Search

AF strike 23 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
AF strike 23 March 2018

Better start a new thread with 23 March in title to alert non-frequent AF flyers.
AF unions are planning another strike on 23 March:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ai...-idUKKCN1GI2O5

The previous strike on 22 February grounded 50% of longhaul flights and some long delays on other Disturbances affected the next day for flights to CDG.
Apparently unions are also studying industrial action during the French Spring holidays in April..
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: FB Plat
I'm flying AMS > CDG > YVR that day. This should be fun.... I guess all I can do is cross fingers our flights aren't affected. Does anyone have experience with what happens when they strike? What action does AF take? For what it's worth, we have some crazy low J fares from some promo KLM had many, many months ago.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Since you depart from a wellconnected airport, a hub for a sister airline even, the simplest thing would be to put you on the direct KLM flight, if there is space available. Otherwise a TATL flight on KLM or Delta to some hub and a connection to YVR.

Unless you'd prefer to move your travel you different date.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:02 am

I'd assume they start making re-routing everyone, if possible, 24 hours before, no?

It'd be a shame as there's no direct flights on that day of the week on KLM. Plus, as we're based out of AMS, we've never had a chance to try AF in J. I was looking forward to experiencing that and the BEST seat. Our original inbound flight was a 787 which would have been a first too but they've already swapped that to a 777. Perhaps this trip just isn't meant to be as expected. As long as there's snow on the other end, I'll be happy.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NumbThumb
I'd assume they start making re-routing everyone, if possible, 24 hours before, no?

It'd be a shame as there's no direct flights on that day of the week on KLM. Plus, as we're based out of AMS, we've never had a chance to try AF in J. I was looking forward to experiencing that and the BEST seat. Our original inbound flight was a 787 which would have been a first too but they've already swapped that to a 777. Perhaps this trip just isn't meant to be as expected. As long as there's snow on the other end, I'll be happy.
AF tends to make rerouting/cancellation decisions more than 24 hours before, as staff are supposed to let them know of their intention to strike two days before.
A lot of things can happen till 23 March and industrial action might be cancelled. But February strike was massive for longhaul. Rerouting directly from AMS with KL and DL is clearly a possibility.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:55 am

And to add fun, some ATC unions are calling for a strike the day before, on March 22nd.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Porcepic
And to add fun, some ATC unions are calling for a strike the day before, on March 22nd.
Yes. that is a general public sector strike. This will also affect things like railways (and public transport to the airport).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold and Honors Gold
I'm really looking forward to next week and this strike. NOT! We have a flight on the 22nd and 23rd into France connecting longhaul with Air France.... We'll see what happens. Would be the second strike of Air France for me since last year.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta
I have upcoming travel on March 30, MPL - CDG on Air France, and CDG - BOS on Delta. Given that there is a call for a strike by AF staff on March 30, should I assume the MPL-CDG flight will likely be canceled, and make alternative arrangements? What about the long-haul Delta flight, is there a risk of disruption to that since Delta flights are often code shared with Air France and some of the crew may be from Air France? Will a strike of the AF ground crew affect the Delta flight?

Thanks for any advice. Apologies since this isn't about the March 23 strike per se; happy to start a new thread if that's more appropriate.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Indeed, AF unions seem to have voted for an additional strike on 30 March.
A bit sad that our local members do not keep us posted on strike announcements and developments.
Hard for foreign-based members to ascertain the risks.
I understand that AF does not wish to give publicity, but fellow FT members based abroad need assistance for their travel plans.
Given the uncertainty, I have decided to book my family's extensive travels during and after French Easter vacation away from AF. Costly decision but ...

Last edited by brunos; Mar 16, 2018 at 5:21 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:09 am

latest updates from France:
22 March: ATC on strike
23 March: Air France on strike. Pilots, FA, ... (Pilots threatened to be on strike for 6 days)
30 March: Air France on strike.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Looks like I could be stuck in Singapore for an extra day then. There are worse places to be stuck I suppose.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: Some...
Be aware that the ATC strike should begin on March 21st, 7pm CET and finish on March 23rd, 6am CET
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Flying EZE-CDG-FCO on the 23rd, and back to Buenos Aires via Paris on the 30th. Oh my luck! It seems I shall spend Easter Sunday in Rome
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by thibderoc
Be aware that the ATC strike should begin on March 21st, 7pm CET and finish on March 23rd, 6am CET
Oh joy. My flight out to SIN is at 20.50. I see that long haul flights aren't always affected depending on which union is striking - is it all of them?

Last edited by rosensfole; Mar 16, 2018 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.