasonably expect to get? Comparable to transatlantic flights on LH, SK? Also, is this available free of charge to non-status Business Class passengers? If not, how much does one have to pay?

Not having wifi means you can turn on the out of office, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight 😂

San Gottardo May 23, 2018 6:00 am

Originally Posted by HalconBCN (Post 29784924)
Not having wifi means you can turn on the out of office, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight 😂

You can also do that when there is WiFi on board.

Unless you are a slave to your device and feel that you have to use it only because it’s possible. But then your biggest problem isn’t WiFi on planes but your life on the ground, where there is connectivity everywhere and always and you won’t be able to switch off/disconnect/not reply to a call.

KLBGO May 23, 2018 4:43 pm

It's simply a disgrace that AF/KL doesn't offer Wifi onboard. Even the LCC Norwegian has free Wifi on board it's flights.

q May 25, 2018 8:47 am

Originally Posted by KLBGO (Post 29787529)
It's simply a disgrace that AF/KL doesn't offer Wifi onboard. Even the LCC Norwegian has free Wifi on board it's flights.

Very interesting. Free local WiFi should be quite easy. Are they also providing the satcom part for free? (If no ... then your statement above could be misleading)

joyu12 May 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by q (Post 29793234)
Very interesting. Free local WiFi should be quite easy. Are they also providing the satcom part for free? (If no ... then your statement above could be misleading)

It's free on all 737 flights (their longhaul fleet has not been equipped), which covers intra-Europe flights and US-Carribean flights, and will offer free wifi on their long-haul fleet once it is equipped. Row 44 equipped the 737 fleet with satelite internet a few years ago so i believe they only have a satelite connection.

Dlynch0104 Jun 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Any WiFi updates

Wondering If WiFi finally added on A380 AF65 Lax to Cdg ?

Dlynch0104 Jun 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Is this still true in 2019 ?

Goldorak Jun 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dlynch0104 (Post 31190505)
Wondering If WiFi finally added on A380 AF65 Lax to Cdg ?

Still no.

Dlynch0104 Jun 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Crazy ..How in 2019 a long haul flight offers no WiFi options ?

San Gottardo Jun 11, 2019 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Dlynch0104 (Post 31190748)
Crazy ..How in 2019 a long haul flight offers no WiFi options ?

While clearly WiFi is installed on more and more planes with more and more airlines, there still are many out there that do not offer it. The trend is there, but it's not yet the new normal. Air France doesn't have it on all planes, neither does KLM. British Airways, most planes don't have it. Alitalia, none. SAS, only on short haul I think. Cathay Pacifc, some planes. Airlines from Latin America, nothing. And so on...

I share your frustration, but those are the facts I am afraid.

Andy82 Jun 11, 2019 1:41 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo (Post 31190889)
While clearly WiFi is installed on more and more planes with more and more airlines, there still are many out there that do not offer it. The trend is there, but it's not yet the new normal. Air France doesn't have it on all planes, neither does KLM. British Airways, most planes don't have it. Alitalia, none.

Just a correction. Poor Alitalia has Wifi from Etihad era (or even before), I think on most wide body aircraft nowadays. Nothing to write home about, it's capped, and at least there is a minimal, free package for J / W passengers - https://www.alitalia.com/en_us/fly-a...-on-board.html