FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Compensations for Cancellations/Delays/Changes - EC 261/2004 MASTER THREAD for AF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1709354-compensations-cancellations-delays-changes-ec-261-2004-master-thread-af.html)

itaexpat Jul 12, 2023 4:16 am

Originally Posted by gncohen (Post 35406154)
I think Platinum definitely helps. My two most recent data points are 10 days (Jan ‘23) and 6 days (Oct ‘22).

Originally Posted by lynxy (Post 35406161)
Mid-june, I had a phone call from AF and the vouchers + wire transfer just a week after submitting an EC261 request, with 2 platinums on the booking.

Thanks! This is promising -- since I haven't heard anything after 10 days, I might follow up already. But it's also summer so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a tad longer this time of the year.

8420PR Jul 12, 2023 6:35 am

Originally Posted by itaexpat (Post 35406084)
What are some data points on the typical turnaround time after starting a compensation request case? Does being Platinum help expedite? My case was opened about 10 days ago and I haven't heard anything yet, which I'm sure is par for the course, but I'm curious what I should expect in terms of timing.

My timeline:
  • My flight was cancelled on 14th June
  • I submitted the claim for EU261 compensation and about €200 expenses on 17th June.
  • On 18th June I received an email asking for ID and bank details confirmation.
  • On 20th June I sent in a copy of my ID and bank confirmation letter.
  • On 21st June I received an email confirming Air France would repay the expenses and a compensation voucher.
  • On 26th June I received the money in my bank account.
I was shocked.

itaexpat Jul 12, 2023 9:13 am

That sounds like an amazing turnaround time 8420PR !

I followed up with the Plat line and they said they're experiencing a higher volume than usual due to many cancellations these days. I'll keep waiting!

ccqueenanne Jul 14, 2023 5:26 pm

Update to my compensation request

Originally Posted by ccqueenanne (Post 35375342)
My family is midway through SEA-CDG-FCO and the connecting flight is currently delayed by 4 hours. Would EU 261 apply if AF says the delay is caused by the airport strike in Geneva? The AF staff at the desk say it doesn't apply because it isn't AF that is striking. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 35376119)
The whole itinerary is considered (SEA-FCO) and they cannot claim that GVA strike affected FCO service solely because of compounding delay; because the CDG-FCO flight is departing from the hub, they will have to show how the GVA strike directly affected the FCO service.

i.e. just because the FCO airplane arrived late from GVA due to the strike doesn't count, the strike has to directly affect, for example, if GVA ATC is striking and all traffic over western Switzerland has to be rerouted.

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 35377279)
Good luck. As you see on this thread sometimes they are quite forgiving and pay quick, but both at the AF as KLM thread we have these things that end up in a game of fencing off by the airline and hence a long battle. Vague claims that compensation is rejected due to bad weather, or at ATC issue, without further explanation, and no reaction on questions to elaborate while the burden of proof is on them according to EU261....

Happily, the claim for 600 Euros x 2 pax was approved! Claim was submitted 30 June, received email of a positive result on 12 July. The money is to be credited to the provided bank account "in the coming weeks", with a specific $ amount listed. Interestingly, the claim details referenced in the email weren't correct - they mentioned a missed connection rather than a delayed connection, but the result was the same.

The travel woes continued and I submitted a 2nd claim for a different AF delayed flight on 5 July, and when I checked online for the status on that one, the request had been cancelled, saying it was a duplicate of the above claim. It wasn't, but I'll just resubmit this 2nd claim once the payment is received for the 1st.

Obviously, I'm delighted by the outcome. Even if I'm not successful on the 2nd claim of 250 Euros x 2 pax, this is a nice result for a very small amount of paperwork.

atflyer Jul 15, 2023 7:56 am

Seems really hit or miss...of course I am happy for all the claimants that were paid so quickly. But you can easily find some other posts where things did not work so smoothly, also in cases where extraordinary circumstances played likely no role at all.

CaptJOB Jul 16, 2023 10:39 am

Had a flight on the 8th CDG-NCE arrive about 3.5 hours late due to mechanical. It was my wife and I on the reservation. Do I need to file separate claims for each of us or is it just one claim per booking reference?

canadavid Jul 16, 2023 10:57 am

Originally Posted by CaptJOB (Post 35418023)
Had a flight on the 8th CDG-NCE arrive about 3.5 hours late due to mechanical. It was my wife and I on the reservation. Do I need to file separate claims for each of us or is it just one claim per booking reference?

You can make a single claim but in this case, you should write specifically all the information regarding the second ticket and that you are claiming for both passenger.

itaexpat Jul 19, 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 35379267)
No, you likely hit the jackpot. As indicated above, the whole itinerary is DEN-BLQ so intercontinental. If the delay is 9 hours, and there are no extraordinary circumstances for the cancellation, that should be 600 Euro cash according to EU261 (and AF also gives non refundable flight vouchers for 800 as compensation - good value for frequent travellers). In this I assume DEN-CDG was operated by AF, if the operating carrier for this leg was non EU (e.g Delta) things become messy.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/tra...-compensation/

Hmmm, just got a reply from AF (after 17 days) and according to the rep my choice of compensation is between 250€ cash or 350€ travel voucher. Seems like they're only considering the CDG-BLQ portion of the itinerary. I'm going to reply and argue the whole DEN-BLQ trip was affected, hopefully it's just an oversight on their part. I'd consulted other compensation calculator websites and they all suggest I should receive the maximum compensation of 600€ cash.

Fabo.sk Jul 19, 2023 10:23 am

Originally Posted by itaexpat (Post 35426925)
Hmmm, just got a reply from AF (after 17 days) and according to the rep my choice of compensation is between 250€ cash or 350€ travel voucher. Seems like they're only considering the CDG-BLQ portion of the itinerary. I'm going to reply and argue the whole DEN-BLQ trip was affected, hopefully it's just an oversight on their part. I'd consulted other compensation calculator websites and they all suggest I should receive the maximum compensation of 600€ cash.

Reply to them that your flight is DEN-BLQ and legally the whole flights needs to be considered, not just the individual leg.

This first offer of compensation based on shorter leg is common, whether that's by design, or by omission is hard to tell, but by this point it is absolutely intentional on part of the airlines, and I would like to ask you to complain about this treatment to the DCAG after you receive your compensation. Hopefully if enough people complain, the authorities will press airlines to stop playing games.

itaexpat Jul 19, 2023 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 35427029)
Reply to them that your flight is DEN-BLQ and legally the whole flights needs to be considered, not just the individual leg.

This first offer of compensation based on shorter leg is common, whether that's by design, or by omission is hard to tell, but by this point it is absolutely intentional on part of the airlines, and I would like to ask you to complain about this treatment to the DCAG after you receive your compensation. Hopefully if enough people complain, the authorities will press airlines to stop playing games.

Yep, I already replied and did that! The fact that this is common doesn't feel right indeed, especially because most people wouldn't know they're entitled to more. I'm happy to report it to the DCAG.

itaexpat Jul 22, 2023 9:34 am

Ok this is getting really stupid. AF emailed today saying they have not received any reply to the latest message regarding my case -- the one in which they were offering much lower compensation than I am entitled to -- which is bonkers. I had replied minutes later to the email as indicated.

I forwarded the message to the Platinum Service Line for help. I added a bit of an angry bit: Please know if I don’t receive accurate help on my case from Air France I will have to report it to the relevant European Union authorities, as this is not acceptable behavior on the part of the airline when European regulation protecting customer rights is involved. Maybe I'm exaggerating but I'm frankly a little shocked how poorly this is being handled.

lynxy Jul 26, 2023 2:35 am

Another data point from this week: we had recently a domestic flight TLS - CDG - XXX with the night in CDG. The TLS - CDG flight was delayed by more than 3 hours (arrived at 01:25am instead of 10pm), so I submitted a claim for food in Toulouse + taxi from CDG 2F to the CDG hotel (no CDGVAL after 1am...). 8 days after submitting, I got a call saying they would reimburse the 78€ of expenses, and give two vouchers for 350€ (received a few hours later) :) I was honestly not sure about this one (for the vouchers) as it was not technically a stopover, just a night layover in Paris, so a good outcome overall!

Fabo.sk Jul 26, 2023 6:54 am

Sometimes, the airline tendency to consider the problem leg in isolation at first is a good thing :)

lynxy Jul 26, 2023 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 35445525)
Sometimes, the airline tendency to consider the problem leg in isolation at first is a good thing :)

That was my hope :D And it made the short night worthwhile haha.

danielflyer Jul 31, 2023 4:06 pm

I made an EU 261 claim for an AF flight that was cancelled. While looking through alternatives, I booked an alternative flight on Delta. I realized after paying that this was in fact the same flight that AF cancelled.
Delta still issued the ticket but I was unable to check in with Air France.

I am trying to make a second EC261 claim for this flight. However, the AF claim form keeps giving me the same tracking number as my original claim. I am assuming this is because the passenger name and flight details match a previous claim. I used an AF flight number for the first name and the Delta flight number for the second. Despite this, AF seems to be treating my second claim as a duplicate.

Will AF simply refuse to acknowledge that two instances of EC261 might be due here, or is there another way I can contact them to make this claim since the form does not work?