Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Strike on 22 February and HOP ! pilots strike

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 2:01 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
A 6-10% salary increase. I don't know what kind of business they think they are in, but doesn't that sound like a lot?

I'm getting the feeling that strikes such as these are no longer being use daily as a last resort tactic out of nessecity, but getting more and more like a way to force the airline into whatever random things the employees want.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by LAURENTD
Hello. I just called platinum line and they told me that there is a 99% probability of strike on the 22nd. The nice lady told me that they have received instructions to modify reservation of this date at no cost. Therefore I decided to change my flight to Guangzhou from 22 to 20. This creates some extra costs for me but I have no choice as I need to be there. Do you know if I am entitled to any compensation/costs coverage ?
Thank you in advance.
Strike action never gives rise to any right to compensation.

The only time an airline is liable for accommodation costs is while you are "stranded" mid-journey, or delayed in departing - in such cases, they have a duty of care towards you until they can deliver you to your agreed destination.

While we understand that you didn't want to travel on this particular date, this still counts as a voluntary change and any added/extra expenses are yours, not the airline's.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (platinum)
strike

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Strike action never gives rise to any right to compensation.

The only time an airline is liable for accommodation costs is while you are "stranded" mid-journey, or delayed in departing - in such cases, they have a duty of care towards you until they can deliver you to your agreed destination.

While we understand that you didn't want to travel on this particular date, this still counts as a voluntary change and any added/extra expenses are yours, not the airline's.
Hello Irishguy28,
Thank your for your comment.
Just a precision regarding compensation linked to strike. If the strike happens within the company (Pilots, Flight attendants...) you are definitely entitled to a compensation, and I have been compensated several time in this case by AF. On the contrary if the strike is due to external elements (Air Traffic controllers, Airport staff...) you only have your eyes to cry.
However, I think you are right regarding the "voluntary" element. I did the change before the flight is cancelled. Yet if the original flight ends up being really cancelled, there might be a card to play. I will try and keep you posted .
Best.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Hi all - Any idea when the strike will be announced on the AF website ? So far all I know is from this thread (and from cestlagreve.fr). When will AF know which flights they need to cancel ? I have a flight from CDG to Italy on thursday evening (last flight of the day) and it still shows as operating.
thanks in advance
Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is posted on AF website:
https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...air-france.htm

And from the tone of it, it sounds serious, more so than in previous strikes.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Many
It sounds indeed very serious: while they do not know the actual impacts on the flights program they allow any ticket to be modified at no cost.

Anyway, I took the opportunity to move our 4 tickets on the 21st for free.

Last edited by bodory; Feb 19, 2018 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The way I read the press release is that HOP! flights are not affected. Is that correct? My family is traveling on HOP that day, and hard to get info from far away.
BTW, local office warned that AF185 on 23 Feb might be affected.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: *G
When Lufthansa pilots did strike, management took machines & crews of Lufthansa city line to main routes like FRA/LHR, FRA/CDG then local routes were cancelled even not Lufthansa operating routes.
If AF management does same, HOP! machines & crews could be transferred to main business routes.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: DL PM
flying IAD-CDG leaving 21st

If I'm flying on the 21st leaving IAD, landing on the 22nd in CDG, what are my chances of the flight being cancelled? I always thought incoming long-hauls weren't really affected, but is this still true? should I try to rebook on a delta or KLM?
Lisa
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:36 am

Cancellations have indeed started and my PTY flight has been affected. Nevertheless the plat line was able to rebook me very easily, but the available seats are disappearing fast!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Not familiary with French labor laws so someone please correct me, but I'm assuming Air France legally cannot fire the pilots for striking?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Lisa Flyer
If I'm flying on the 21st leaving IAD, landing on the 22nd in CDG, what are my chances of the flight being cancelled? I always thought incoming long-hauls weren't really affected, but is this still true? should I try to rebook on a delta or KLM?
Lisa
zero chance to be affected. The crew will not even on strike at outstation and your flight is the day before the strike.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:59 am

I’m flying FLR-CDG-TLV on the 22nd.

From what I have read I’m almost guaranteed to be cancelled. Got an email that said they’ll email/text me tomorrow to let me know.

Should I start looking at alternatives to get me to TLV on Thursday?

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
I received an email from Air France which said I could change flights for free (flying 22nd on Joon) but online/KLM call centre said no - wanted to charge me >€400 fare difference for changing to Friday because nothing left in my booking class. This after 20 mins on phone to Air France call centre (summarily cut off) then 35 mins to KLM.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Goldorak

zero chance to be affected. The crew will not even on strike at outstation and your flight is the day before the strike.
But the flight lands on the 22nd, so at midnight in some timezone will the pilots & cabin crew take a seat in P after announcing if anyone knows how to fly a plane please come to the front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.